Subaru WRX Forum banner

02 wrx Trans.... whats the deal??

7K views 30 replies 10 participants last post by  turmic 
#1 ·
Hey Guys, I have been reading on here that, the trans in the 02-07 are crap.. if you boost power it "assplodes".. What the story on these? I have 126K miles on my all stock wrx, looking to do exhaust upgrades and stage 2 tune. Should I purchase a trans too?? Lol:confused:WTF

#6 ·
Lol.. well, not sure what your def for "drive like an idiot" is... I do and want to drive the car hard on occassions. the car has new hubs, rotor, flywheel, axles, belts (inc timing) and has been well taken care of. I do plan on having it checked out before installation of mods. Thanks guys for all the imput.. always looking for advise. Thanks!Thumbs Up

#7 ·
Well my definition is flooring at every stop light, racing everyone that is next to you, revving at everyone and pretty much all that tomfoolery.<---Wow that's a word. I'm not trying to say you're an idiot, just in general. Raging on the car once in a while is okay, hell that's what they were designed for...

#8 ·
ROFL.. thats would be my def of driving like an idiot, as well. I baby the car mostly, but sometimes can't resist the urge to smoke a honda or a camaro... I appreciate the info. Thanks.!Thumbs Up

#9 ·
I have an 03 which i believe has slightly better gears than the 02s do but mine doesn't have any real probs. My car has 150k+ miles. Every now and again 4th gear syncro doesn't wanna do its job very well but only if Im being rowdy. I never launch the car. I've never taken it down a track. So as far as i can tell its fine. It all just comes down to how you drive it.

#11 ·
Considering what I have done to my car and the fact that I have run the dog poop out of it on the original transmission, I doubt the occasional "spirited drive" is really something to worry about. Then again myself and few others believe mt trans is held together with luck and dreams....:D

#10 ·
Cool, thanks for that info. I am now thinking I am going to start me a slush fund for a new tranny JIC it breaks.. I have launched the car once, and realized thats Not how to drive the car lol...I dont plan on taking it to the track either. Thanks guys!!!

#13 ·
Thanks psinuse.... Thats good to know. I have always heard these cars are ruged as hell... then I hear of all these tranny's going "BOOM"... I'm just new to the subaru and want to make a very reliable/ asskickin daily driver.. any input on that guys? Thanks!

#14 · (Edited)
I think most will agree...a protuned stage two car runs pretty well. If you wanna take it a step further you can go up to a Vf 34 turbo, sti top mount intercooler, sti injectors, and a walboro 255 fuel pump and it would run real nice. Again a protune with all those parts. Don't forget to work the suspension and tires over somewhere in there to get the power to the ground. Sways and endlinks are a good start. Good luck man.

#15 ·
For what it's worth, I believe that if you follow the basics to upgrading these cars they will last a while longer than most believe. Now I'm not saying go out and build a 450hp motor and expect the trans to last, but 300hp is nothing to scuff at either. As far as a mod list I'd start with this list first:
1) Decided if you can afford to have the car break down and won't put you in a bind.
2) Can you mod the car and maintain the car with basic normal routine maintenance.
3) Decided what you want from the car including future modifications<--trust me on that one
4) Look at what others have done, ask questions and research
5) Save money on the side for those "Oh Crap!" moments THAT WILL HAPPEN!
6) Give the car a health check up, ie compression tests and tune up if not recently done
7) Then you can begin to modify your car.

p.s. Also check local emissions laws in your area as modifying your car can be illegal and punishable by fines and jail time.
p.s.s I'm not trying to be a d!ck or discourage you in anyway. Just simply keeping it real.

#16 ·
This all great info guys.. I really appreciate it. It makes 100% complete sence, and is along the same thought process as mine. I would like to get a reliable 300hp daily asskicker. Thanks again guys!!!!Thumbs Up

#17 ·
I found myself being that idiot driver for a few weeks. I would guess thats expected. I really calmed down due to the cost of gas when that little boost needle gets too high. Its the needles fault!! :p

#18 ·
Maybe idiot is to strong a term...Very "spirited driver" should replace that;)

new2subaru again these cars can be fun, but also expensive. The whole save money for the "Oh Crap!" moments, my car didn't start off with a 2.34L. Although I do have my suspicions that a few people on here have money on that me posting up, "Tranny failure damn it!" thread once I get the car back on the road...:p

#23 ·
So, how much is the going rate for a used short block or even a long block for a 02 wrx? I am thinking I may want to purchase one for the "oh crap" when it happens. any suggestions on that guys?

#24 ·
New shortblock will set you back anywhere between $1800-as much as you can afford.. Long blocks are going to be more for obvious reasons. That is one of the "Oh carp!" moments...I would suggest keeping the current motor maintained and it should be okay. I blew mine out of stupidity, as will I do with my trans, but I am prepared for such things. Plus I have a bitchin' 1991 ford Festiva so I am pimp anyway...lol

#27 ·
Thanks guys, I'm going to check the build date and tranny code on my car. Not really concerned at this point, just wanting to know what to look for in the future.

brfatal: I have 126k on a stock motor that has been taken care of, and I am not a "street racer". I am wanting to put full exhaust and a stage 2 tune. I think I will be fine.

Thanks for all your input. It is always appreciated.

#28 ·
"Driving style" really isn't the issue to blowing Transmissions.. I"ve blown a few. The stock gear set will hold up and last if you drive smart. I was running an early year 2002 WRX stcok 5 speed with 380whp. The transmission held up fine until I "Shock Loaded" it. Shock load it that sudded clash when the teeth engauge. With high power levels coupled with the weak gear set and the helical tooth style this speel disaster. I drag raced my WRX with stock transmission launching at 4,000rpm multiple times. The key was engaguging the teeth to they don't slam into each other. The problem however is gear changes. I would flat foot those to limit the shock loading. I however DO NOT suggest this. This is what happens when you do it wrong.

However with intelegent driving with 300 or less whp will allow a stock trans to last a lift time...

#30 ·
Yeah and that's what a 400+hp motor can do. I flat foot shift at the track, but again I don't drag race alot and don't drive it hard all the time. Although I know it is a matter of time before mine will look the same...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.