04' WRX about to go under the knife.. - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-23-2012, 01:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

pimmeh is an unknown
04' WRX about to go under the knife..

So i've done what i'l call "Mild modification" and tuning to my 04'. I've been daily driving the beast and i'm more than impressed about the HP gains i've made.
list of mods is as follows..

2004 WRX
AMSoil all around
K&N Typhoon
invidia Up pipe
HKS catless Down
Greddy full 3" cat back
Cobb APv2 "Stage 2"
Cobb Stort throw

Now my little TD04 is running like the wind and my injector cycle duty is...well higher than i like not to mention i have reached the limit of the stock fuel pump ect so i have began the process of acquiring some new parts...

Walbro 255 intank
tomei type "s" adjustable FPR (and additional required fittings)
06'STI TMIC with piping and BPV
as well as the remote line for my Oil pressure sender so i can monitor my oil loss as i think i have a decent amount of blow through.

so my questions are.
1- where should i mount the Tomei AFPR and will i require any additional parts? i already have the adaptors for the stock FPR's and the additional fittings but do i need additional fuel lines..ect?

2-best location for remotly locating an oil pressure sender? or advice on installition!?

3-is there any differance between my stock BPV and the 06 STI BPV that came with my TMIC? which on should i use?

4- The Tomei AFPR comes with and oil filled gauge. where the hell should i mount that? and idea's suggestions? also pictures would be awesome.

Basically i'm going to address all of my possible fuel issues so come this summer i can replace my lil TD04, stock injectors and slap a 3 port bcs on as well. if i am overlooking anything please let me know. there is a wealth of super knowledgable guys on here and i'de like your imput now as suppose to after i blow this F#$^%er up!
Thanks for your time,
Chad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-23-2012, 02:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Can't help with the other issues. But....

3 - The STI BOV is the exact same as the WRX BOV in 2004-2007 MYs. Which would mean the 2002-2003 WRX has the same BOV as well.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#3 Old 01-23-2012, 03:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I could run the sender off the rear plug on the top/back of the block on the passenger side by the turbo.. Normally I would say just plug in the sender where the stock pressure sensor is under the alternator, but if you're running remote you'll want a good spot to mount it, and there are plenty of them on the firewall. Make sure to use some sort of vibration dampening clamp (pretty much a rubber coated clamp) as they're pretty sensitive.

Something like this (even comes with a replacment tapped plug to use on that spot I mentioned:
Remote Oil Pressure Sending Kit - Gauge Installation Accesoiries

Also, don't use oil pressure as a means to judge how much oil you have left. Oil pressure dropping low should never be used to know when you're low on oil, basically it's too late if you're showing low pressure. Low oil pressure on a Subaru = smoked bearings. Just check it at each fill up.

That being said, oil pressure and temp are two of the best things to monitor.

-Chris
#4 Old 01-30-2012, 12:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

pimmeh is an unknown
Quote:
I could run the sender off the rear plug on the top/back of the block on the passenger side by the turbo.. Normally I would say just plug in the sender where the stock pressure sensor is under the alternator, but if you're running remote you'll want a good spot to mount it, and there are plenty of them on the firewall. Make sure to use some sort of vibration dampening clamp (pretty much a rubber coated clamp) as they're pretty sensitive.

Something like this (even comes with a replacment tapped plug to use on that spot I mentioned:
Remote Oil Pressure Sending Kit - Gauge Installation Accesoiries

Also, don't use oil pressure as a means to judge how much oil you have left. Oil pressure dropping low should never be used to know when you're low on oil, basically it's too late if you're showing low pressure. Low oil pressure on a Subaru = smoked bearings. Just check it at each fill up.

