WRX or STI - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 Old 09-06-2006, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

kendall is an unknown
WRX or STI

I don't have the money at the moment for the STI. Should I wait? Should I get the WRX TR and do mods to it. I know there's 70 hp differance, but can that be had with aftermarket parts on the WRX TR? Also I wouldn't want to void my warranty. Please PM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 09-06-2006, 09:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

dans06lmt is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to dans06lmt
Hey if you can afford the sti go for it...you can deffenatly achieve the extra 70 horsepower you mentioned with a tr, as for doin it without voiding your warrenty in some way
post #3 of 36 Old 09-06-2006, 10:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

mxboy15u is an unknown
Warranty is for losers...You cannot avoid voiding it, even if you are stock, Subaru loves dropping the "abusive driving" bomb. They do it on every warranty claim. So just pretend like you don't have one at all.
post #4 of 36 Old 09-06-2006, 11:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

rex-ya is more helpful than not
The STi is a lot more than just 70 more HP. The car is a step up from the WRX in just about every area. (no offense intended to WRX owners, I used to be one) Braking, suspension, drivetrain, etc, are all bumped up a notch or two on the STi. Yes, it is a good $6 or $7k more expensive, but if you were to try to replicate the STi on a WRX, you'd end up paying way more.

I used to have an 03 WRX. I put around $11k into it, and it was nice. Sure, it was faster than an STi in a strait line but inferior in every other way. (well, it did have nicer wheels)

IMO, if you can stand to wait, save for the STi. In the long run you'll be better off.

'06 WRX STi
post #5 of 36 Old 09-07-2006, 09:40 AM
WRXtuners Member

9d2TSi is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to 9d2TSi Send a message via MSN to 9d2TSi
Quote:
Originally Posted by rex-ya
The STi is a lot more than just 70 more HP. The car is a step up from the WRX in just about every area. (no offense intended to WRX owners, I used to be one) Braking, suspension, drivetrain, etc, are all bumped up a notch or two on the STi. Yes, it is a good $6 or $7k more expensive, but if you were to try to replicate the STi on a WRX, you'd end up paying way more.

I used to have an 03 WRX. I put around $11k into it, and it was nice. Sure, it was faster than an STi in a strait line but inferior in every other way. (well, it did have nicer wheels)

IMO, if you can stand to wait, save for the STi. In the long run you'll be better off.

Get the STi, better car all around to begin with.

My car is well, it's like 10 lbs of shit in a 5 lb bag...

<------ Click to see what I'm workin' with. ;)
post #6 of 36 Old 09-07-2006, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

kendall is an unknown
Thanks guys. Very informative. I've been thinking about a third possible car that would land in the middle of the pricing field between the TR and the STI. However, I don't think I'm suppose to say that name on this forum. Hell, why not. Has anybody raced an Evolution? Any past owner's. Anything you've heard; good, bad, ugly? Who better to ask than the number one contender? After all you guys must know your enemy. I had Camaro and Mustang and have respect for all. So with that said, thanks again for all the info.
post #7 of 36 Old 09-07-2006, 12:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

wrxroy is an unknown
Send a message via MSN to wrxroy
If you get an Evo, you will be considered a traitor and be sentenced to death! Find a used STi man. That's what I did. I went from an 02 wrx to an 04 STi. It is amazing the difference and I had a bunch of mods! I don't know if I could go back to a WRX. I picked mine up for about 22k with 30k miles on it. I love it man. Stick with the Subaru man, you won't regret it! Don't go to the darkside!
post #8 of 36 Old 09-07-2006, 12:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

shamrock is an unknown
STi
EVO

The EVO may be a little faster , but the sti is better in every other way, longevity, looks, reliability, interior and looks.

Evo takes the place of the horse

_Ryan_
2004 Wrb "BUGEYE"
http://www.misubie.com/
post #9 of 36 Old 09-07-2006, 02:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

9d2TSi is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to 9d2TSi Send a message via MSN to 9d2TSi
It doesn't matter what you get. It's all in how you take care of your car.

On the subject of Evo's, people can say what they want. Here's a guy I know's car.

I think it's sweet.

http://buschurforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16464

My car is well, it's like 10 lbs of shit in a 5 lb bag...

<------ Click to see what I'm workin' with. ;)
post #10 of 36 Old 09-07-2006, 03:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

Speedogomer is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Speedogomer
....waits for Nose Nuggets to chime in about the STI.....

Nothing wrong with an Evo, around a track they are damn quick. The styling is a matter of personal preference, and neither of them are Aston Martins.

Personally I'd take th STI. Wait a little bit, save up, and buy the STI... I wish I would have.

Another choice if you're looking for a little more Luxury (and more expense) is the Audi S4... AWD and 340hp V8.

Also the MazdaSpeed 6 competes in the same segment as the STI and Evo, but is much softer around the edges... still is a competent car, not as hardcore as the Evo and STI.

-Justin, aka Gomer
(sold)-05 WRX
(new)-04 Cadillac CTS-V
post #11 of 36 Old 09-07-2006, 04:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful
ive just decided to stop posting in these threads. posting the same stuff three times a month is stupid. what i will post is what i posted last time

lock these threds. lock em up! stacy should post one reply that says "USE THE GOD DAMN SEARCH BUTTON YOU NEWB-TARDS" and then lock it.
post #12 of 36 Old 09-07-2006, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

kendall is an unknown
Thanks for the input guys. I may be back with an STI if I choose to go the Subaru route.
post #13 of 36 Old 09-07-2006, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

kendall is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nose Nuggets
ive just decided to stop posting in these threads. posting the same stuff three times a month is stupid. what i will post is what i posted last time

lock these threds. lock em up! stacy should post one reply that says "USE THE GOD DAMN SEARCH BUTTON YOU NEWB-TARDS" and then lock it.
So are you like a wanna be moderator, or do you prefer junior mod?

Last edited by kendall; 09-08-2006 at 09:23 AM.
post #14 of 36 Old 09-08-2006, 09:40 AM
WRXtuners Member

ManicsWrX is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to ManicsWrX
^ No hes just like me and sick of ppl not using the search feature

Chris- ▼SbiΣ Mi▼
242 AWHP / 318 TQ
post #15 of 36 Old 09-08-2006, 11:37 AM
WRXtuners Member

smores is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to smores
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nose Nuggets

Honestly, +1.... I keep seeing these threads. And I think it's been dug up from a while ago, but it's always a new post. Always the same question. And of course the STi is better. If the WRX was better, it would cost more. If you can afford it, get it. I only got a WRX because I worked at an Acura dealer that happened to get one at a very good price, so I jumped on it. I got this car for about half of what a used STi goes for in my area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement