Subaru WRX Forum banner

vf39 on a 2.0?

15K views 47 replies 18 participants last post by  newtothegame 
#1 ·
So i have a chance to pick up a good condition VF39 for $200. Is that a good turbo for the 2.0 liter? What are the pros/ cons? thanks

#3 ·
Pros are it's bigger than you got. Cons are it's a dated design with a limited wastegate and not enough top end to even hold max boost to redline on an EJ20.

It's a cheap, quick spooling, more power option though which makes it extremely popular and for good reason.

#5 ·
i have the 39 and cant be happier. the only thing i don't like is the added lag from the tdo4. but the top end is a whole lot better. i would buy it and send it out to get P&P'ed. for 200 you cant pass that deal up. even if you decide to get the evo 3, you can sell the 39.

Reactions: mosc
#6 ·
Yes you will ned bigger injectors and some sort of engine management.Fuel pump would be a good idea but not necessary for that size turbo.FYI-You can use the search function to find answers to these kinds of questions pretty easily.:)

#11 ·
You can take them to just about any machine shop/car shop and they will run them for you. They'll test flow and clean them for around $50. No excuse not to do it with them in hand.

#14 ·
Mitsubishi makes a lot more than just cars. It's a very large company. Sorry, but their turbos are some of the best in the world. What you just said is like crying that your lawn mower says Honda because they lost the CART series or something FFS.

#16 ·
The VF39 is a decent turbo for the 2.0. I would suggest, as everyone else has, the STi pinks and an STi TMIC. Make sure you get a new y-pipe as the stock WRX one won't fit.

Also, make sure you get a tune as soon as possible. You'll need the injector scaling changed, as well as boost, timing, and fuel maps adjusted. If you have a tactrix cable and ROMraider software, it isn't that difficult. Not sure who on this site is the "go to" guy for OpenECU but if you stop by STLSubaru, talk to Testes1010. He's in Indiana and tuned mine for the VF34, STi pinks, Walbro 255, etc. I'm sure he can help you out.

#18 ·
The AP has a map designed for the vf39 so you could flash that once installed. I'd still recommend a protune though. For a larger tmic, go with a used STi tmic IMO they will suit your needs just fine. If you're going to go the ebay route look at the X02 TMIC or the SSAC, both are larger than the STi but you may have to fiddle with fitment.

#19 ·
Yes, an E-Bay TMIC will work as long as you get the y-pipe to fit. I'm using one for my VF34 setup.

As for using the CobbAP. . . If you want to spend ALOT more, have on the fly map switching, and the whole customer service aspect. Sure. Personally, I'm using ROMraider. It's free, and very similar to the Cobb Street Tuner. The only disadvantage I've found is there is no on the fly switching. But, honestly, I don't need that ability since I'll drive to a track, reflash, race, reflash, drive home. Reflashing only takes about 2 minutes.

#20 ·
I hate cobb more than most and I'm still going to warn you about the possible problems associated with alternate(custom maps). I use openecu and rom raider on my 02 but after a year I am still having trouble finding a tuner and a dyno. this is not a problem everywhere but you need to have a solid plan in place for tuner and place to tune b4 you make that choice. the only advantage cobb AP has is that they have factory style maps(safety margins are still intact and map will work ok anywhere.ie elevation and climate.)already worked out for different setups. if you chose to use one of there maps aim to match your car to their modlist for given map. if you want to make your car any hairyer than their options provide you must tune yourself or with a tuner. so if your cool with map
- VF39 turbo, STi TMIC, STi "Pink" 565cc injectors & Turboback exhaust using 93 octane. 349HP (+54%) / 299lb-ft (+38%)----

than by all means go that route. but if you want to pass the 310+AWHP range you will need a more agressive tune.

#21 ·
Thanks for all the input guys. I will probably go the AP route, this is going to be my daily driver, so i dont need an overly agtressive tune, i have no desire to destroy my bottom end or anything else.

I'm going to be posting some new pics in the near future, i've ordered things to make the exterior look good as well.

#23 ·
update

so i have all the parts orderd i need for the VF39 swap, except 1, the $*#&$(# stock BOV. I found one but the guy backed out at the last minute. so, if i cant find one, what is the best alternative???

so far i have my VF39, STI pinks, STI TMIC, COBB AP, walboro Fuel pump, world rally decals for the exterior (those add at least 40 hp to the wheels,....to the wheels! )so all i need is the BOV ,....

one of my mustang friends said i might need an MAF with the injectors, is that true? just want to make sure i have everything. It will probably be installed within the next 2 weeks

#24 ·
Why would you need a different MAF..... you are going to flash the COBB OTS ? Right ? Cobb's OTS does not call for anything more than what you have. Actually it doesn't call for a bigger pump I don't think.

#25 ·
The MAF can be scaled to huge power levels. Your mustang friend apparently doesn't know much about 4-cylinders. The stock MAF is a MUST for most tuning, including the Cobb AP. Even when you're making 500whp

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.