Which WRX to get? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-29-2008, 09:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

vegaspsyco is an unknown
Which WRX to get?

Within the next 2 or months or less I'm planning on selling my car (getting about 17500+) and am trying to decide which Subaru Impreza to get. I want a wagon for the extra space and sleeper capability and definitely need a manual transmission. I would have as my daily driver (less then 40 miles a day) and would like to have it be faster then lightly modded STI's and EVO's. I don't need ridiculous HP and want good MPG (which is why I'm selling my car). I already have a list of parts I'm thinking about getting (Ive been researching for a few months and they add up to about $2-3K), if you want to know what they are and think they're relevant let me know and I'll make a basic list.

Option 1: 2004-2005 Impreza wagon (cheaper so I can have the 2.5 engine and add a turbo)
Option 2: 2004-05 WRX wagon (already has turbo for easier mods but only 2.0)
Option 3: 2006-07 Impreza wagon (moonroof possible, 2.5 and add a turbo)
Option 4: 2006-07 WRX wagon (more expensive, moonroof possible, 2.5 w/turbo, no money for a while for mods)

Is it easy and relatively cheap to add a turbo to a NA engine compared to buying one w/turbo and upgrading?
Should I get the 06-07 over the 04-05 for the bigger engine, but have less money for upgrades?

P.S. I'm not trying to be mean to the bug eye owners but I rather spend the money and get a newer car and I read somewhere that 04+ have better stock suspension parts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-29-2008, 10:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

MilesFox is an unknown
if you are going the turbo route it would be easier to upgrade the 2.0 turbo than to slap a turbo on the 2.5, as far as compression and engine management is concerned.

basically, an already turbo is less likely to blow up than a higher compression n/a motor with a turbo, without swapping around heads or internals.

you will probably want to do some research on compression ratios as part of your decision making
#3 Old 02-29-2008, 11:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

vegaspsyco is an unknown
Does the 06-07 WRX have pretty much all the same engine components except a smaller turbo?
#4 Old 03-01-2008, 02:24 AM
WRXtuners Member

loser05 is an unknown
if i were u would but a wrx take of the decals/wing and add a 2.5i emblem there is ## sleep that is fast enough to beat most cars.

then as far as modding it to beat the sti's/evo's.. start with a ecu like the cobb accessport and then get a downpipe or a TBE ( turbo back exhaust )

then once those two mods are done its all really up to u.

some people talk about putting TMIC ( top mount intercoolers ) or FMIC ( front mount )

or u can to a bigger turbo with the supporting mod ( fule pump injector rails ect. )

or could start with weight reduction and pullys...

but dont forget to get a protune for ## car after adding a few mods so u dont hurt the engine by running rich/lean.

Loser.
#5 Old 03-01-2008, 07:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

Z/WRX is an unknown
you want to beat mildly modded STI's and EVO's but don't want crazy hp with good gas mileage. This is not going to happen. Not to mention that with the WRX or impreza the tranny is something you'll have to worry about even in stock form, not to mention once you start modding. Your best bet is to just get an STI to begin with. Otherwise plan not only for the mods you are thinking about but also a new tranny to go with it.

77 280z, 84 300zx, 06 WRX TR
#6 Old 03-02-2008, 09:37 AM
WRXtuners Member

loser05 is an unknown
@ z/wrx

from my understanding the wrx trannie can handle around 350 whp but after that u will break them...

well if putting down 350 whp u could beat a littly moded sti or evo or stang or cammaro...

correct me if im wrong just what i have been told in the past by many...

( my car is still stocker atm )

Loser
#7 Old 03-02-2008, 10:32 AM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
Quote:
Originally Posted by loser05 View Post
@ z/wrx

from my understanding the wrx trannie can handle around 350 whp but after that u will break them...

well if putting down 350 whp u could beat a littly moded sti or evo or stang or cammaro...

correct me if im wrong just what i have been told in the past by many...