That being said, oil pressure and temp are two of the best things to monitor.
awesome i'm installing the sender tonight this will help big time. i actually was preping to use the most suggested locaton (behind the alt) but this will work way better. oh and i totally grabbed the Prosport remote setup. it comes with everything including the sending mounting rubber clamps ect. Oh and thanks for the heads up on the Oil Pressure's not being indicative of low reserve. Last thing i need is false confidance in my info and thus neglecting the regular checks!
#5 Old 01-30-2012, 12:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

pimmeh is an unknown
Quote:
Can't help with the other issues. But....

3 - The STI BOV is the exact same as the WRX BOV in 2004-2007 MYs. Which would mean the 2002-2003 WRX has the same BOV as well.
Yup Thanks! i installed the STITMIC a few days ago and i just used my stock BPV. it saved me having to do more than undo a couple screws! all togeather the TMIC swap was super simple..
#6 Old 01-30-2012, 01:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Just wondering why you are replacing the FPR ?

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
#7 Old 01-31-2012, 11:27 AM
WRXtuners Member

pimmeh is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
Just wondering why you are replacing the FPR ?
Basically i want to ensure the flow of fuel is never lean. the effency of my fuel pump is maxed as well as my fuel injectors are running at about 90-95% cycle duty. which means my self and pretty much everyone running the Stage two Maps on Stock injectors and fuel pumps are running the fuel system very near its maximim output. ie if anything goes wrong the engine will lean out and the chance of detonation becomes extremely high.

i've putchased a walbro which i'm actually installing tonight (just finished the STI TMIC and the sender unit for my Oil pressure.) but it's my understanding there is less benefit too simply replace the fuel pump with out adjusting the fuel pressure.

If anyone knows any differant please let me know... This is simply what i have found through my own research so if ANY HAS INSTALLED A ADJUSTABLE FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR please let me know. i have some questions as well! hahahaha

anyways hope that answers that!
#8 Old 01-31-2012, 12:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
It does, if you were going bigger an AVO would have eliminated the need for it (but to each their own)

Good luck

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
#9 Old 01-31-2012, 01:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful
To help others that might run across this thread, here's a picture of where the oil pressure galley is, right under the throttle body. I run the remote sending unit. It's been two years without any problems.

2005 WRX Cobb Stage 2
2009 Outback
#10 Old 01-31-2012, 02:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

pimmeh is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
It does, if you were going bigger an AVO would have eliminated the need for it (but to each their own)

Good luck
Thanks! so are you refering to the AVO fuel pump? if so how would that eliminate the need for a AFPR? i realize that is not a requirement but is the AVO pump really that much better?
#11 Old 01-31-2012, 02:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

pimmeh is an unknown
blk05WRX,
i would have loved thos pics last night when i did the install although after one beer and about ten minutes of humming my install ended up literally identical.
Thanks tho!
hopefully anyone looking to go down that road stumbles on this thread cause those are the best pics i've seen of the Gally plug local.

on a side note what is your idle oil pressure? running oil pressure? and do you notice that when you start the car the oil pressure takes untill its pretty much warmed up to settle??
Thanks,
Chad
#12 Old 02-01-2012, 05:54 AM
WRXtuners Member

It's a stronger/more durable pump, the walbro's are junk and they are known to take dumps (maybe because there are so many of them in use, i'm not sure). What size charger are you wanting to put in there to nessesitate a FPR ?

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
#13 Old 02-06-2012, 02:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

pimmeh is an unknown
i've been lookin HARD localy for a used Ihi vf 39 or 43 but im not maiking much headway. if i am going to purchase a new turbo i'll lakely go with a Tomei Arms m7760. I totally realize the AFPR is not a nessesity but as i mentioned before i'd like to ensure i never have fuel issues.. what do u think?
#14 Old 02-06-2012, 02:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

pimmeh is an unknown
BTW i reduced my injector duty cycle by 10% by simply adding the walbro (with the stage 2 Cobb map.)
#15 Old 02-06-2012, 06:24 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Look into the Blouch line of turbos. Last time I was looking around a turbos, Blouch was better priced than Tomei, but that was months ago. Just a thought.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"