Wagon or Sedan? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 08-02-2009, 10:04 AM
WRXtuners Member

FingBS is an unknown
Wagon or Sedan?

Another Noob question here...

Obviously the sedan is lighter and should theoretically handle better. But from those who have driven both...how much worse is the wagon in acceleration and handling? I'm looking into buying a WRX and I could really use the space of the wagon. But is it worth the sacrifice? It will be my daily driver, maybe see an occasional track, and it will get modified...

I know that I can make the sedan work for me, but it will be a tight squeeze with 2 kids and a bunch of crap in the trunk...

Advise would be appreciated...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-02-2009, 10:36 AM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
The Wagon actually only weighs 80 pounds more so acceleration isn't really affected...the only major difference is the additional body roll in the wagon which is easily cured by new swaybars...and this sis coming from someone who has owned both at the same time...and once you modify them there about the same car in reality

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#3 Old 08-02-2009, 12:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

dmcutter is an unknown
Seems like I recall the rationale for the STi being changed over to the new body style is that it's inherently stiffer or something like that. If there was a bid handling negative to the wagon I doubt the flagship car would come only in that configuration.
#4 Old 08-02-2009, 01:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

04paulieWRX is an unknown
new and especially used parts are easier to find in the sedan, but in reality, it comes down to what you need, not what is more convenient
#5 Old 08-02-2009, 01:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

booosted09 is more helpful than not
Garage
i was going to buy a 05 wagon before i bought my 09...i dont think there is a huge gain in cargo room. the wagon is not a very big wagon...more like a hatchback..but i could be wrong. Its all on preference, i like how the older wagons look over the sedans.

Last edited by booosted09; 08-02-2009 at 01:54 PM. Reason: forgot a word
#6 Old 08-02-2009, 04:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
It varys in the years that your looking at. 02-07 sedan is lighter than the wagon. 08-09 the "superwagon" it's named is lighter than the sedan. The Sti version of the car is always going to be the lightest if your just getting the wrx version.
#7 Old 08-02-2009, 04:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
In the past the STi has always been heavier...and I'm fairly certian it is with the 08-09 as well

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#8 Old 08-02-2009, 05:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

AkSoul is an unknown
I had the option between a sedan or wagon, I chose the wagon and it has been a great decision. I do a fair amount of outdoors stuff. Having the little extra cargo area really helps. I like the look of the wagon also.
#9 Old 08-02-2009, 06:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
What I was trying to say is pick the body style the STI is if your getting just a wrx. That'll be the lightest model. Yes, the STI is always the heavest model. Sorry, if I confused anyone.
#10 Old 08-02-2009, 10:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
2007 Subaru Impreza WRX, STI, STI Limited specification, option and price page

According to the above website, the listed curb weights for 2002-2007 WRXs and STis are:

WRX Sedan (manual) = 3,192 lbs
WRX TR Sedan (manual) = 3,192 lbs
WRX Sport Wagon (manual) = 3,252 lbs
WRX Limited Sedan (manual) = 3,239 lbs
WRX Limited Sedan (auto) = 3,296 lbs
WRX Limited Wagon (manual) = 3,295 lbs
WRX Limited Wagon (auto) = 3,347 lbs
STi Sedan (manual) = 3,351 lbs
STi Limited Sedan (manual) = 3,351 lbs

Very interesting... the STi is, in fact, the heaviest of the bunch, but only by about 4 lbs. It's interesting that the difference between the heaviest and lightest is about 159 lbs. That difference can easily be compensated for by varying levels of fuel, driver/passenger weight, other cargo, and modifications that either add or reduce weight. I thought there would actually be more of a difference because of the STi's extra transmission gear, heavier spoiler, heavier brake components, and wider tires, but it doesn't seem like that's the case. I suppose that partly has to do with the fact that STis have some aluminum suspension components which are lighter than the steel ones on standard WRX models, the wheels are forged, and the standard STi lacks a sunroof, fog lights, etc.

Now I'm sort of curious to find out this kind of info for 2008+ models, but not enough to look it up

John
07 WRX
#11 Old 08-03-2009, 07:10 AM
WRXtuners Member

Parthew is an unknown
Here is to 2009 Info:

WRX Sedan: 3174lbs
WRX Wagon: 3175lbs
STI Wagon: 3395lbs
#12 Old 08-08-2009, 07:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

bizzle is more helpful than not
Send a message via Yahoo to bizzle
My advice to you is go down and look at the two models side by side if you can- it's what I did in Sacramento. To me it felt like the sedan has more actual trunk space than the hatch with the lid sitting behind the back seats, but the sedan has a hump and an arch in-between the seats and trunk. When the seats are folded down in the hatch the floor is more level. Least thats how I remember it since this was back in January that I first looked into getting one.

I'm getting a hatch next month when I come home on vacation from Iraq- I just happen to like the over all design better than the sedan. Plus I will be moving around with some mountain bikes and doing some out-doorsy type stuff, so the hatch seems to fit that bill a bit better than the sedan. But definately take a close look at both- back seat passengers will be the same for either model if you ask me.

Seats up with the lid in place on the hatch looks smaller than the trunk on the sedan, but I am sure there are some people here with a lot more knowledge than I on the cubic space for each model. I just like the hatch...

EDIT***

Just looked up the cargo space on Subaru website- hatch has 19.0 square feet compared to sedan with 11.3 square feet of storage space. Definately didn't look like that in person- especially since the hatch is 6.5 inches shorter than the sedan. Seems the only way to pull that off is to stack your cargo up, which will block your rear-view. This is all based on new 2009 model year info by the way- I don't know much about the older models. Like you, I still be a noob.

Last edited by bizzle; 08-08-2009 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Missing Info-
#13 Old 02-24-2010, 01:31 AM
WRXtuners Member

02subaru0440 is an unknown
i have an 02 wagon and i definitely would never trade it for the sedan. the wagon is a sleeper car....... one second your there and the other they are just hearing your exhaust. every winter i hit up the steelhead run on the coastal rivers and there is nothing like cramming 5 days worth of gear for 4 guys in one car and just going without a hitch.

what im trying to say is the car flippen cooks, it looks good and its got the space needed.

happy hunting
#14 Old 02-24-2010, 05:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

Abismo is an unknown
Mines probably a porker, sedan premium....but I dont care its sexy and still fast.

Which style do you like more? Also the rear seats fold down on my sedan i mean they are both compact cars so whatever works for you really.

I'd hit it.