Subaru WRX Forum banner

WRX better than STi

4K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  STi_from_DSM 
#1 ·
Alright guys so I have an 06 WRX and I am financing it right now and really wanted to trade it for an STi but I realize I would obviously come out with a loss. I have seen some forums where people are saying there are only a couple things you have to do to make it as good or better than an STi. I have Perrin short ram intake, blow off valve, Cobb down pipe from the turbo, straight pipe to an invidia cat back, and a stage two clutch. Just recently got a new standard WRX transmission in it through warranty insurance. So my question for you is what would be the most logical next mods?

#7 ·
OP have you done Anti-Sway bars yet? I've always recommended suspension first braking second and power last. I would do sways and springs, and maybe struts if they are warrented first, then SS bake lines and a fluid swap.

Finally for more power start by swapping that BOV for a BPV (the ECU will thank you) and start looking at tubro inlets, maybe a performance Intercooler and definitely a professional tune. At that point you are at the top of a stage 2, I would start considering a new fuel pump and new injectors if you plan on making more than stage 2 power.

Just my .02c

#8 ·
you already broke one transmission. If you're going to mod the hell out of it, you know that's going to still be a problem. There's a reason the STi costs more. If you want an STi, buy an STi. It will be cheaper than trying to make one yourself. A lot of us have learned that lesson at the cost of thousands of dollars.

#11 ·
My budget was smaller when I bought my WRX back in 2007 and I added parts when I could. Over the past 7 years, I've dumped 5 figure money into mine and it's still not a monster, but I've thoroughly enjoyed the process and I'm still enjoying my car. It's nice to drive an underdog that can hold its own on occasion. Also, let's not forget the gearing of the older WRX 5 speed is faster than the STi 6 speed 0-60... 60+ is another story though ;)

#12 ·
The transmission wasn't necessarily broken. It made an annoying whining sound when I drove and I would have had to have the transfer case rebuilt but the guy with the warranty insurance said it would be cheaper to get me a new tranny. And I dope plan to have a beast I just want to show up the kids driving STi's that mommy and daddy bought them. So I am going to get all new struts because mine are 130xxx miles old. Then work on sway bars and breaks then power. That was great advice Much appreciated guys. And for arcticscythe a fluid swap like all fluids?? And are SS brake lines just like performance brake lines??

#13 ·
I was referring to brake fluid specifically, but if you've got 130k on any fluids its not a bad idea to swap those too : ) and yes SS means stainless steel, most performance brake lines are made of woven stainless, it doesnt expand like the rubber OEM hoses and gives you better brake feel for not alot of money. Im glad your taking things the safe way, Suspension, then brakes and finally more power.

As for driving against punk kids who's parents paid for their STi practice your driving skills and show them whats up at the track. Don't be surprised if mommy and daddy paid for their performance upgrades too. Just be happy with your car and drive safe. Please don't engage in street racing especially with kids. Most turbocharged cars are too much power for most first time drivers, we dont want to see anyone get hurt because some kid drove their new car faster than their driving skills.

#15 ·
There is never a replacement for an STi. I had an 06 STi, and then bought a 2013 WRX. My STi feels just about the same as my WRX granted they are two different generations.
The STi has bulletproof components, while the WRX did not. You pay for the STi's components vs. the WRX's though.
If you have already modded your 06 WRX, I wouldn't buy an STi. I would do some of the upgrades suggested such as brakes and suspension.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.