Subaru WRX Forum banner

vf39 on a 2.0?

15K views 47 replies 18 participants last post by  newtothegame 
#1 ·
So i have a chance to pick up a good condition VF39 for $200. Is that a good turbo for the 2.0 liter? What are the pros/ cons? thanks

#27 ·
Probably because his tuner told him it was causing a problem. As I explained, the map he started with was intended to have the stock BPV and the tuner was probably unable to work around what was there. Hence, you're current tune is essentially better off with the stock BPV than what you got even though it was tuned with that mod on it already.

#40 ·
Displacement is generally (and certainly in this case) a help but I dispute that the VF39 is "meant" for the 2.5L. The turbo is much better sized for the smaller EJ20. The JDM STi as well as the 02-05 WRX were all 2.0L remember. The VF39 was not used with a 2.5L from subaru until the USDM 04 STi. In 07, the VF39 was switched for the very similar VF43 which has a better sized wastegate for the larger 2.5L displacement. Really, when you get into what engine that turbo was "meant" for, I'd point to the EJ20 under your hood, not the EJ25. For the EJ25 powered Subarus, it's actually a bit small with a limited wastegate.

#41 ·
sorry, internet was down for a few days

I now have all the peices i need for my swap! I have the AP which comes with a tune for the VF39 set up, so if i have a friend that knows alot about cars install everything, and then i tune it with the AP, is that going to be fine? Or should i have professional guys in a shop do it? The only shop around here i know of is about 45 minutes south of me, and the guys there are kinda a bunch skin flutes, i didn't like um much, and dont really think i want to give any business to them. but if thats the safest way to go then.... yeah

as far as the wheel lifting, its more when i gun it around a corner, then just strait line accl.

As far as my car taking off, my friend had a dream that i put gullwings on the subbie, and at high speeds it would take to the sky.....weird

#42 ·
as far as the wheel lifting, its more when i gun it around a corner, then just strait line accl.
Sounds pretty normal. I have had a few cars that felt like the front inside tire was coming up on turns. My brother actually had a CJ5 with a V8 that would slightly lift the front inside tire off the ground when goosed around a right turn, thanks to the detroit locker in the rear.

Do you have upgraded swaybars on the car? That will help with the body roll a bit.

#43 ·
I tried to put the STI intercooler into my car today. I wasn't going crazy trying to get it in, but it didn't seem like it wanted to fit in there very well. Honestly, i didn't try that hard at all, but still, it didn't seem very comfortable in there. Dose it just bolt right up, or do i need something else?? The intercooler came with the Y piping on the botom, and a red hose where the turbo plugs in

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.