02 wrx questions - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 25 Old 05-12-2010, 03:40 PM
WRXpert

LiL Shoaf is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to LiL Shoaf Send a message via Yahoo to LiL Shoaf
Just keep in mind that a Pro Tune is the best bang for your buck when it comes to power..

However I agree that a good starting point is a full Turbo Back Exhaust, an Up-Pipe and the AP would be a good starting point.. The Coob "Off the shelf" generic map is better then the factory one once you swap out these other parts.. Just keep in mind that the 02 transmission is know as a "Glass Box" for good reason. Improper shock loading can break gears at stock power levels...

02 WRX.. "It's fun when it runs.. Problem is that it hardly ever does..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 Old 05-12-2010, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

rizzowrx is an unknown
alright so i have my eye on the perrin up pipe, and the turboXS exhaust with Ti tip....Turbo XS Turbo Back Exhaust Titanium for 02-07 WRX/STi, WS-TBE-TI-RP, Subaru Impreza WRX Turbo XS Turbo Back Exhaust Titanium for 02-07 WRX/STi.... and AP and hks bov are next on the list. or possibly an intake. havent decided just yet.
post #18 of 25 Old 05-12-2010, 07:33 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
You don't need the bov... TXS is a good choice also because of the available cat.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #19 of 25 Old 05-13-2010, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

rizzowrx is an unknown
I know the bov isn't necessary, but I really like the sound, and also it will be needed in the long run with the plans I have for the car. It won't hurt it right? I'm going catless for sure, I've also looked at the p and l system they have... Still wondering about an up pipe tho. I was thinking perrin or hks but don't know what's better. Does the piping size matter?
post #20 of 25 Old 05-13-2010, 03:20 PM

Garage
yes a BOV will hurt, no you don't need it "in the long run"

Uppipe you don't really need to do with the stock turbo. It's just a safety mod when you start substantially increasing the airflow. Piping diameter of the stock is fine, there's no point in putting a wide uppipe when the turbo diameter and your exhaust manifold diameter aren't changing.

post #21 of 25 Old 05-13-2010, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

rizzowrx is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
yes a BOV will hurt, no you don't need it "in the long run"

Uppipe you don't really need to do with the stock turbo. It's just a safety mod when you start substantially increasing the airflow. Piping diameter of the stock is fine, there's no point in putting a wide uppipe when the turbo diameter and your exhaust manifold diameter aren't changing.
why would the bov hurt? and also i hear that the cat in the up pipe is known to cause problems with the turbo. i heard that it starts to fall apart and messes up the blades.
post #22 of 25 Old 05-13-2010, 10:35 PM
WRXpert

LiL Shoaf is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to LiL Shoaf Send a message via Yahoo to LiL Shoaf
The Up-Pipe is deffinitly a "Since your in there might as well do it".. mod.. LOL. You have to pull off the Down pipe to replace the Up-Pipe so you might as well change it now since you want to go catless.. That cat will slow air flow a bit so might as well get it out of the way.. As for the pipe Dia, keep it the OEM size. You want to keep the Velocity of the air high so don't enlarge the pipe on the stock turbo or you will lose pressure. Well, you will lose air velocity..

As for the BOV check around, there a TON of posts about this so don't take my word for it. Anyway, the BOV will release pressurized air into the air making that whosh noise everyone wants. The propblem is that the stock ECU has already metered that air volume and added fuel to mix with it in the combustion chamber.. Thing is instead of plumbing it back into the intake system like the stocker your freeing it from your system. So what you say, what about all that extra fuel you now have.. A motor running rich doesn't make as much power.. So if you want to hear that sound more do an elbow delete and free up the intake flow.

02 WRX.. "It's fun when it runs.. Problem is that it hardly ever does..."
post #23 of 25 Old 05-15-2010, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

rizzowrx is an unknown
^ so basically ill just be running rich between shifts if i get the bov without tuning it? atleast thats what im getting out of my research about it. i cant see that robbing me of much hp...
post #24 of 25 Old 05-15-2010, 08:41 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzowrx View Post
^ so basically ill just be running rich between shifts if i get the bov without tuning it? atleast thats what im getting out of my research about it. i cant see that robbing me of much hp...
it bogs down the car and you'll get a sluggish feeling when you first get into gear. Acceleration isn't just about HP. If you're ever going to accelerate in more than one gear sequentially, it can really slow you down. That's best case too. Often times, aftermarket BOV's leak or release too early/too late and can cause severe damage.

post #25 of 25 Old 05-22-2010, 10:24 AM
WRXtuners Member

Kramericaa is an unknown
Just get a turbo back and a tune. From past experience I would do them close to the same time. I did a turboback prior to the tune on my 02 and popped codes within the first week. Your really not going to get much gain from a turboback with no tune except for the sound. I wouldn't get an intake if I had to do all over again either, definately NOT a BLOW OFF VALVE! If you really need that sound I would just go with cobbs sf intake(that is if you go with their AP as well). What I'm sayin is: if you choose the wrong aftermarket intake your gonna pop codes and lose performance, again I learned that the hard way also. Anywayz, turboback and tune, and your in business.