Subaru WRX Forum banner

Worst day of my life- help needed

6K views 38 replies 16 participants last post by  arewmors 
#1 ·
Sooo I was being a dumbass and totalled my '11 WRX. Not sure if its totalled, but looks like it. Hit a concrete barrier with my left side. Whole side is gone, front left wheel got ripped with the c-arm still attached. Im okay though!! haha. I only had liability insurance on it as well.
The only good thing to come out of this is the engine bay was left pretty clean, so the engine and surrounding components are still good. What is the best way to get any value out of it? I was actually going to sell it before the mishap, thinking it was good for around 20K. Should I try to sell it to a salvage shop or an auction or something? Can I claim the loss on my taxes or anything? Another option is to have it fixed up and then try to sell it, but I'm thinking its not gonna be worth it. Never had anything like this happen before. Any feedback is appreciated.

#6 ·
I would be your go to tax guy, and you can't claim it as a loss unless it was a primarily business only vehicle, sorry for the bad news and we r glad you are ok! And maybe your best bet would be to part out your engine and what all you can, if you do go this route, message me, I would be interested in a lot of your parts

#7 ·
Trying to put up a pic, but my phone isnt connecting to wifi at work for some reason. Anyways, the car might be fixable, but it will cost a lot. About the insurance though- I always try to pay the cars off and have liability only. Insurance is a scam, IMO. You pay all this money, but the minute you wreck and file a claim, they just raise you rates and make the money back. So you either bleed it over time, or fix the car out of pocket. Thats just my 2 cents...

#24 ·
There's the Paul I miss lol! Been lurking I see ;)

And that's quite the wreck OP I gotta say! Out of pocket money to fix that is gonna be upwards of prob $6k and that's def not a good idea with a kid coming. Part it out and take what you can get IMO to put toward the little one on the way...cause they're expensive!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#17 ·
Yeah, the guy at the shop says it can be fixed, but we don't know how much yet. He is calling some junk yards to see if we can snag some parts for cheap. Im going to the shop either tonight or tomorrow, will take a few more pics. It really sucks ### I was driving back from the car wash to take pics and put the car on craigslist (im having a boy in a couple of months, need something bigger). Was maxing my fun in the car before I let her go, and boom!!...

#22 ·
I've seen less totaled.
Headlight
Bumper vent
Front bumper
Fender
Fender garnish and emblem
Front door
Rear door
Rear quarter
Drivers rocker
Side skirt
Tail light
Rear bumper
Hinges/new pillar sections welded in?
Clips
Bolts
One gallon of Ice Silver= expensive
Clear and additives
Hood?
Hatch?
Labor- 65-90ph

Tear down- about 8 hours because of the cutting
Bolt up and weld/putty in- about 12 hours
Prime/ paint/ clear/ blend/ buff- add another 10.

So about 30 labor hours plus parts

30 x $90 = $2700 in labor alone

I'm gonna pull the trigger and call it totaled.

Oops.... Forgot to replace your suspension
....... Just add in a bunch more money in costs ;)

........GL....................CHEERS!!!

#31 ·
See, the rocker is twisted. The dogleg "spot from rocker to top of wheel" will need replaced. Which will cause excess work in the door jamb. Than te wheel well from the inside out, up yo that quarter glass needs replaced.
And to do it right, that window should be pulled. Than the blend should happen around where that window corner is closest to the spoiler.

The more I look at it, the more I know I would reject it from my garage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.