WRX bugeye engine swap - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 06-02-2012, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

lancealot is an unknown
WRX bugeye engine swap

Hi I Blew up my 2002 wrx. I am Buying a new short block and was wondering how hard a DIY swap would be... and how much it would be to have it done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-02-2012, 05:38 PM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
To answer the first question, that all depends on how much experience, confidence and patience you have. The first time I did one, I took my time and spread it out over 10 days, working on it after work.At a good shop or dealership, that job will bill any where from 13-18 hrs if the heads don't need anything drastic. I'm guessing Maine shops are in the $80-90 per hour range.

A good shade tree mechanic or fledgling shop might quote you way less, but you get what you pay for. I could come up and do it for you on two weekends (one to pull, tear down and send out the heads, one to reassemble and stab it back in) but you might not want to pay my price and you'd have to come up with a hoist and stand, as I just sold mine.

Who did you order the short block from ? Did you order the rest of the stuff (gasket & seal kit, oil pump, oil cooler etc.) ?

Cullen
post #3 of 5 Old 06-02-2012, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

lancealot is an unknown
I ordered my short block from somerset Subaru Parts outlet on ebay. And yes i got every thing i need. I have experience on dirtbikes, four wheelers, and any thing else with a motor just not a car. I have the patience but am trying to get the confidence up

post #4 of 5 Old 06-02-2012, 10:04 PM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
engine pull 101

Having done a few of these, I think it's just as easy to pull it complete, rather than the method above. Full shop manuals here: Impreza Manuals | ken-gilbert.com

Was it a spun bearing ? What's the mileage on the car ? Are you planning on having the heads gone through ? Lash starts getting out of adjustment (too tight) above 90k or so. Obviously a good time to replace clutch, too.

Cullen
post #5 of 5 Old 06-03-2012, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

lancealot is an unknown
I probably should have made it clear above... I did not blow it up My aunt did and of all things, she ran it out of oil (not surprising since it is a woman!Laugh!).. But She headed to virginia and left the car to me and i was wondering if it would be worth it to fix it(definitely seem as though it is). The car has 96xxx thousand miles and she just had put in a new clutch. Yes i am having the heads done.