Subaru WRX Forum banner

Is it worth it?

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  habitatxskat 
#1 ·
I am interested in a 2005 subaru wrx I found over in my neck of the woods :D. The car has 70,000 miles and the dealership has an asking price of $15,990. I was wondering how many miles a typical wrx will last and if this is a good price? I would like to be able to hit 150,000 miles without any major issues. Is this possible with an 05 wrx? :confused:

Thank you!

#3 ·
The heatshield around the turbocharger? I know Hondas, but I'm a real wrx N00B haha. The only mod I noticed was a K&N drop in air filter. I think the price is kind of high too. It's higher then the KBB price. I saw and test drove the car before it was taken into the shop. It was dirty and had a really dusty engine bay. There was a slight sqeak coming from the left front wheel when I turned to the left. The dealer said that would be taken car of.

Is insurance normally really high for a wrx?

#4 ·
The downpipe heat shield is the one that i would look at., the bolt normally break off. Just look for missing things.
Ask for a carfax, there are many recalls for the subarus.
I can't really tell about the insurance. I am 42 years old with a clean driving record and 3 cars. But it will be higher than civic.

#5 ·
70k on an 05 is probably close to normal, considering normal driving will put a vehicle at around 12k miles per year, but that asking price seems high to me as well, but you must also realize that Subarus hold value pretty well.

As far as the heat shield, when standing at the front of the car looking at the engine bay, to the left of the top mounted intercooler and down about six inches is your turbo, it will probably be a rusty cast iron snail under the heat shield, if all bolts are in place, then you should be good to go, many people break a bolt on the right hand hand side of the heat shield(when looking from the front of the vehicle) when trying to remove it.

Check all vacuum lines, they are going to black and about 5mm in diameter(give or take a few mm), and will be all over the place, look for anywhere that may appear shorter than what may hav been stock, they should not be stretched or in awkward positions.

A used WRX always has some inherent risk, but any mildy quick import will have an equal amount, hopefully this is a good deal for you!

#8 ·
Ok since we are throwing out miles and prices...My 2005 (automatic w/ moonroof and heated seats) had 44,4xx and we got it for $18,xxx. But your deal seems raw, I would keep looking if I were you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.