Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Newbie Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   Worth Getting A Drop In Filter? (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f51/worth-getting-drop-filter-41458/)

Subarufan123 11-18-2013 08:53 AM

Worth Getting A Drop In Filter?

I was looking at a K&N or Perrin Drop in Panel Filter for my Bugeye. Is it worth it? Or a waste of money?

Haw1es 11-18-2013 09:05 AM

I'm sure I will be corrected, but I believe you would need a tune for any air filter. For the money a tune requires, you may want to go with a short ram or CAI depending on your power goals.
Just my thoughts.

Nathan21 11-18-2013 10:10 AM

A drop in doesn't require a tune for this, its just a filter inside the stock box.
Honestly if you feel like you have the need to go for it, but honestly your just spending the money for a filter that looks pretty but no benefits from it, I threw one in mine just to say I did and could say what it did.
Nothing happen, if you wanna spend the money, go get yourself a CAI like that Shane said.
But also think a CAI or Short Ram, Plus a tune or an AP gets pricy, so if your on a budget or don't want to spend around 600-1,000 for an AP and Intake then go with a stock filter and save the money from a filter that looks pretty outside your airbox that no one will see

brfatal 11-18-2013 10:41 AM

Waste of money. No gains and some paper filters flow more. Plus Perrin's foam filters suck.

Subarufan123 11-18-2013 11:28 AM

[quote=brfatal;400362]Waste of money. No gains and some paper filters flow more. Plus Perrin's foam filters suck.[/quote]

That's all I needed to know. I was wondering if you actually get any gains from it, didn't think you'd get much which is why I was curious. Thanks!

Subarufan123 11-18-2013 11:33 AM

[quote=Nathan21;400338]A drop in doesn't require a tune for this, its just a filter inside the stock box.
Honestly if you feel like you have the need to go for it, but honestly your just spending the money for a filter that looks pretty but no benefits from it, I threw one in mine just to say I did and could say what it did.
Nothing happen, if you wanna spend the money, go get yourself a CAI like that Shane said.
But also think a CAI or Short Ram, Plus a tune or an AP gets pricy, so if your on a budget or don't want to spend around 600-1,000 for an AP and Intake then go with a stock filter and save the money from a filter that looks pretty outside your airbox that no one will see[/quote]

Thanks for the info. I was thinking about getting the panel filter till I was able to get the Cobb Short Ram Intake. I didn't know whether or not there were actually any benefits over the OEM filter. I'll save the money for a good intake.

Nathan21 11-18-2013 11:42 AM

We would rather you ask about something your thinking about then getting it and having to turn around and ask us how to fix your problem haha!
and honestly I would suggest you to go with an AEM Cold air intake instead of the Cobb hot box

mosc 11-18-2013 02:54 PM

You can buy a lifetime supply of paper air filters for a few bucks. They work great when they're not totally clogged up from age. No gains to be had on the intake side of an anywhere near stock WRX except the elbow.

boo-key bear 11-18-2013 04:50 PM

I always get a k&n drop in filter for every car I have ever purchased simply for fact that ill never have to buy a air filter again for that vehicle. I had one on my wrx when I first bought it. Now I run the k&n typhoon Sri (tuned for). One day ill probably change to a aps cai next round of parts i get tuned for.

Subarufan123 11-18-2013 05:04 PM

[quote=Nathan21;400418]We would rather you ask about something your thinking about then getting it and having to turn around and ask us how to fix your problem haha!
and honestly I would suggest you to go with an AEM Cold air intake instead of the Cobb hot box[/quote]

That's why this is one of my favorite forums when it comes to my newbie questions for my WRX. Appreciate the help and info from all of you guys. I will check it out, I have been seeing that most people recommend the AEM Cold Air Intake over Cobb.

Nathan21 11-18-2013 05:09 PM

I am personally running the AEM and loving every sec. I step on the gas!

Subarufan123 11-18-2013 05:14 PM

[quote=Nathan21;400617]I am personally running the AEM and loving every sec. I step on the gas![/quote]

Does it work well with the Accessport and Cobb tunes?

Nathan21 11-18-2013 05:48 PM

Yes it does, I have the Cobb AP V3 and once you get the AP, you will download the AP Manager and you will download the stage 1 + AEM Intake and it will put you around 17.5 lb of boost unlike hitting around 14.3 on stock everything!

arewmors 11-18-2013 06:20 PM

The only thing is you have an 03 WRX which Cobb does not make OTS maps for the aem intake pre 08 models. They only make OTS maps for stock and Cobb intakes.

[url]http://www.cobbtuning.com/Subaru-Accessport-V3-p/ap3-sub-001.htm#/v/accessport/maps/subaru/wrx/WRX-Map-Grid[/url]

Nathan21 11-18-2013 07:44 PM

Sorry for the missinformation