want more HP with being cheap - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-06-2010, 03:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

ridedh2 is an unknown
want more HP with being cheap

so pretty much what alot of people try first is adding the most HP they can without going broke. 2009 WRX hatch. I have a full Invidia TBE, COBB AP stage 2, Rallitek sways,K&N drop in. Ofcourse i would love bigger turbo/IC and all that but not lookin to spend a couple grand right now. Is there other steps that i could go about it? cause im sure any Mod now will have to be tuned unless i just try going the other route and making it lighter? correct? any help be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-06-2010, 04:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

synolimit is a helpful contributing member
big power isnt going to happen. you need a IC first and BPV, then tune for more boost. after that headers, EWG, injectors and more boost and tuning. untill you spend more money or find used IC's your kinda stuck. best thing you can do is make a list of parts. everything you want, even if its a turbo and a motor build. then group thoughs parts together based on when you want to install them and tune. always look for used and look for best sellers and remember there websites where to buy.

Scott-2011 WRX 335HP 394TQ 93 VF52!
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2011-wrx-build-31226/
#3 Old 11-06-2010, 06:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
This thread is full of grammar and spelling fail.

On topic, you have to pay to play man. There's not much to do beyond a typical stage two that is cheap.

-Chris
#4 Old 11-06-2010, 10:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

best bang for your buck right now would be find a used Perrin TMIC, Turboxs BPV and retune. depending on cost you could see some really really good gains for $900-$1100.

#5 Old 11-07-2010, 01:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Worry less about power and do something about making your car handle better.
#6 Old 11-07-2010, 02:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
Sounds like best bang for your buck right now would be a protune

355 awhp fp green six speed wagon in Corvette Atomic Orange
-Brandon
#7 Old 11-07-2010, 03:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

Ducks is an unknown
Protune, Bigger TMIC or FMIC and a Electronic Boost Control. You dont need a new BPV unless your going to run over 24psi. I would go with a TMIC if your going to stay smaller then a 20g turbo.
#8 Old 11-07-2010, 04:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

^^LGT boys dont think so. wrx's are plastic. sti's are metal, at least the older ones are, not sure about your 08 sti. its a good idea for him to upgrade the BPV over 17psi.

#9 Old 11-08-2010, 08:44 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I've been running mine at 19.5-21 psi for a while now. No problems, they hold fine.

Hell, my tuner is on his stock STi BPV at 27psi (un-crushed or anything).

-Chris
#10 Old 11-08-2010, 08:52 AM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
You'll notice a leak in your BPV-BOV when you have high WGDCs and low numbers for your mods. My tuner hasn't seen that many problems with them on STIs. But he has seen more aftermarket leaky BPV-BOVs on EVOS than our cars.

As for the OP

Cheap
Fast
Reliable

Now pick two...I hear you. Do all the small things. But, you can't expect it to be that cheap. Unless you just want trash for parts...or get lucky on quality used.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#11 Old 11-09-2010, 01:06 AM
WRXtuners Member

Ducks is an unknown
i had a 09 wrx 5-door for about four months before my sti and ran 20 psi all day and a friend has a 08 wrx running 22psi from the stock BPV for two years now.
#12 Old 11-09-2010, 10:42 AM
WRXtuners Member

anxiouz is an unknown
My only advise is to do the research, save up, and do it right the first time. Don't experiment with random parts just because someone is selling them cheap. I did that on my first Evo and was never happy. On my WRX I'm only buying new and only planning on doing part swaps a single time.

I've always seen Stage 2 as the ceiling before a lot more money needs to be involved. So a logical step to me would be suspension next.

My plans are to run stage 2 for awhile until I save up some money and the mod bug starts up again, then I'm going to be looking at a FMIC, then possibly a turbo with supporting mods.

Steve ... '11 WRX H/B ... Perrin Stage 2
#13 Old 11-09-2010, 12:33 PM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
Worry less about power and do something about making your car handle better.
Absolutely the best advice. If you want to spend a few bucks improving your car in a way that will be noticeable to you, and greatly increase the enjoyment of driving it, improving the handling will give you way more bang for the buck. You can spend a grand or more to gain 20 or so HP, or you can spend a few hundred to make the car take corners faster.

To me, being able to handle twisty roads (or city streets and on ramps) better is tons more fun than launching aggressively at stop lights, and showing off the cars highway passing ability. Sways and tires are the best place to start.

(whiney voice) "I want more power and don't want to spend much"

LOL
#14 Old 12-13-2010, 12:02 AM
WRXtuners Member

Vixia1 is an unknown
Start with a proper tune, it's a great base for when you do more.....and you will do more mods!
#15 Old 12-13-2010, 01:38 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonracer View Post
Absolutely the best advice. If you want to spend a few bucks improving your car in a way that will be noticeable to you, and greatly increase the enjoyment of driving it, improving the handling will give you way more bang for the buck. You can spend a grand or more to gain 20 or so HP, or you can spend a few hundred to make the car take corners faster.

To me, being able to handle twisty roads (or city streets and on ramps) better is tons more fun than launching aggressively at stop lights, and showing off the cars highway passing ability. Sways and tires are the best place to start.
right but a lot of people dont have twisty roads. even if they did driving above the speed limit on them to have fun isnt save for 98% of the people out there! just because they have a wrx it doesnt mean they can drive for *&^%. most of your people just like a blast off. whether an on ramp or local drag strip. to them suspension isnt worth it. and whats it matter the cost? if suspension is only a "few hundred" then he should have it done already, no? then he'd be right back where we are and talking about power. i have no suspension besides bushings and im fine with it. i drive all highway and my car is killer on it!

sorry i just hate when people tell someone to do something when they didnt ask for it. he would be in the suspension section asking for advice if he needed it. for the average DD and local guy driving for fun on the weekend the stock setup is enough. if its not then he's going way to fast and against the law and his saftey to be doing it in the first place, no matter the road, strait or twisties.