WRX to STI swap EJ257 motor - Subaru WRX Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 12-11-2013, 09:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

sofakingchill2 is an unknown
Garage
WRX to STI swap EJ257 motor

I just bought a 2002 WRX with 156,000 miles on it for $8,200 2 weeks ago. But I might have rushed into buying it. I want to swap the EJ257 motor and 6-speed tranny into it. My friend is going to help me swap in the motor and tranny into it if I choose to buy it for my car. But my question is should I sell my car and buy a real STI impreza (but the cheapest one is like 13,000). or should I just go with the motor and tranny swap into my car. and how difficult is it to swap a motor and tranny into a wrx?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-11-2013, 09:59 PM
Premium Member

boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Sell it and get a sti . Save yourself some headache, time and possibly money.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#3 Old 12-11-2013, 10:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by boo-key bear View Post
You should listen to this guy....He knows a thing or two.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#4 Old 12-11-2013, 11:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

Jkas is an unknown
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boo-key bear View Post
He is right, 100%. I'm still working out the headaches, have no more time and well. Im piss broke.
boo-key bear likes this.

Kasper
2002 WRX Bugeye
2013 Mazda CX-5
#5 Old 12-13-2013, 09:32 AM
WRXtuners Member

Brasilcat is an unknown
Jkas,
Can you give us a little bit more info on your experience?
Which route you took and maybe what would you have done different?
Thanks
#6 Old 12-13-2013, 09:39 AM
WRXtuners Member

Brasilcat is an unknown
sofakingchill2,

I'm considering a similar approach to my 2002 WRX WAGON.

However, the guys at Yimisport(good guys) have steered me more into a stage 2 upgrade.

Let's see where we end up
#7 Old 12-13-2013, 11:13 AM
WRXtuners Member

Jkas is an unknown
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brasilcat View Post
Jkas,
Can you give us a little bit more info on your experience?
Which route you took and maybe what would you have done different?
Thanks
Yea, not a problem. It's a bit of a long story and my grammar may go to hell somewhere along the lines.

I started out with a stock 02 wrx 2.0. Blew the motor beating the snot out of it as it was already blowing oil and I had a wrecked 07 sti at the father-in-laws garage. Once I started pulling and swapping I ran into more complications then I knew what to do with. ECU, fuel, harness etc etc. Once I got it all in and running, I kept running into ecu issues. Not sure if it was bad due to the accident or just surged or bad harness or bad install. I'm going with bad install.

Got a new harness and ECU. Got it back up and running again and I started loosing oil pressure. I didnt rebuild the motor before I swapped even though I should have. It started and ran after the accident. Ripped the motor back out for a full tear down. Sent the block and heads off to get tanked, decked blah blah. They call and tell me my DS head is warpped and needs replaced. This is where I start banging my head off the ground.

Started reading up on hybrid motors and how too. Pulled the heads off my 2.0. Teared them apart and figured it out. Bought two brand new heads and sent them to the machine shop to get mated and valve job blah blah blah. Pulled the new harness out and put the old stock harness and ECU back in. Stock injectors, fuel pump etc etc. Once I got it running condition I sent it off to a garage to get finished. I ran out of time due to deployment. Ran out of money due to a wife. It's still not done.

What I would have done differently. Bought a 2004 STI and been done with it.

Kasper
2002 WRX Bugeye
2013 Mazda CX-5
#8 Old 12-13-2013, 11:44 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
I found a motor and tranny for 3,000. I figured that and the proper install it should be a total of 4,000 in parts? I have looked at STI's but they r soooooooo expensive. Thank u for your info tho
#9 Old 12-13-2013, 02:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
sofakingchill2,

However, the guys at Yimisport(good guys) have steered me more into a stage 2 upgrade.

Listen to the guys at Yimi. They know a few things about Subarus...
turmic likes this.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#10 Old 12-13-2013, 03:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
156,000 miles is a LOOOOT of miles to start modding after.

It's cheaper to buy an STI than to swap.
#11 Old 12-13-2013, 08:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
156,000 miles is a LOOOOT of miles to start modding after.

It's cheaper to buy an STI than to swap.
...and here yet again you've been told.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#12 Old 12-13-2013, 10:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Quote:
sofakingchill2,

That is my tuning shop as well. Listen carefully to what they say, you will be glad you did. Don't be afraid to ask them intelligent questions. They will give you the reasoning behind their recommendations.

Check out my profile and/or garage. I suspect you may be led down a similar path. Probably not an identical path since there are newer parts that have come out since most of my engine mods were done (such as newer model turbos, TMICs, and Exhaust systems).

Matt
70 to 100 faster than you can say "whoooossshh!"
#13 Old 12-14-2013, 10:11 AM
Premium Member

boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
If your really wanting to do this swap even though you have been told its not worth it and there are other routes you should explore then heres what you need. A complete sti engine (this is turbo, heads, intercooler, oil pump, EVERYTHING!). A sti transmission. Depending on the year transmission you could need all 4 axels, rear diff, driveshaft, dccd brain, dccd controller, all hubs, all 4 brembro brakes, 5x114 wheels, seals, slave cylinder, clutch, flywheel, shift linkage and shifter assembly. And I'm not even sure if you would need a sti ecu and wiring harness. Now factor in labor, downtime, gaskets, fluids, and other small unexpected stuff and I think you would be lucky to come out with 15k total in a car thats almost 12 years old and still dosent have all the features or perform as well as a real sti. If you really can get a sti engine and trans for 3k you should jump all over that as long as its legit. As you said, you have only had the car 2 weeks. Enjoy it some first. If you really want sti performance without breaking the bank just buy a vf39 turbo, sti intercooler, tbe, and a tune. If you want the drivetrain throw that in as well. Slow down, read, search, and take it all in grasshopper. We are here to help but cant help people who refuse to listen.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#14 Old 12-14-2013, 01:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
thank you for that info. I will probably sell it now. i'll take your advice on selling it, i'm just really hopeing I can get at least $8,200 back for it. whats the cheapest you have seen a true STI sell for?
#15 Old 12-14-2013, 01:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

Brockton is a helpful contributing member
Garage
If an STI is dirt cheap, theres probably something wrong with it. Around here 04/05's go for around 16k for high milage up to 20k for lower milage. In good working condition.