Subaru WRX Forum banner

02 wrx cutting out at 4500rpm

11K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  basco 
#1 ·
So I just picked up my new to me 2002 WRX last night. Everything is great on it except that when I started driving harder last night, I noticed it is cutting out at WOT at 4500RPM. It almost seems like its hitting a govenor. It will cut out at 4500 then come back on and maybe cut out a couple more times until redline. This is obviously happening really quick. Sometimes it will cut out for longer like 1/2 sec vs. .2 seconds maybe.

I have done some research and searched on other forums. Here is my question. Is the aftermarket Cold Air Intake that I have causing this problem? I realize that intakes are not good for these cars, but this what was on it when I bought it. Otherwise it has a full Cobb Exhaust from the turbo back with no cats. I also have the Accessport tuner set on stage two, which says it is for full exhaust and stock intake. Do I simply find a factory intake and my problems go away or do I have bigger problems? Thanks for all the help. I also know that the spark plugs have recently been changed in the last 10k miles.

Does anyone happen to have a stock intake they would be willing to part with? Should I just get the $150 Cobb intake since all the Cobb stuff works together?

Thanks, Joe

See less See more
#4 ·
The Cobb SRI will net you next to no gains, but is better than the CAI currently on the car. I may have my stock box and elbow laying around. I havent seen it in awhile, but if interested let me know in a PM.

#6 ·
get that CAI off there asap before something bad happens.

the car's ecu is based on operating along two axes: rpm and load. load is based off the mass air flow sensor and rpm. if the intake messes with the airflow sensor (which it does) then you will be operating the car with faulty load information. garbage in, garbage out. when it blows itself up you'll have no one else to blame but you.

#7 ·
I ended up getting ahold of a stock intake box. It made no difference at all. Ride5000, I completely believe in what your saying but for me it didn't work. I will definitly be keeping the stock intake though. I also tried every tune on the accessport and then un-installed the accessport. Still no difference. Its cutting power at about 14-15 psi.

So its been at my regular shop since last friday. They noticed the exhaust gasket from the turbo to the downpipe is leaking and they believed the fuel cut off valves located on/near the gas tank were going bad. This shop is not a Subaru shop per say but I know them very well and they always do me good on all of my other vehichles. They talked to other shops and a subaru dealer before replacing these so called valves and felt confident thats what it was. I talked to them today and these cutoff valves did not seem to make a difference. I didn't have lot of time to talk to the shop but will hopefully know more tommorow.

Anyone have any other ideas?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.