02 wrx Trans.... whats the deal?? - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 09-02-2011, 04:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

new2subaru is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by psinuse View Post
For what it's worth, I believe that if you follow the basics to upgrading these cars they will last a while longer than most believe. Now I'm not saying go out and build a 450hp motor and expect the trans to last, but 300hp is nothing to scuff at either. As far as a mod list I'd start with this list first:
1) Decided if you can afford to have the car break down and won't put you in a bind.
2) Can you mod the car and maintain the car with basic normal routine maintenance.
3) Decided what you want from the car including future modifications<--trust me on that one
4) Look at what others have done, ask questions and research
5) Save money on the side for those "Oh Crap!" moments THAT WILL HAPPEN!
6) Give the car a health check up, ie compression tests and tune up if not recently done
7) Then you can begin to modify your car.

p.s. Also check local emissions laws in your area as modifying your car can be illegal and punishable by fines and jail time.
p.s.s I'm not trying to be a d!ck or discourage you in anyway. Just simply keeping it real.
This all great info guys.. I really appreciate it. It makes 100% complete sence, and is along the same thought process as mine. I would like to get a reliable 300hp daily asskicker. Thanks again guys!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 09-02-2011, 06:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

wrx1456 is more helpful than not
Garage
I found myself being that idiot driver for a few weeks. I would guess thats expected. I really calmed down due to the cost of gas when that little boost needle gets too high. Its the needles fault!!

06 STI
http://www.armslist.com/?utm_source=c000017&utm_medium=plink&utm_campaign=p017903
#18 Old 09-02-2011, 07:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrx1456 View Post
I found myself being that idiot driver for a few weeks. I would guess thats expected. I really calmed down due to the cost of gas when that little boost needle gets too high. Its the needles fault!!
Maybe idiot is to strong a term...Very "spirited driver" should replace that

new2subaru again these cars can be fun, but also expensive. The whole save money for the "Oh Crap!" moments, my car didn't start off with a 2.34L. Although I do have my suspicions that a few people on here have money on that me posting up, "Tranny failure damn it!" thread once I get the car back on the road...

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#19 Old 09-02-2011, 09:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Quote:
Maybe idiot is to strong a term...Very "spirited driver" should replace that

new2subaru again these cars can be fun, but also expensive. The whole save money for the "Oh Crap!" moments, my car didn't start off with a 2.34L. Although I do have my suspicions that a few people on here have money on that me posting up, "Tranny failure damn it!" thread once I get the car back on the road...
I would need to be in vegas or atlantic city to start betting on that. !Laugh!

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#20 Old 09-02-2011, 09:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
$20 dollars goes a long way in Vegas.....hehe. Hey wait you're betting it will happen aren't you?

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#21 Old 09-04-2011, 01:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Although I do have my suspicions that a few people on here have money on that me posting up, "Tranny failure damn it!" thread once I get the car back on the road...
I have a feeling mine's going to be just the opposite: "Fresh tranny, blown engine damn it!" Between the two of us, we might have a complete car.

John
07 WRX
#22 Old 09-04-2011, 02:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by man show View Post
I have a feeling mine's going to be just the opposite: "Fresh tranny, blown engine damn it!" Between the two of us, we might have a complete car.
Well I will have a spare motor to drop in should mine decided to let loose...I've started shopping around for a used 03 trans to put 08 gears in...

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#23 Old 09-06-2011, 09:45 AM
WRXtuners Member

new2subaru is an unknown
So, how much is the going rate for a used short block or even a long block for a 02 wrx? I am thinking I may want to purchase one for the "oh crap" when it happens. any suggestions on that guys?
#24 Old 09-06-2011, 02:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

New shortblock will set you back anywhere between $1800-as much as you can afford.. Long blocks are going to be more for obvious reasons. That is one of the "Oh carp!" moments...I would suggest keeping the current motor maintained and it should be okay. I blew mine out of stupidity, as will I do with my trans, but I am prepared for such things. Plus I have a bitchin' 1991 ford Festiva so I am pimp anyway...lol

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#25 Old 09-06-2011, 04:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

new2subaru is an unknown
ok, I got another question..... what are the signs of a rod bearing going bad?
#26 Old 09-07-2011, 06:20 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2subaru View Post
So, what build date am I looking for? and 126k is too many miles to mod? I basically just want a full exhaust, and a stage 2 tune. what do you think about that?
The date they changed the transmission is unknown. My 10/01 has an AA transmission. My gf's 05/02 has a BA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad grocerygetter View Post
If you wanna take it a step further you can go up to a Vf 34 turbo, sti top mount intercooler, sti injectors, and a walboro 255 fuel pump and it would run real nice.
On a car with that many miles? Good luck.

Personally, I'd be spending my money refreshing parts (ie replacing bushings).

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2subaru View Post
ok, I got another question..... what are the signs of a rod bearing going bad?
#27 Old 09-07-2011, 09:57 AM
WRXtuners Member

new2subaru is an unknown
Thanks guys, I'm going to check the build date and tranny code on my car. Not really concerned at this point, just wanting to know what to look for in the future.

brfatal: I have 126k on a stock motor that has been taken care of, and I am not a "street racer". I am wanting to put full exhaust and a stage 2 tune. I think I will be fine.

Thanks for all your input. It is always appreciated.
#28 Old 09-13-2011, 10:32 PM
WRXpert

LiL Shoaf is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to LiL Shoaf Send a message via Yahoo to LiL Shoaf
"Driving style" really isn't the issue to blowing Transmissions.. I"ve blown a few. The stock gear set will hold up and last if you drive smart. I was running an early year 2002 WRX stcok 5 speed with 380whp. The transmission held up fine until I "Shock Loaded" it. Shock load it that sudded clash when the teeth engauge. With high power levels coupled with the weak gear set and the helical tooth style this speel disaster. I drag raced my WRX with stock transmission launching at 4,000rpm multiple times. The key was engaguging the teeth to they don't slam into each other. The problem however is gear changes. I would flat foot those to limit the shock loading. I however DO NOT suggest this. This is what happens when you do it wrong.

However with intelegent driving with 300 or less whp will allow a stock trans to last a lift time...

02 WRX.. "It's fun when it runs.. Problem is that it hardly ever does..."
#29 Old 09-14-2011, 06:12 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
^^That's exactly what happened to my 1st and second gears in my 07wrx...

And never did a dump in my life with it.

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
#30 Old 09-14-2011, 03:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

Yeah and that's what a 400+hp motor can do. I flat foot shift at the track, but again I don't drag race alot and don't drive it hard all the time. Although I know it is a matter of time before mine will look the same...

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...