( my car is still stocker atm )

Loser
hate to say it but your wrong. lol, no harm intended. on a serious note people have broken their trannys in stock form, mainly b/c of the driver's drving habits.

and i would go with an 05 wrx, the 2.0 can handle more than u think. and can get to sti whp numbers on stock turbo.

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
#8 Old 03-02-2008, 04:04 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Im with baller on that. If you drive like an idiot,well the you are going to get whats coming to you. They are techniques out there that take some of the shock off the tranny, but more wear on clutch and what not.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#9 Old 03-02-2008, 08:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

vegaspsyco is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by loser05 View Post
@ z/wrx

The 300hp that the STI has stock is at the crankshaft right? So even 300 hp at the wheels on a 2.0 would theoretically be faster then the STI, right? (to get 300whp on a 2.0 does it require lots of upgrades?)

Edit: Does anyone know how much HP a 16G turbo (better for a daily driver, right?) has over stock?
#10 Old 03-03-2008, 02:03 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
1) Do not consider turboing an NA car. It's a bad idea 99% of the time. The compression is totally wrong as are the heads, etc etc etc. Just because it's the same displacement does NOT mean it's a similar motor. The 2.0L in the WRX is far far closer to the 2.5L in the later wrx's or STi's than what's under the hood in a 2.5i impreza despite the displacement difference. If you want a turbo car, BUY A TURBO CAR!

2) The stock tranny is not good at 350whp... more like 350 FLYWHEEL hp. People break them all the time at stock power levels and raising the power level (especially if you had a 2.5L to begin with) just makes it more dangerous. 350whp is a ton for the stock tranny. You'll have to drive cautiously not to snap it. Some people drive like that all the time so it's not a big deal. Then again, those people aren't the kind to more than double the stock power levels of their new ride.

3) The difference between the 02-05 WRX's 2.0L and the 06-08 WRX's 2.5L is greatly exaggerated. The low end torque is the main difference, NOT the hp potential. With a stage 2 upgrade on both, the 2.0L catches up pretty well there too. Is more displacement helpful for making more power? Sure, just don't think it's going to translate into 25% more power because it's 25% more displacement.

4) There are at TON of different "16G" turbos of various sizes on the market. You're going to have to be more specific. I can tell you though that the EJ20 makes 280-300whp with easy bolt ons and if you're relatively nice to your tranny, it should hold up OK at those levels. If you'd care to find another AWD car for ~$15k used that with ~$3k in mods is doing 300whp let me know what you find.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#11 Old 03-03-2008, 03:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspsyco View Post
I... would like to have it be faster then lightly modded STI's and EVO's.
I get the feeling you underestimate how much power lightly modded evos and make: ESPECIALLY evos. From what I've heard, they hardly have to do anything to make 300whp. Depending on your definition of "lightly modded," you'll most likely need some pretty expensive mods (i.e. bigger turbo w/ supporting mods, fmic, etc.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspsyco View Post
Does the 06-07 WRX have pretty much all the same engine components except a smaller turbo?
Besides the .5L more displacement, the 06/07 wrx also has avcs and larger injectors. I don't know much else, but I personally think it'd be worth it to get an 06. The torque increase is noticeable, especially in low rpms. Plus I keep liking how they look more and more (especially since the 08 came out).

A small 16g should get you to about 260-280 whp (correct me if I'm wrong) depending on other mods, dyno, etc. I personally don't recommend going much bigger than that on a stock tranny. People have claimed to daily drive 350 and even 400 whp on the stock tranny without issues, but it seems they are the exception.

The cheapest route to 300whp is (my opinion, feel free to disagree):
evo3 16g ($700-1000)
modded stock injectors ($200)
walbro fuel pump (~$75)
tactrix cable ($85)
turboback exhaust ($500-1200)
larger tmic ($200-900)

Optional:
water/meth injection ($200-900)
headers ($300-100)

That should be within your budget. But of course, you'll also need suspension goodies.