Wrx to sti? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 08-22-2013, 02:33 AM
WRXtuners Member

n8mcd is a helpful contributing member
Wrx to sti?

I know I posted not to long ago about trading in my wrx... But I'm at it again... Haha... I have a 2005 wrx in really good shape... I'm trying to determine if I should take it to stage 2 or trade it in... There a re a few stis not too terribly far away from me (4 hours).

I'm talking to the dealership right now to see what kind of deal/monthly payment I can swing.

If you were me would you take an 05 wrx to stage 2, or just trade into an sti? The stis that I'm looking at are between 13,500 and 15,000 and are 04/05 (my favorite scoobie body style).

Is there anything about the stis that I should be weary of?
If I have my facts straight the sti really didn't change a whole lot from 04 to now?

The one I'm looking to get most is listed at $15,000 and has 111,000 miles
The others have just under 150,000 miles and are $13,500
My current car has 120k on it...
I'm a little concerned about trading in for the 150,000 mile ones because I drive about 15k a year at least and paying for 4-5 years on something that's going to be getting close to 200k by the time I'm done just scares me a little...

I'm thinking if I can get 9k trade in and put another 500-1000 down I could have almost the same monthly payment as I Do now?

Any input is appreciated as well as any info on the sti that I might be over looking?

What do 04/05 stis get for gas mileage on the highway?
I get about 25-28 mpg in my car 90% hwy miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-22-2013, 04:18 AM
WRXtuners Member

General-Leo is more helpful than not
It really depends on what you plan on doing.
Me personally I plan on over time replacin quite a bit on the car with better aftermarket parts, time and money pending haha.
So It would have been silly for me to get the STI because eventually I would end up taking off all the parts that make the STI run an extra 10K.
#3 Old 08-22-2013, 04:33 AM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Quote:
Originally Posted by General-Leo View Post
It really depends on what you plan on doing.
Me personally I plan on over time replacin quite a bit on the car with better aftermarket parts, time and money pending haha.
So It would have been silly for me to get the STI because eventually I would end up taking off all the parts that make the STI run an extra 10K.
Um...you're going to take off the 6spd trans, better differentials, different axles, ecu SI-drive feature, and take off the bigger brake calipers? There are more differences then a different turbo/intake layout and suspension bits.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#4 Old 08-22-2013, 06:25 AM
Premium Member

the RIOT act is more helpful than not
Garage
^these are the more important pros^

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Brandon - 13' SWP WRX Sedan
#5 Old 08-22-2013, 06:55 AM
WRXtuners Member

Lol, what do you guys think about buying one of the higher miles sti? There aren't many stis up here in redneck-ville michigan... I know a few people with wrxs with the 2.0 that have over 200k at stage 2 and running strong...

Also, I see 2.0 wrx stage 2 dyno videos on YouTube... Some people are hitting the 250wtq mark and over just with the stage 2 tune and exhaust/ intake. How the hell are they doing that? I was under the impression that the 2.0 generally made 220-240 whp and 200-220 wtq max... Some of them are only getting 220-230 horsepower but somehow getting 250 torque...

I could live with my 2.0 wrx if I could hit 250 wtq and 240 hp....

Still kinda want an sti though

There's a really nice looking 1 owner wrb 2005 sti but it has 148k miles... Not sure how I feel about that....
#6 Old 08-22-2013, 07:43 AM
WRXtuners Member

LW_Black4 is more helpful than not
Garage
If you're not into modifying and maintaining a modified auto, I'd go with the STi and just maintain it with stock replacement parts when required. It'll be more trouble free.

If you like improving a vehicle and have no issue with the maintenance that goes with performance mods, then just improve your WRX. Getting STi-level performance out of a WRX is simple and cost-effective, but you still don't have the complete balanced package, it's durability or that 'cherry blossom red' badge'.

Laszlo - blue '04 WRX
Meet the turbocharged rally-bred Subaru WRX.
blue '09 STi - lease return
#7 Old 08-22-2013, 07:48 AM
WRXtuners Member

I really don't have any issue with maintaining or modifying, but I won't go past stage 2 until the car is paid off... No turbo swaps or motor builds for this guy unless I win the lotto.

Never driven a 6 SPd car before... Ill see what the dealers say after I emailed them... I'm defiantly not going to take a huge but financially just to get the sti... But if they come up with an ok offer I might take it...
#8 Old 08-22-2013, 10:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

#9 Old 08-23-2013, 04:41 AM
WRXtuners Member

General-Leo is more helpful than not
Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
Um...you're going to take off the 6spd trans, better differentials, different axles, ecu SI-drive feature, and take off the bigger brake calipers? There are more differences then a different turbo/intake layout and suspension bits.

I don't see why I can't. Don't get me wrong I know these are not small Upgrades by any means, but like I said I plan to do these over time... like when my brakes need replacing, why not upgrade them etc etc. I plan on keeping this car as long as possible and just upgrade it as I go.
I know that I am new to the forum but I am not completly lost in the sense that I know that the turbo and suspension are the only upgrades to the STI.
#10 Old 08-23-2013, 06:12 AM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Quote:
Originally Posted by General-Leo View Post
I don't see why I can't. Don't get me wrong I know these are not small Upgrades by any means, but like I said I plan to do these over time... like when my brakes need replacing, why not upgrade them etc etc. I plan on keeping this car as long as possible and just upgrade it as I go.
I know that I am new to the forum but I am not completly lost in the sense that I know that the turbo and suspension are the only upgrades to the STI.
Right, but the SI drive is a feature built in the STI ECU with a adjustable knob on the center console area. Can't really swap out a ECU, but...this is ###### the least useful addition that a STI gets.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#11 Old 08-23-2013, 09:11 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
how much would you pay for a white 04 stage-2ish STi with 64k miles on it, just curious?

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#12 Old 08-23-2013, 09:31 AM
WRXtuners Member

06_hawk_eye is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
how much would you pay for a white 04 stage-2ish STi with 64k miles on it, just curious?
There's an 04 sti everything stock with 81k on it where randy bought his for 18,999. Seems high my opinion

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
#13 Old 08-23-2013, 09:55 AM
Premium Member

arewmors is more helpful than not
Garage
There's a 07 near me that has 37k miles for $30k. It has a bunch of mods.

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/cto/3955568629.html

Andy - 12 WRB WRX
Tuned by Innovative Tuning
294 AWHP / 311 TQ
#14 Old 08-23-2013, 12:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

AP Auto Group

This one looks a little nicer and stock. And it's much closer. I'm looking to trade in my wrx for an sti and keep my monthly payments around 250-280. I know that the cars are priced high, that's why you barter with the dealer
#15 Old 08-23-2013, 01:13 PM
Premium Member

arewmors is more helpful than not
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8mcd View Post
AP Auto Group

This one looks a little nicer and stock. And it's much closer. I'm looking to trade in my wrx for an sti and keep my monthly payments around 250-280. I know that the cars are priced high, that's why you barter with the dealer
Yea I wouldn't recommend buying the one I had the link too. Just thought it was interesting.

That one seems pretty good. I would definitely go look and even test drive if they let you and see what it's all about. Stock is good! :thumbup:

Andy - 12 WRB WRX
Tuned by Innovative Tuning
294 AWHP / 311 TQ