What would changing the springs do for a vehicle. - Subaru WRX Forum
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By BLAZE2099
  • 3 Post By brfatal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-26-2014, 08:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

Omar Bee is an unknown
Thumbs up What would changing the springs do for a vehicle.

Sorry im new to all this and just learning, so if im to change my springs what advantage and disadvantages come with the vehicle?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-26-2014, 10:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Really depends on the spring.
Lower, raise or just go stiffer or softer.
Cosmo_kraemer likes this.

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#3 Old 01-26-2014, 10:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

TuckersWRX is an unknown
Springs can change multiple things. It all depends on what ones you get and what purpose they have.
As Blaze said they can basically change the height of your subie, and change how it will ride.
#4 Old 01-26-2014, 11:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

YouFoundDonon is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Bee View Post
Sorry im new to all this and just learning, so if im to change my springs what advantage and disadvantages come with the vehicle?

I would love to lower my car, but unfortunetaly living in New England I'll become a plow during the winter, and having to constantly change springs to the weather conditions would be annoying. That and I wouldn't get up my steep driveway "(
#5 Old 01-27-2014, 10:58 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Depends on the spring. Some are handling oriented and some are purely aesthetic. Depending on which you will get less body roll and a more firmly planted ride. Get the wrong spring and you can reduce handling and lower it too far and/or reduce the lifespan of your struts.
#6 Old 01-27-2014, 12:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Springs are there to hold your vehicle off the ground. they work in concert with your struts to provide an upward force opposing gravity. Springs are held in place by your struts and the struts act to slow down the expansion of energy that is displaced by your car hitting a bump.

Harder springs will make your ride stiffer, softer springs will make your ride more squishey. you can also buy "lowering springs" that are physically shorter than stock, or "raising springs" that are taller than stock.

if you want to learn more about springs and struts I recommend "how stuff works" its hosted by the discovery network and its full of great resources if your looking to learn more about cars in general

HowStuffWorks "How Car Suspensions Work"

Jason
13 WRX Hatch
#7 Old 01-27-2014, 12:36 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Good links guys!

I would add that springs are more than just a length and a springrate. Good springs are often graduated to respond to small bumps with firm response but be more forgiving on larger bumps to avoid jarring your teeth out. Their function is often highly dependent on other suspension components so be careful changing just one part without regard for the others. Good suspension systems take a large number of factors into account that deal with the overall geometry of your car, it's weight, and it's dynamic response. What works on one car may not be applicable to another.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#8 Old 01-27-2014, 03:13 PM
Vendor

PROImportTuners is more helpful than not
Good Points everyone!

Like most people mentioned there are a number of benefits that springs can provide and there are some that do certain tasks better than others.

Feel free to give us a call or send an email if you need help choosing which springs will work well for your intended use!

Toll free: 1-888-9-PRO-TUNERS
Email: customercare@proimporttuners.com

PRO Import Tuners
http://www.proimporttuners.com
#9 Old 02-05-2014, 02:34 AM
WRXtuners Member

sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
IMHO, any "advantage" (handling, lowering, etc.) will be significantly increased if you replace both the springs and the struts (the strut assembly) at the same time. However, replacing the springs only is certainly something that many people have done.

Matt
70 to 100 faster than you can say "whoooossshh!"
#10 Old 05-07-2014, 10:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

03bugeye scoob is an unknown
Garage
Lowering springs will reduce the life of your shocks, it's a bit more money but I'd just look into adjustable coil overs if your intent with new springs is to lower your car...this way to u can always dial in on how u want your car to feel and react, u get what u pay for ...ya u can get lowering springs fairly cheap for couple hundred bucks but in long run will cost u money in struts so spend the extra buck and and go with adjustable coil overs
#11 Old 05-07-2014, 11:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03bugeye scoob View Post
Lowering springs will reduce the life of your shocks, it's a bit more money but I'd just look into adjustable coil overs if your intent with new springs is to lower your car...this way to u can always dial in on how u want your car to feel and react, u get what u pay for ...ya u can get lowering springs fairly cheap for couple hundred bucks but in long run will cost u money in struts so spend the extra buck and and go with adjustable coil overs
No.

Coilovers have shorter lifespans than struts with good lowering springs. Generally speaking they need to be uninstalled and sent off for service every 30-40k miles if not sooner. Not to mention they are less reliable and much more maintenance intensive than springs and struts. Also, coilovers worth more than their weight in dirt run +$1,500 on GDs on +$2,000 on later models. Overall for a DD/street car they are not the best decision. You're spending +$1,500 on adjustments and capabilities you can't full utilize outside of competitive track settings and have to follow through with the extra care that they need without getting the real benefits they offer.

Bluntly put, not a single person on this forum can out drive a good strut and spring combo on public roads. Unless you race competitively, coilovers would be a redundant purchase IMO.
#12 Old 05-07-2014, 11:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
No.
Bluntly put, not a single person on this forum can out drive a good strut and spring combo on public roads. Unless you race competitively, coilovers would be a redundant purchase IMO.
Amen Brother Coilovers are very pretty but until you have a team of experts setting your car up for a particular track they are an unfortunate waste of adjust-ability.

Jason
13 WRX Hatch
#13 Old 05-08-2014, 11:47 AM
Vendor

PROImportTuners is more helpful than not
Keep in mind probably the biggest advantage of a good coilover system (over a spring/shock combo) is that the manufacturer matches the shock valving with the spring rate, for optimal handling and ride characteristics. I understand on some lower end coilovers this is not done, but on the good ones it definitely is.

The other nice thing is that sometimes you don't know exactly how much you want your car lowered, or you change your mind later. With a spring and shock combo, you are stuck at one ride height forever.

PRO Import Tuners
http://www.proimporttuners.com