02 wrx Trans.... whats the deal?? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 09-02-2011, 12:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

new2subaru is an unknown
Question 02 wrx Trans.... whats the deal??

Hey Guys, I have been reading on here that, the trans in the 02-07 are crap.. if you boost power it "assplodes".. What the story on these? I have 126K miles on my all stock wrx, looking to do exhaust upgrades and stage 2 tune. Should I purchase a trans too?? Lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-02-2011, 01:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

mfarnham is an unknown
The 2002 wrx has the weakest trans from what I hear. Basically, if you can't afford to rebuild your trans then don't mod your car. Otherwise, fix it when it breaks.

Mike
#3 Old 09-02-2011, 01:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfarnham View Post
The 2002 wrx has the weakest trans from what I hear. Basically, if you can't afford to rebuild your trans then don't mod your car. Otherwise, fix it when it breaks.
Depends on the build date.

Either way, that's a lot of mileage on the car to start modding.
#4 Old 09-02-2011, 02:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

new2subaru is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
Depends on the build date.

Either way, that's a lot of mileage on the car to start modding.
So, what build date am I looking for? and 126k is too many miles to mod? I basically just want a full exhaust, and a stage 2 tune. what do you think about that?
#5 Old 09-02-2011, 02:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Stg. 2 you should be okay as long as you don't drive like an idiot. I'd give the car a check up prior to doing any mods.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#6 Old 09-02-2011, 02:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

new2subaru is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by psinuse View Post
Stg. 2 you should be okay as long as you don't drive like an idiot. I'd give the car a check up prior to doing any mods.
Lol.. well, not sure what your def for "drive like an idiot" is... I do and want to drive the car hard on occassions. the car has new hubs, rotor, flywheel, axles, belts (inc timing) and has been well taken care of. I do plan on having it checked out before installation of mods. Thanks guys for all the imput.. always looking for advise. Thanks
#7 Old 09-02-2011, 02:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Well my definition is flooring at every stop light, racing everyone that is next to you, revving at everyone and pretty much all that tomfoolery.<---Wow that's a word. I'm not trying to say you're an idiot, just in general. Raging on the car once in a while is okay, hell that's what they were designed for...

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#8 Old 09-02-2011, 03:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

new2subaru is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by psinuse View Post
Well my definition is flooring at every stop light, racing everyone that is next to you, revving at everyone and pretty much all that tomfoolery.<---Wow that's a word. I'm not trying to say you're an idiot, just in general. Raging on the car once in a while is okay, hell that's what they were designed for...
.. thats would be my def of driving like an idiot, as well. I baby the car mostly, but sometimes can't resist the urge to smoke a honda or a camaro... I appreciate the info. Thanks.
#9 Old 09-02-2011, 03:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

bad grocerygetter is a helpful contributing member
I have an 03 which i believe has slightly better gears than the 02s do but mine doesn't have any real probs. My car has 150k+ miles. Every now and again 4th gear syncro doesn't wanna do its job very well but only if Im being rowdy. I never launch the car. I've never taken it down a track. So as far as i can tell its fine. It all just comes down to how you drive it.

Kevin.
Cobb ap stage 2 ots, catless uppipe, catless turboback, Cobb Sf intake.
#10 Old 09-02-2011, 03:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

new2subaru is an unknown
Cool, thanks for that info. I am now thinking I am going to start me a slush fund for a new tranny JIC it breaks.. I have launched the car once, and realized thats Not how to drive the car lol...I dont plan on taking it to the track either. Thanks guys!!!
#11 Old 09-02-2011, 03:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad grocerygetter View Post
I have an 03 which i believe has slightly better gears than the 02s do but mine doesn't have any real probs. My car has 150k+ miles. Every now and again 4th gear syncro doesn't wanna do its job very well but only if Im being rowdy. I never launch the car. I've never taken it down a track. So as far as i can tell its fine. It all just comes down to how you drive it.
Considering what I have done to my car and the fact that I have run the dog poop out of it on the original transmission, I doubt the occasional "spirited drive" is really something to worry about. Then again myself and few others believe mt trans is held together with luck and dreams....

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#12 Old 09-02-2011, 03:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

new2subaru is an unknown
I read a thread earlier about a mod's list..... that someone said was "the worst ever written"...well, does anyone know of a Good/correct mods list?
#13 Old 09-02-2011, 03:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

new2subaru is an unknown
Thanks psinuse.... Thats good to know. I have always heard these cars are ruged as hell... then I hear of all these tranny's going "BOOM"... I'm just new to the subaru and want to make a very reliable/ asskickin daily driver.. any input on that guys? Thanks!
#14 Old 09-02-2011, 03:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

bad grocerygetter is a helpful contributing member
I think most will agree...a protuned stage two car runs pretty well. If you wanna take it a step further you can go up to a Vf 34 turbo, sti top mount intercooler, sti injectors, and a walboro 255 fuel pump and it would run real nice. Again a protune with all those parts. Don't forget to work the suspension and tires over somewhere in there to get the power to the ground. Sways and endlinks are a good start. Good luck man.

Kevin.
Cobb ap stage 2 ots, catless uppipe, catless turboback, Cobb Sf intake.

Last edited by bad grocerygetter; 09-02-2011 at 03:43 PM. Reason: punctuation
#15 Old 09-02-2011, 03:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

For what it's worth, I believe that if you follow the basics to upgrading these cars they will last a while longer than most believe. Now I'm not saying go out and build a 450hp motor and expect the trans to last, but 300hp is nothing to scuff at either. As far as a mod list I'd start with this list first:
1) Decided if you can afford to have the car break down and won't put you in a bind.
2) Can you mod the car and maintain the car with basic normal routine maintenance.
3) Decided what you want from the car including future modifications<--trust me on that one
4) Look at what others have done, ask questions and research
5) Save money on the side for those "Oh Crap!" moments THAT WILL HAPPEN!
6) Give the car a health check up, ie compression tests and tune up if not recently done
7) Then you can begin to modify your car.

p.s. Also check local emissions laws in your area as modifying your car can be illegal and punishable by fines and jail time.
p.s.s I'm not trying to be a d!ck or discourage you in anyway. Just simply keeping it real.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...