02 WRX loudest exhaust/catless upand down pipes - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 Old 03-26-2005, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

newbe02WRX is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to newbe02WRX
02 WRX loudest exhaust/catless upand down pipes

OK guys here's the deal. I have sort of a custom exhaust system on my car right now. What i have is a 3" Stromung midpipe running into a custom made 3" straight pipe with a 4" tip that me and a buddy made. Here's my problem: i swear i have heard cars with mufflers that are luder than my car with no muffler. What's up with that?

Now i'll say this. I want to get a catless uppipe and maybe a downpipe as well and just run one single highflow cat. Who makes the best up and downpipes #1. Also how will this effect emissions? I know about the CEL thing, but i figured i could get that CEL eliminator deal. Not sure exactly what it is just looks like some wires.

Last but not least who makes the LOUDEST cat back system for the 02 WRX? I want to get noticed and don't want to just run an open DP like i have read some guys did. Any info will be appreciated and thanks in advance guys.
L.J.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 03-26-2005, 03:11 PM
Ian

Ian is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Ian
I don't think you will pass emission's with just one catted DP, your best bet would be to keep your factory set up and put it back on when you have to go to emissions. As far as being loud I would say Helix up and down pipe with the Espelir cat back, I have that exhaust and it is very loud
post #3 of 42 Old 03-26-2005, 10:02 PM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
I have the Perrin catless downpipe and the Perrin cat-back. I get comments all the time about the loudness... Most everyone can hear me atleast a block away before they see my car. In fact, my mom gauges when I'm home by feeling her room on the far end of the house rumble. My roommates get upset because I wake them up when I have 8am class and their windows shake if their room faces the same side of the house.

A lot of people say Perrin is one of the loudest for the WRX, and I can assure that it is. I have yet to hear one louder than mine. There are a lot of modded cars here at WVU, and I can't say if there is one louder than mine. I sure haven't noticed!

In fact, just the other day, a girl approached my car when we were leaving a parking garage and said "My boyfriend REALLY wants to hear your exhaust. Will you rev it for him?" I smiled and floored it to redline, and I hoped the poor people didn't go deaf that was behind my car as my BOV whistled. Sure honey, your boyfriend wanted to hear it...

Although, I'm thinking about getting a custom resonator welded in the help tone it down a tad sometime over the summer. Just makes it harder during interstate driving, although my ears tend to tone it out after 15 minutes of driving it.

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
post #4 of 42 Old 03-27-2005, 12:13 AM

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to IBAUCLAPlaya
The TurboXS RFL is a turboback w/ 4" downpipe, high flo cat, and a real f*ckin loud muffler. I have it and love it. The Blitz NUR spec is very loud, as well as the HKS Carbon Ti. But I have heard the loudest of all is an ATR I think Cosmo said. But all 4 of those listed are VERY loud. As for uppipe, I say Perrin, TXS or Helix.
post #5 of 42 Old 03-27-2005, 07:33 AM
WRXtuners Member

WRXtreme is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to WRXtreme
I am going to say a the Turbo XS RFL-Ti turoback is going the loudest. I suggest going with a Helix uppipe and then the TXS TBE. I have the TXS downpipe on my car and I can't hear my BOV anymore. If its quiet out at high idle my car can be heard about a block away.

As for emissions, you will pass as long as you aren't throwing a code. Get the CEL fix kit and you will be fine running catless. Inspection is a different story. I've heard they are thinking of getting rid of emissions in PA anyway.

Last edited by WRXtreme; 03-27-2005 at 07:35 AM. Reason: Forgot to add something
post #6 of 42 Old 03-27-2005, 10:54 AM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
www.atrperformance.com

The loudest. Period. Yes, I've heard the TXS RFL and the Perrin, and they aren't as loud.
post #7 of 42 Old 03-27-2005, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

newbe02WRX is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to newbe02WRX
Cosmo and everyone else thanks for the info. That ATR setup looks pretty nice and reasonably priced too. Looks like for $648 i could get the 3" downpipe and the catback with the single tip. As far as the ATR sound, Cosmo how does it sound? I want it to be loud, but sound good at the same time.

This CEL fix kit deal. How does it work? What's involved in hooking it up? And i live in PA and we have that new OBD-2 emissions idle test. If i go catless and get the CEL fix kit will i have any problems passing? I am not worried about the visual as my inspection mechanic is cool like that. Some day i would like to get the ECUTEC programing done and that should adjust for the catless set up right? But for now i just am wondering if i'll pass with the CEL fix kit. Thank you guys in advace again. Talk to you soon.
L.J.
post #8 of 42 Old 03-28-2005, 07:14 AM
WRXtuners Member

WRXtreme is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to WRXtreme
I am from PA as well. There have been several local WRX owners to pass emissions with no cats and the CEL fix. As long as your car isn't throwing a code you will pass. And IF you somehow wouldn't pass, you have 30days to swap the stock downpipe on and take it back for another emissions test at no charge.
post #9 of 42 Old 03-28-2005, 08:33 AM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
First of all, I think most people on here know how I feel about a reflashed ECU, so I won't get into that.

But, the CEL fix is very simple to install. You just splice it into a couple of wires.

As for emissions, I don't know. We don't have emissions tests.
post #10 of 42 Old 03-29-2005, 02:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

thibs is an unknown
I cant believe the atr could be louder than the perrin! Not that Im sayin your wrong cosmo but my perrin UP and TBE sounds like a harley with hte pedal to the floor from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. And long trips?! Ya, your ears tone it out after 15 minutes but thats a good sign your going deaf. If you want loud the atr may be louder, but I cant see how there can be anything louder than deafening. BTW it does sound nice, but u know there are those times where u might not want to be loud......
post #11 of 42 Old 03-29-2005, 03:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

Well, having compared them both, I can tell you the Perrin is not as loud...
post #12 of 42 Old 03-30-2005, 09:59 AM
WRXtuners Member

thibs is an unknown
lol, thats gotta be insanely loud!!
post #13 of 42 Old 03-30-2005, 01:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

ScoobySnax is more helpful than not
Gut your stock uppipe, buy any 3 inch catless downpipe and go to a muffler shop and have them make you a full 3 inch system from the DP back. Put the tip on it of your choice. Hey presto, loudest possible exhaust for cheapest price.
If you are not comfortable getting a shop to make a straight through system for you, send me an email, I make em out of stainless all the time.
post #14 of 42 Old 03-30-2005, 04:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

03wrxwgn is an unknown
Check his out-http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7964915273&category=33557&sspagename=WDVW
I bought this for $15. Works great!!!! Dont have to splice anything. Just screw it into the O2 bung and your O2 on top of it and your done!!!
post #15 of 42 Old 03-30-2005, 04:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobySnax
Gut your stock uppipe, buy any 3 inch catless downpipe and go to a muffler shop and have them make you a full 3 inch system from the DP back. Put the tip on it of your choice. Hey presto, loudest possible exhaust for cheapest price.
If you are not comfortable getting a shop to make a straight through system for you, send me an email, I make em out of stainless all the time.
DO NOT gut your uppipe. First of all, cats contain asbestos, which is highly toxic. Second, if you don't get absolutely every bit of it out, it will come loose and make its way into your turbo. A good uppipe can be had for less than $100. Better to do that than spend several hundred for a new turbo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03wrxwgn
Check his out-http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7964915273&category=33557&sspagename=WDVW
I bought this for $15. Works great!!!! Dont have to splice anything. Just screw it into the O2 bung and your O2 on top of it and your done!!!
Or you can go to an auto parts store and buy a couple of spark plug no-foulers for a dollar and do the same thing...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement