02 wrx questions - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 05-10-2010, 06:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

rizzowrx is an unknown
Exclamation 02 wrx questions

hey guys, im new to the subie world and i had a few questions that i was looking to get answered... i traded in my Si for a wrx...

i have an 02 wrx and i was wondering what are some good starting mods to do to it? from what i understand i cant just run a turboback exhaust without getting it tuned. also i was wondering what exactly i need in order to make it a "stage 2". sorry if im questions seem ignorant, but im trying my best to read up on everything and figure things out on my own.

Thanks,
Marc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-10-2010, 11:30 PM
WRXpert

bigbadbuddha is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to bigbadbuddha Send a message via MSN to bigbadbuddha
You can start by reading here
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/foru...?forumid=95
What I would suggest for starters is to get a good set of tires......
When they say stage 2 it varies slightly from company to company. generally stage 2 for your 02 wrx is removing your catted uppipe for catless, changing your downpipe for a better flowing catted or catless, and changing remainder of exhaust for something free flowing... does not necesarilly need to be tuned but a very good idea...

Big Jae -
JDM version 7 bugeye
#3 Old 05-10-2010, 11:33 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
woah, welcome back Jae!

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#4 Old 05-10-2010, 11:37 PM
WRXpert

bigbadbuddha is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to bigbadbuddha Send a message via MSN to bigbadbuddha
LOL thanks dude been a while but I figured i would start contributing again to the community that gotme started...

Big Jae -
JDM version 7 bugeye
#5 Old 05-11-2010, 05:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

rizzowrx is an unknown
ok so to get this straight, i dont NEED to have a tune in order to run a tbe? also, the car has new tires so thats not an issue right now.. right now on my list is a tbe, hks bov, and cobb ap. good start?

also to add to the tbe comment, if i get the APS tbe, will that delete all my cats if i get the catless version? (uppipe and downpipe?)

Last edited by mosc; 05-11-2010 at 10:39 PM.
#6 Old 05-11-2010, 05:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

rizzowrx is an unknown
I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post! I will not double post!

Last edited by mosc; 05-11-2010 at 10:39 PM.
#7 Old 05-11-2010, 05:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Technically, the tbe only includes your downpipe (contains 2 catalytic converters on all 2002-2007 WRXs and STis) and cat back. The up pipe is separate (containes 1 catalytic converter on 2002-2005 WRXs only, all other models are catless). But yes, if you replace your stock downpipe with a catless downpipe and your stock up pipe with a catless up pipe, you will be getting rid of all your stock catalytic converters.

Here's another pretty good resource on modding: Unabomber's Manifesto - NASIOC

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#8 Old 05-11-2010, 06:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

scoobyrooftw is an unknown
dont get a blow off valve. just leave the stock one on. it works fine to like 20 psi and wont cause your engine to run rich during shifts
#9 Old 05-11-2010, 08:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

rizzowrx is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by man show View Post
Technically, the tbe only includes your downpipe (contains 2 catalytic converters on all 2002-2007 WRXs and STis) and cat back. The up pipe is separate (containes 1 catalytic converter on 2002-2005 WRXs only, all other models are catless). But yes, if you replace your stock downpipe with a catless downpipe and your stock up pipe with a catless up pipe, you will be getting rid of all your stock catalytic converters.

Here's another pretty good resource on modding: Unabomber's Manifesto - NASIOC
but getting a tbe will be replacing the up pipe and down pipe correct? dont mean to be lol just want to make sure my facts are straight.
#10 Old 05-11-2010, 08:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Nope, a tbe is only the downpipe (dp) and the cat back (cb). The up pipe is located before the turbo, so it's not part of the turbo back part of the exhaust. It's still a great idea to replace it when you're installing your downpipe because you'll have access to it while everything is apart and it's always good to get rid of that pre-turbo cat if you plan on modding your car.

I'd attach a pic of the WRX exhaust diagram, but for some reason, my comp won't let me post pics any more.. gotta figure that one out soon because it's driving me crazy.

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#11 Old 05-11-2010, 09:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

rizzowrx is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by man show View Post
Nope, a tbe is only the downpipe (dp) and the cat back (cb). The up pipe is located before the turbo, so it's not part of the turbo back part of the exhaust. It's still a great idea to replace it when you're installing your downpipe because you'll have access to it while everything is apart and it's always good to get rid of that pre-turbo cat if you plan on modding your car.

I'd attach a pic of the WRX exhaust diagram, but for some reason, my comp won't let me post pics any more.. gotta figure that one out soon because it's driving me crazy.
perfect, thats what i thought but for some reason i was getting mixed signals about the up pipe.. are there any uppipes that are better than certain ones? obviously im going to go catless.
#12 Old 05-11-2010, 10:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
02-05 WRX exhaust diagram

That should answer a lot of questions.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#13 Old 05-12-2010, 05:54 AM
WRXtuners Member

rizzowrx is an unknown
^ yes it answers pretty much everything. thanks... still wondering if i can run a tbe without a tune? also is there a good uppipe that i should consider? ive been looking and the prices seem to vary alot.
#14 Old 05-12-2010, 12:06 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
You can run any year STI up pipe or 06-07 WRX up pipe as they are catless and can be find for cheap. If money is an issue, if not I run a Kakumei on mine ($250) fits like a glove. Thick welds and nice long studs for if you upgrade your turbo and the stock studs dont reach or decide to snap off when taking it off.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#15 Old 05-12-2010, 02:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

scoobyrooftw is an unknown
you can run a tbe without a tune on 02-03 wrx. you wont get the full benefit from them but you wont hurt anything