Subaru WRX Forum banner

Wanting to upgrade

2K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Bryce'sWRX 
#1 ·
So, i am the proud owner of a 2002 wrx sedan and is a completely stock car. I'm looking for some things that i can do for more hp and a better sound. Preferably a few things around a few hundred bucks a piece. Just some starting stuff to get my car sounding and preforming like i would like it to!
Thanks!
Bryce M.

#8 ·
ok, dont mean to jack someones thread, but i recently had 120,000 mile check from subaru and everything checked out good. ive got recently, and bought with a perrin sri, ffront and rear sway bars, and hks bov. and am putting on a cat back exhaust from borla. if i dont beat on this car is it going to last? i am not sure if the car has been tuned for all the stuff, is there a way to check? I only ask because i want to know if the car will last.
:beatentod

#9 ·
Perrin's intakes require custom tuning to use and the only way to tell if it's been tuned for is to have someone log it. Considering your mods, I highly doubt that it is since stage 1 tunes are generally glossed right over and basically nobody gets custom stage 1 maps unless they can tune their own car.

There is no way to tell how long a car will last. Generally speaking from observation and highly skewed experience, turbo Subarus tend to start falling apart above 100k miles.

#10 ·
My car's motor blew 2 weeks after i bought it, turns out the man that had it before me had a 40psi turbo on it with no supporting mods -_- we changed the oil and put more fully synthetic oil in it and the motor blew two days later. Took the pan off and there was a shit ton of scrap in it. But it now has a 2004 motor in it with 92k on it. I DO live in Iowa so there is snow here...So if anybody could tell me...I guess what i'm asking is where do I start? Short ram intake? BOV? Whats the best thing to start off with. I don't wanna do anything that will be dangerous to my car and make it last shorter. I take very good care of it, and garage it nightly and let it warm up properly every time before i drive it. Just looking for someone with a little more modding experience than I to get some help from.

Thanks
Bryce M.

#11 ·
before people jump down your throat stay with stock bov what i have learned in here is if you dont take care of a aftermarket bov you will just get issues. you only need a aftermarket bov if you are pushing over 350HP i believe that's what it was. I am not too sure about the short ram i think u might need a tune but im gonna stay out of that so i don't give you too much false info ahah. good luck to ya though bud.

#12 ·
Horsepower is not what determines the need for an aftermarket valve, it's the amount of boost you're making. The stock one is generally good for 20-21 psi. It can be modified to hold more.

Depends on which intake you get on whether or not you need a tune. Personally I recommend a CAI rather than a short ram air when going stage 2.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.