02 Sti? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 03-14-2010, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

kyfi87 is an unknown
02 Sti?

So I bought my '02 somewhat hastily. I thought i was gettin hooked up but I keep finding stuff wrong with it. If i get rid of it I would come out on bottom but it would give me a chance at an STI. If I keep it though, I am gonna tear it apart and start from the ground up, trying for an 02 STI. I am thinking ver 7 swap, rhd, try to get the body pieces together. Any input would be great whether its good, bad, or tips on trying for the 02 STI idea. Thanks for any input and keep the rubber side down!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-14-2010, 09:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

04paulieWRX is an unknown
u will end up spending alot alot of money.. much more than if you sell your wrx and get an sti. the only reason i would say to keep it is if you have some sentimental attachment to it. if you dont, you should get an sti this way you have the 2.5 stronger block and the 6-speed and the cool-factor of saying you have an sti
post #3 of 8 Old 03-14-2010, 09:08 PM
WRXpert

LiL Shoaf is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to LiL Shoaf Send a message via Yahoo to LiL Shoaf
Well, this is a never ending discussion with very valid points on both sides..

I personaly chose the 02wrx route and built the CRAP out of it.. However there are things that I want that would have been standard on the STI.. Most will say to go the STI route to get a better starting platform which is sound depending on your modification ideas... If you plan to go all out 400+whp time attack car then there is no point as you will be upgrading all the suspension, motor, and breaks anyway so keep the WRX and pay cheaper insurance.

However if you plan to go with a mildly aggresive street car go for the STI. there will be no need to upgrade the motor (internals) or the transmission.. Slap on a nice mid sized turbo and supporting mods with a nice tune and your golden..

I hope this helped a bit..

02 WRX.. "It's fun when it runs.. Problem is that it hardly ever does..."
post #4 of 8 Old 03-14-2010, 10:05 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
I agree with Shoaf on both his points. Im in the slow process of building my 07WRX. Transmission should be going in in a few months. I would keep the bugeye personally, and do the swap, minus the RHD. Have you ever actually driven a RHD car before? Its cool, but not fun at the same time imho.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #5 of 8 Old 03-15-2010, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

kyfi87 is an unknown
All your guys input is appreciated. I know the debate as far as all out WRX or mild STI is ongoing and pretty heated. I do plan on doing a lot of mods and the more mods i do, the more track time i plan on. As far as the rhd, i haven't driven one but if i do try for the 02 STI idea i figure once i am used to it, it would be normal after a while. Mainly considering that cause when i see a jdm front end on an integra for instance with lhd, it kills me, just trying to stay somewhatly authentic, or so the idea goes. There will always be STI envy but a creationn that is all mine would be amazing. I dunno, guess we will wait and see. Thanks again for the input!
post #6 of 8 Old 03-15-2010, 05:16 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I can understand the want/need to be different or an individual. Im right there with you. The thing about RHD is that we live in America, where all driving is of course centered around LHD. My biggest thing to point out is when passing on a 2 lane road. In a LHD car you can kind of peek out and see if traffic is coming, in a RHD you either have to have a "spotter"/your passenger look for you, or pretty much take the whole car out in the other lane to check for a car. That was the killer for me when I was looking to be an R34. The pedals are the same, the gear pattern is actually the same, just with the left hand and the higher gear closer to you. Im sure you could learn to like it and get used to it, just wasnt my cup of tea. Good luck with your decision, keep us updated.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #7 of 8 Old 03-15-2010, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

kyfi87 is an unknown
Huh, i never thought of the whole two lanes and passing thing. That could prove to be problematic. No point in putting all that time and effort into a rhd only to get taken out trying to pass someone. Thank you for pointing that out, thats why i am open to any input. As far as the rest is concerned though, I will keep you all posted.
post #8 of 8 Old 03-15-2010, 05:39 PM

Most people dont really think about it. I know I did when I was test driving the R34. It was kind of intimidating. That was my big deciding factor on not getting the car.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement