04 sti intake manifold on 02 wrx - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 10-31-2008, 03:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

eckiller220 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to eckiller220
04 sti intake manifold on 02 wrx

would the 04 sti intake manifold work on a 02 wrx would there be any gain and is there any other parts i would have to get to make it work or run fine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-31-2008, 04:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

isd_intrepid is an unknown
Send a message via Yahoo to isd_intrepid
not sure if it will work properly since the STI uses the EJ25 engine and your 02 uses EJ20
#3 Old 10-31-2008, 06:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful
No it won't fit (without a lot of effort) and even if you did, you would get zero gains. The displacement difference has nothing to do with it. Sti is drive by wire and has side feed injectors (not sure if the tgvs have the same mounting points): wrx is drive by cable and has top feed injectors. You would need a new throttle body, possibly new tgvs and injectors, an sti pedal box, a tune, etc.
#4 Old 10-31-2008, 07:23 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
He asked about the header, not the whole friggin motor. Also, not all STi's are side feed. They stopped that a few years back.

Yes the header fits. Guess what? It's also identical. Are there gains from swapping in an identical part? Heh.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#5 Old 10-31-2008, 07:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

how does a 2.5 header fit a 2.0?
#6 Old 10-31-2008, 07:29 PM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
He asked about the header, not the whole friggin motor. Also, not all STi's are side feed. They stopped that a few years back.

Yes the header fits. Guess what? It's also identical. Are there gains from swapping in an identical part? Heh.
His post clearly states intake manifold.....

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
#7 Old 10-31-2008, 07:30 PM

Garage
/facepalm

sorry WReXd. Yeah, you don't want to use the STi's Intake manifold. You don't have the same heads.

#8 Old 10-31-2008, 07:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

wow. i totally missed that and went off on a tangent there. whooops

but my point still stands. how would it fit since the engines are physically different sizes? for either the header or the intake manifold.

EDIT:
damn your quick mosc. i was still trying to formulate what i was saying when you put yours out.
#9 Old 10-31-2008, 07:33 PM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Quote:
Originally Posted by isd_intrepid View Post
how does a 2.5 header fit a 2.0?
Because they are the same part......

#10 Old 10-31-2008, 07:39 PM

Garage
Exterior dimensions of a motor are not always just a reflection of their displacement!

#11 Old 10-31-2008, 07:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

just looked up the part numbers. and the header is the same.
your right
i'm wrong
comence the whipping
#12 Old 10-31-2008, 08:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

eckiller220 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to eckiller220
thanks cause i was looking at the spec c intake manifold from gruppe s and said 20% flow better so iwas wondering if the spec c and regular usdm sti intake manifold would be the same
#13 Old 10-31-2008, 09:19 PM

Garage
eckiller220, if you really want to improve your intake manifold, buy this:
GrimmSpeed Intake Manifold - WRX

Do you need that? No. Are there good gains from doing it? No.

#14 Old 11-01-2008, 04:40 AM
WRXtuners Member

WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Dang mosc, you are downright scary... I felt like a confused and traumatized child for a minute. I know they changed to top feed for the 07 sti, but he was asking about 04, and I assumed he meant usdm...

The spec c manifold is virtually identical to the regular jdm sti v8; I'm almost 100% sure about this. It is NOT, however, the same as ANY usdm manifold. This is because the US is cursed with tumble generator valves (tgvs).

Mosc is right; a spec c manifold would give you minimal gains over a stock setup, and probably no gains over stock w/ tgv deletes. HOWEVER, my friend, who I helped swap motors, has a v8 ej207... the manifold is absolutely gorgeous. It being one piece makes a BIG difference (imo) with fitment, simplicity, ease of installation, and just good ol' sex appeal. If I ever find one mid $300s I will definitely buy one, and I don't care if I LOSE power, haha.

Some things to note about the v8/spec mani:
The fuel rail is different, so you will need either new fuel rails or fuel rail adapters.
I didn't know this for the longest time, but there is an additional iat sensor right nex to the pcv. It happens to have the same characteristics as the one in the maf... SD anyone?
#15 Old 11-01-2008, 09:35 AM
WRXpert

None of them will flow any different than the USDM WRX manifold with TGV deletes.All your doing is paying for the JDM bling bling with the JDM STi manifold because it doesn't have TGV's and the USDM STi won't work because it uses a DBW throttlebody with a totally different mounting hole configuration.Injector configuration doesn't matter on the USDM's because of the TGV's.I can easilly mount a USDM STi manifold straight to a set of USDM topfeed WRX TGV's but because of the different throttlebodies it won't work.The DBC uses a IAC valve and the manifold has a port for it.The DBW does not have a IAC valve as the throttle plate is used as a IAC valve since the ECU already controls it.Clear as mud?