02 WRX Catback - Subaru WRX Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 07-16-2014, 09:28 AM
WRXtuners Member

Cameron Kerper is an unknown
02 WRX Catback

alright guys, so I've had my rex for about a year now and I have decided to put some work into it. I live in a state that requires a cat to pass emissions, so there goes the the turbo back option. I was looking for a decent exhaust with a deeper sound for around $400-$500. I think this is a decent price for a catback. I know it is all personal preference and everything, but I was just looking to guidance. Thanks for reading
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-16-2014, 11:42 AM
WRXtuners Member

arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Kerper View Post
alright guys, so I've had my rex for about a year now and I have decided to put some work into it. I live in a state that requires a cat to pass emissions, so there goes the the turbo back option. I was looking for a decent exhaust with a deeper sound for around $400-$500. I think this is a decent price for a catback. I know it is all personal preference and everything, but I was just looking to guidance. Thanks for reading
I know its a bit more expensive than you are looking to spend but the Invidia Q300 is kind of a crowd favorite. Its a nice blend of burly low tone without excessive drone. If you just want to be louder there are a few companies that make muffler deletes, They give you a louder, deeper, less finished tone. Look for "nameless" as the brand, A good friend of mine grabbed one for his BRZ and it sounds great.

If you live in states that require a CAT to pass SMOG then you could always go for a catted down pipe from Invidia or Cobb, that way you can do a complete turbo-back while bending the SMOG regulations. Lots of guys pass SMOG with catted downpipes and you can enjoy some extra power to go with the more agressive sound.

One thing to keep in mind is in most CARB regulated states replacing a "functioning" catalytic converter with any part other than OEM "unless an OEM part is not available" is grounds for SMOG failure. That said most SMOG guys are not going to call you out on a down pipe that has a CAT and passes the sniffer test.

Jason
13 WRX Hatch
#3 Old 07-16-2014, 02:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

thekamikaze kid is a helpful contributing member
try this...
https://asdfadsfdfs.shutterfly.com/pictures/8

this is the borla 14978, its in your budget and it sounds awesome! this is what i have. not yet sure how it mates up with downpipes yet though.
#4 Old 07-16-2014, 04:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I ran an HKS Carbon Ti on both my previous wrx's and love it!!

Search your options on YouTube

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#5 Old 07-16-2014, 10:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

303_Scooby is an unknown
Try TurboXs! i spent about 568 for mine not including shipping fee's its not really loud at idle but when your driving its really deep especially if you getting on it. Just a suggestion though , Good luck.

P.s you can always get a downpipe, but keep your stock one take it to a exhaust shop and get the old downpipe flanges welded to match up your new catback. Then when it comes time to do emissions you just have to change out the downpipe?
Cameron Kerper likes this.
#6 Old 07-17-2014, 12:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

Thanks for all of the responses! All of the options that you guys threw out there sound and look great. Does anyone have an opinion on the invidia N1? I feel like that's the only one that wasn't talked about yet
#7 Old 07-17-2014, 01:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303_Scooby View Post
Try TurboXs! i spent about 568 for mine not including shipping fee's its not really loud at idle but when your driving its really deep especially if you getting on it. Just a suggestion though , Good luck.

P.s you can always get a downpipe, but keep your stock one take it to a exhaust shop and get the old downpipe flanges welded to match up your new catback. Then when it comes time to do emissions you just have to change out the downpipe?
I really like the turbo xs stuff now that I've looked further into them, the only thing that is throwing me off is the fact that they have two catback systems close in price, but I can't tell much of a difference. It just seems it's the difference in the muffler and tip? But I figure that the sound produced would be much different. Any thoughts?
#8 Old 07-17-2014, 03:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I never ran the N1 on my 02&04. Although I had the Invidia N1race on my 11' and loved it. I just didn't like single exit on my new body style.
Sound/drone/fitment and looks were all a 9/10 in my book.

Hope that helps a little.

Randy-
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#9 Old 07-17-2014, 03:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

303_Scooby is an unknown
@ Cameron. Yeah thats pretty much all the difference between the two if the muffler tip. I would assume that more expensive one with the bigger muffler tip and blue ring around it or whatever might be a little louder but i think that's about it. I would upload a video of my TurboXs exhaust but my phone is shit haha!
#10 Old 07-18-2014, 11:35 AM
WRXtuners Member

wrxwagon24 is an unknown
On my 02 Wagon I run an SRS catback that is the n1 style and it's a little loud for me but it came on the car when I bought it. But SRS now has a catback that is very similar to the invidia q300 in look and sound and it's right in your price range. Let me look up what the exact model is and I will post it up for you.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
#11 Old 07-19-2014, 02:41 AM
WRXtuners Member

Fidrat is more helpful than not
All those noise makers are fine for kids. Grownups use this...2002-2007 Borla Cat-Back Exhaust Touring part # 140053 AKA; "hush" I got mine for $570.

photo IMG_1903_zps53e9f694.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10AOSHU_XjE

All right, where is the distributor cap? I need to find the #1 plug wire to hook up my SUN machine.
#12 Old 07-19-2014, 09:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

I know your balls have sagged further than mine. But I'm still on my mid 30's
boo-key bear likes this.

Randy-
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#13 Old 07-20-2014, 11:08 AM
WRXtuners Member

wrxwagon24 is an unknown
Check out the SRS type re catback it should be around what you are looking for

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
#14 Old 07-20-2014, 05:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

303_Scooby is an unknown
LOL Fidart my first choice was Borla and im only 18....but.. i what i found they wanted almost 800 for it so TurboXs was my next. Bet it sounds good though!!

"Life's to short to stay stock!"

2005 Wrx Wagon (Silver)
#15 Old 07-20-2014, 05:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

thekamikaze kid is a helpful contributing member