VF39 Turbo - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 02-26-2006, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Mad Mordigan is an unknown
VF39 Turbo

What do you guys know about the VF39? I know it comes on the STI, but is it a good upgrade for the WRX? Or is it not worth it? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-26-2006, 01:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

eighth08 is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to eighth08
get a vf34, much better turbo.. more power and still not so big that you get a lot of lag.

Gregory-
keep it in the dirt.
post #3 of 12 Old 02-26-2006, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

I can get it from a buddy of mine for $300. Is it still not worth getting? How much is the power difference between the VF34 and the VF39?
post #4 of 12 Old 02-26-2006, 06:16 PM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mordigan
I can get it from a buddy of mine for $300. Is it still not worth getting? How much is the power difference between the VF34 and the VF39?
The VF39 uses the exact same compressor and turbine wheel as the VF30/34.The only difference is the VF39 uses the smaller P17 turbine housing while the VF 30/34 uses the P18.The VF39 will run out of steam up top but will spool faster (more torque sooner) than the VF34.Same CFM/flow.I would use the VF39 if your on a budget. But if you can afford the VF34 or even better,a 16G,then i would pass on the VF39.
post #5 of 12 Old 02-26-2006, 08:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

BiggSean is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to BiggSean Send a message via Yahoo to BiggSean
The VF39 is also prone to developing a crack on the turbine housing. Just make sure you give it a through inspection to make sure there are no cracks if you decide on it. My opinion would be to save your money and get a 16G. They can be had for around $600.

- Sean
- 2005 WRX Wagon, Stage 2
▼SbiΣ Mi▼
post #6 of 12 Old 02-26-2006, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

How good are the 16Gs then? If they are good then why does everyone talk about the VF34? I mean if you can get a good turbo for $600 then y would you pay $859 for one?
post #7 of 12 Old 02-27-2006, 07:17 AM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
The VF series is a good turbo but it has its limitations.Mistsubishi 16G are way more common and available.Plus they are rebuildable where the IHI's are not.They have a machine sealed CHRA.The 16G is also just a better design.More flow with the same,if not faster,spool up as the VF34.I personally think Mitsubishi turbos are built /designed much better than IHI's.They are just way more efficiant.
post #8 of 12 Old 02-27-2006, 07:37 AM
WRXtuners Member

jlagace is an unknown
first of all, you're not going to get a brand new, authentic 16G for $600. search around and you'll see that these are actually $600 taiwanese knockoffs. on that note, steer clear from momentum turbos as well, same deal.

now for vf34 versus vf39. both perform almost identically, the advantage going to the vf34. but with $500 extra in your pocket with going with the vf39, it's worth it. you're going to need some form of EM as well. for anybody running anything other than 91 california piss gas, cobb offers acceptable off-the-shelf EM for the VF34, with rumors going around that it will support the VF39 too soon in the future.

however, the reliability and longevity of the VF39 turbo is unproven. while it can be seen that parts of this turbo can develop small cracks, i haven't read about any VF39 owners having their turbo fail.

as for people saying the mitsubishi turbos are better just because they offer free rebuilds, that's not a very comforting sales pitch. it's like saying BBS will rebuild your wheel if it happens to start breaking into pieces while ## driving on it.

02 WRX Sedan
World Rally Blue
post #9 of 12 Old 02-27-2006, 03:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

eighth08 is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to eighth08
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlagace
as for people saying the mitsubishi turbos are better just because they offer free rebuilds, that's not a very comforting sales pitch. it's like saying BBS will rebuild your wheel if it happens to start breaking into pieces while ## driving on it.

I believe they meant SHOULD something happen to it, you can rebuild it, while SHOULD something happen to the IHI turbo you cannot rebuild it.

Gregory-
keep it in the dirt.
post #10 of 12 Old 02-27-2006, 03:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

9d2TSi is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to 9d2TSi Send a message via MSN to 9d2TSi
You most certainly can pick up an authentic MHI 16g for $600. Hell, I got my ported EvoIII big 16g for my old Talon for less than that, ok well not much less ($589). It wasn't a knockoff, just for clarity.

My car is well, it's like 10 lbs of shit in a 5 lb bag...

<------ Click to see what I'm workin' with. ;)
post #11 of 12 Old 02-27-2006, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

What about the Forced Performance 18T Turbo?
post #12 of 12 Old 02-27-2006, 10:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

BiggSean is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to BiggSean Send a message via Yahoo to BiggSean
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mordigan
What about the Forced Performance 18T Turbo?
I was looking at that turbo and it appears to be a worked over stock (TD04) turbo. I'd spend the extra $100 and get their 16G model. It will flow considerably more CFM but will of course require feul upgrades.

- Sean
- 2005 WRX Wagon, Stage 2
▼SbiΣ Mi▼
Sponsored Links
Advertisement