03 wrx bug eye - boost leak ?

26K views 35 replies 6 participants last post by  03bugeyeDude 
#1 ·
Hi everyone.. newbie here, first I'll list the car's mods

FMIC
3" Catback exhasut
Uppie pipe
AEM CAI

I know this been questioned/answered lots of times but I think every case it's different.
I purchased the car a few months ago during winter. I've read 00-03 bug eyes stock boost is around 14 psi but Im only boosting 8-9 psi in every gear but I've noticed (i tried twice) that on 3rd gear at high rpm it will go past 9 and it will reach 14 psi, the 2nd time I tried I got a check engine light got scared reset the ecu and went away. I know i def need a tune since the car came with all these aftermarket parts I only drive the car once a week since I walk to my job... you guys think I have a boost leak, vacuum leak. I even heard about a restrictor pill inside the vacuum lines ...could that be the problem?... !Cry!!Cry!
is there any vacuum line diagram I can download so i check the vacuum lines are installed the right way?

thanks in advance
Jay

See less See more
#2 ·
So you still have the stock downpipe?

Do you have a way to check for boost leaks? ie... boost leak tester, compressor and soapy water in a spray bottle?

Any local meets around your area? This might be your best bet if you can't find any boost leaks

#8 ·
Im getting low boost in all gears, the only way to get 13-14 psi is when Im on 3rd gear at high rpm and I floor it brfatal...

I dont think the car has to be tune for 14psi since I've read the 02-03 wrxs stock boost is 13-14 psi.... yeah the car came with a FMIC "3 dowwpipe /exhaust catless ....
I even had to fix the vacuum lines once I got the car because the lines were all installed the wrong way.. I wasnt getting any vacuum air flow... Someone even told me the wastegate might be messed up....

#11 ·
did a boostleak test and found no leaks... i do have the restrictor pill in there... lall vacuum lines are well installed ... i doubt the turbo is bad or who knows maybe its the wastegate .... i was thinking that maybe its the bcs that is bad and just replace it... a friend suggested to install a hallman mbc and just tune the car...

#15 ·
hey I know I mentioned that I have the restrictor pill in there, I do, but i replaced the T and the vacuum lines; I remember taking the restrictor pill out and put inside another new vacuum line i bought, I wonder if I put it the wrong way or if the vacuum lines have a specific size... do you happen to know the diameter?

this weekend I'm gonna take the whole bumper out and just replace all the couplers and double check the IC pipes... some of those lines have gotten really as hard as a rock (thats what she said) the ones going to the BCS.

#16 ·
I don't know the ID on those lines. I have given a couple of these out to different members on here in the past.

They do have to be a specific size for the pill to work correctly.

With a 3port BCS... that whole portion is taken off (reason for a tune).

Hope this helps.

#20 ·
Hey got caught up with work ... didnt have time to reply...
but anyways I did a quick test I installed a MBC (i know i know just temporary)
just to see if I would get some boost and I did
14-16 yikes, i tried a couple of times from 3rd gear and it would boost 14, 15, 16 unstable the last try I drove it, boosted 15 but it would drop slowly to 11-10 (obvious leak) but I fixed it... I dont have the mbc installed anymore...

I think this car was tune and previous owner either had a MBC before and installed the bcs back or the BCS is just damaged .. regardless Im gonna borrow my friends BCS ... !Cry!

sorry newbie here

thanks advance

#24 ·
So i decided to drive my car after a strong rain... car stalled a little bit warmedup and i drove, it was building boost.. i drove on 3rd gear and it was 19 psi and holding .. it will drop to 16... got a CeL ... strange ... pop the hood and notice the vacuum line from the T the goes to the bcd was cut-crack in half... replaced it and and again stock on wastegate psi... i think the bcs is damage... ill be going to autozone to get the codes

#30 ·
No I refuse to tell you what's wrong with it...I am grumpy like that....I would be willing to bet that you guys can figure it out pretty quickly by looking at the first post....*hint hint* mod list...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.