Subaru WRX Forum banner

wrx gas mileage

39K views 12 replies 13 participants last post by  subyaddict 
#1 ·
i realize you dont buy a wrx for the gas mileage but my dad wants me to ask about peoples average mpg in their WRX. im about to buy a 2002-2005 wrx any things to add? thank you

#4 ·
When I do over 85% freeway driving at crusing speeds (re: 75mph-ish and not accelerating on onramps as fast as possible) I can see between 25-28mpg. When a tank of gas consists of mostly city type driving (re: spirited) I usually see between 21-25mpg.

I should say that my driving style is to time traffic lights (re: maintaining/changing speed, be it faster or slower, so I don't have to come to a complete stop any more than necessary).

These are averages that I have regularly calculated by dividing tripodometer mileage by gallons of gas pumped. My 2002 engine internals are stock and my turbo is a EVOIII 16g.

In my opinion, the WRX is really not that bad for gas mileage but it all depends on how heavy your foot chooses to be (and how many times you must come to a complete stop).

#6 ·
Guess I am pretty lucky- lowest I've seen is 20.1, and a high of 32 going downhill, but according to the computer I have averaged 23.4 mpg since I bought my 09 10k miles ago.

Granted a lot of that is highway, but there is a bit of spirited runs through the streets and passing of semi-trucks on the back roads. I am also running Stage 1 for the last 1k miles- no difference in the mpg, but sure makes the engine rev smoother.

-D

#8 ·
This is a topic that has been covered many times here BTW. I still run the TD04 with stage 2 upgrades. Average hi-way mileage is 26 for me, but have achieved 29 when really trying. Combined driving, I average about 22. On track (road course lapping) I have gotten as low as 8.5.

Point is, your driving style and habits will dictate your MPG up to what the car is capable of. If you're a stop light racer, expect your city MPG to drop into the teens. It's all about the weight of your right foot, and how much you love the boost !!

#11 ·
Yeah I have a stock 09' WRX Wagon that usually gets 21 when I'm driving to and from work, and a little over 25 when cruise controlin' a roadtrip. I actually got 28.4 for about 50 miles when I drafted an 18-wheeler last weekend (1-second behind). Ah thank you Mythbusters.

#12 ·
the last time I drove on pumpgas I got 34mpg on a trip from Daytona to Wet N Wild in Orlando, but now running Q16 full time I've been getting 16mpg, although that is only a 500 mile sample

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.