What car?? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-05-2005, 11:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

bSQUAREd is an unknown
What car??

Hey you guys I am looking into buying a new car. I have narrowed my decision down to 4 options:

1 - '02-'03 WRX
2 - '04 SRT4
3 - '97-'99 Eclipse GSX
4 - 1st gen Eclipse GSX and my grandmas Jeep

Now I know this is a WRX board and that your response will be biased, but please help me out with what car to get. Please back up your choice with some reasoning if possible too. Here are the pros and cons I see with each option:

1 - very good car all around, fast, handles, AWD (I live in Minnesota, with lots of snow), would cost the most though
2 - fastest in a straight line but its FWD
3 - AWD, tons of mods but they arent very reliable, arent very big, and its hard to find one that doesnt have a park bench on the back of it and a snowplow for a front bumper
4 - would be cheapest route and would have Jeep for winter but car would have lots of miles and be a lot more prone to have things go wrong

Anyways, try to not be too biased and gimme your thoughts. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-05-2005, 11:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

ngeren is more helpful than not
Your on a WRX forum, which do you think we will choose?
#3 Old 03-05-2005, 11:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

bSQUAREd is an unknown
Thats why I said try not to be too biased, but I guess thats impossible, huh?
#4 Old 03-06-2005, 06:14 AM
WRXtuners Member

2005Sti is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to 2005Sti
My .02

Well have an Sti, and love it, saying that though also have a DSM, its my dailey driver. It is a 97 with only some mods (CAI and Catback). When I bought it three years ago it had only 39000 miles on it, got a pretty good deal. Since then I have put nearly about two grand into it at the mechanic, to fix stuff going wrong. Not realiable is a good way to describe them. With my Sti, only have an issue of boost creep, which is going to be taken care of with my Utec. The Srt-4, is a decent car for the money, though again, some people I know, more then two, have been in court fighting with Dodge against the lemon law, their car is in the shop more then on the road, and not for mods. A first gen dsm would be nice, and you may be able to find one with low miles, but in the end with all said the WRX is the way to go, in my opinion. I was partial to the Evo in my choice, though I had test drove a Wrx and loved it. Did much research, and found the Sti to be a better choice. The Wrx is the same, with the same as all cars, you must treat it good and you ll love it, the track records shows, not too much money, and you can hang with most "super" cars in an Sti, and a WRX reaches great potential as well. Good luck
#5 Old 03-06-2005, 08:34 AM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
It depends on what you want to do. If you are using it for year-round transportation, the choice is obvious - WRX. DSM's are nice cars, and can be made fast for relativley little money. However, their AWD system is nowhere near as effective as the Subaru system. Also, since they don't make Eclipses any more (not the good ones...) any one you get will have a lot of miles on it, and have been subjected to more wear and tear.

The SRT4 is a good car, but, like you said, it's FWD. Which is only slightly better than RWD in the snow. And, the SRT has very little traction in dry weather, so I'd hate to see it in the snow.
#6 Old 03-06-2005, 02:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

bSQUAREd is an unknown
Alright thanks for the responses. I had been leaning towards the WRX because it seems like the best all around car (fast, reliable, bigger, AWD, etc). Your responses have helped assure that. So, how much would you say I would be paying for an '02 WRX? I have a '98 Eclipse Non Turbo right now that I figure I could get around $6500-7000 for and I have about $3500 saved up in my car funds in the bank. I don't want to have too big of a car payment. Can I get an '02 WRX for $15000-17000 that still doesnt have too high of miles or seen a lot of abuse?

Also, if anyone lives in Minnesota or somewhere with an equal amount of snow, how does the car handle the winter?

Thanks for the help
#7 Old 03-06-2005, 03:17 PM
Ian

Ian is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Ian
You should be able to find a WRX for around that price and for the snow I probably don't see as much as you do but I have snow tires on my stock wheels and the car feels like it will handle any amount of snow you throw at it. Good luck! and hopefuly you will become one of us.
#8 Old 03-07-2005, 07:13 AM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
Price depends on where you live. Around here, an '02 in good condition with relatively low miles will bring around $15k. However, I have heard that in other parts of the state, they bring as much as $20k.
#9 Old 03-07-2005, 08:46 AM
WRXtuners Member

WRXtreme is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to WRXtreme
If you are get live in Minnesota, I suggest a AWD. If you are able to get a SRT-4 and another winter beater, then that is a good idea, SRT-4s are fast little cars and can be made very fast for realitively cheap. DSMs are good cars, but I have heard they are a little unrealible, thier engines are very strong(6-bolts) as well as their transmissions. I know of people getting their DSMs into the 13s with less then $100 in mods. The WRX is going to be a reliable car, but cost a little more then the rest. My choices were a AWD DSM, SRT-4 or WRX when i was looking into cars and I ended up getting a WRX, I am not dissapointed with my choice. Now for the Jeep, I have always wanted a truck that I could lift and take off-roading. When I do get my car paid off I will be getting a 4-wheel drive truck/SUV to lift. Hope that helps some.
#10 Old 03-07-2005, 09:30 AM
WRXtuners Member

BigJoe68 is an unknown
get a wrx
#11 Old 03-08-2005, 06:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

bSQUAREd is an unknown
Alright, thanks everyone for all of the responses. If I can find a WRX cheap enough I will be getting that. Hopefully my dad will loan me some money. If I can't get the money for a WRX I will probably get the DSM.