vf series??? need clear up - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 07-31-2006, 07:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

scooby06rex is an unknown
vf series??? need clear up

out of the vf22, vf30, vf34 the VF22 is better correct??? if so why is the VF 34 more expensive? also outa the 3 which is my best bet for 300WHP or alil more around 320-340whp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-31-2006, 07:35 PM
WRXpert

LiL Shoaf is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to LiL Shoaf Send a message via Yahoo to LiL Shoaf
Please do research prior to posting a thread..

The below link answers your questions...

IHI VF Turbos Info

VF22

This turbo has the highest output potential of all of the IHI VF series turbos and is the best choice for those who are looking for loads of top end power. The top end power however, does not come without a cost. The VF22 spools significantly slower than the rest of the IHI models due to the larger P20 exhaust housing and is much less suited for daily driving than some of the other models. Although the largest VF series turbo, the VF22 is not quite optimal for stroked engines or those who wish to run more than 20PSI of boost.

VF30

The VF30 is commonly considered the best bang for the buck turbo in the IHI VF series line. A relatively new model the VF30 features the same exhaust housing as the VF24 but a larger compressor side similar to the VF22. The combination of these two parts results in increased output potential without the lag associated with the VF22. Although it doesn't offer the top end supremacy of the VF22, the VF30 is a great compromise between these unit and the quicker spooling models.

VF34

The VF34 is nearly identical to the VF30, with the same exhaust housing and compressor. However the VF34 goes back to the ball bearing design, and in doing so achieves full boost approximately 500RPM sooner than the comparable VF30. The VF34 is the most recent IHI design and as such costs slightly more than its counterpart. Top end performance and maximum output are identical to the 30.

02 WRX.. "It's fun when it runs.. Problem is that it hardly ever does..."
#3 Old 07-31-2006, 07:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

i know i already read that i actually have that stuff under my favorites...still doesnt answer my question...if the vf22 is better why so cheap, what would be the best of the three, or in other words which one should i purchase...like i said i want around 330awhp or as close to 350 as possible how can i achive that
#4 Old 07-31-2006, 08:01 PM
WRXpert

The IHI VF22 is not really the "BEST".. It does however offer the Highest "PEAK" horse power potential, but it has LAG.. Lag sucks!!! Your 2.5 will not be as bad as a 2.0 however.. I would suggest a "Bolt On" Garrett GT30R, but that's just me and my never quenching power cravings.. Always remember that you are not limited to the IHI series for a Bolt On Application.. Personally out of the (3) IHI VF Series turbos that you mentioned I would like to see you run the VF30 simply for the Torque.. Coupled with the 2.5 block it would be monster out of the hole and so nice to daily commute.

Any one agree or feel I'm way off base here??

#5 Old 07-31-2006, 08:06 PM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
The VF22 isn't necessarly better. The VF22 can achieve 310whp with a good tune. However, even though the VF34 can only achieve about 280whp with a good tune, it spools up considerably quicker than it's older brother with its newer roller bearing design. The difference is about 500rpm give or take. Of course, it you get a port and polish, it would also change your spool up time.

Neither of these turbos will get you the whp you want. I'd consider looking into an 18g. This thread would probably interest you.

EDIT: sorry, my post was based off a 2.0L, i have no idea what it would be for a 2.5

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
#6 Old 07-31-2006, 08:19 PM
WRXpert

I ran into the same thing.. Everything I see about the VF series is on the 2.0..

Lets look at this a little differently.. What EM are you running or planning to run? Where are you planning to get tuned? The best bet for a good solid tune and peak performance from your mods is to work with the components that your tuner is familiar with.. If your tuner suggests an 18g or 20g because he has tuned them and knows how they respond it will net you a better tune for less cash as he already has an idea where to start on your map.. If it's virgin territory it will take a couple more pulls to dial it all in...

#7 Old 07-31-2006, 11:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

j429b is an unknown
On the 2.5L you should definitely go atleast 18g and it will spool up quick enough for daily driving. But I would get a Gt30r, thats one badass turbo in my opinion. With that turbo you will be easily be able to hit 350 whp, probably right around 400.
#8 Old 08-01-2006, 02:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

thanks everyone for the input those were answers i need. as far as the fuel system, intercooler, tbe, and tune its not a problem for me but as far as the 2.5 block is 350awhp good to go on it....i see a lot of people saying 18g and Garretts i want a direct bolt in turbo are the Vf's the only ones for these cars? ### else will get me my 350awhp (dont wanna go to much over that) and safely and of course direct, also other things that would have to go along with it that i havent listed..thanks everyone
#9 Old 08-01-2006, 03:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

JTKFT is an unknown
Send a message via Yahoo to JTKFT
No the Vfs aren’t the only ones that will directly bolt up. I’m a Newb too so I get confused with all the acronyms sometimes myself. I found this on Forced Performance…

http://linux.forcedperformance.net/m...egory_Code=WRX

and this on Slowboy Racing

http://www.slowboyracing.com/shop.php?sid=&cat=3122

I think there are a lot of good people on here that want to help you achieve your goal. Do tons of research and listen to the people that have been around for a while. I think that will save you from countless headaches and from buying things twice.

J.T. 06 WRX
#10 Old 08-01-2006, 06:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

thanx for the links i checked out pretty much all the turbo's and still just can't figure out which i should go with that can get me close to 350awhp and at the same time be a direct bolt in...anyone running any turbos on those links or kno someone and has successfully made around and as close to 350awhp, i need definate answers because this comes down to what i buy. not to much lag but some is ok minut, you guys/gals know what to do thanks

as far as that linux site the turbo gives you tho option of 18g 605cfm's but doesnt give you any info...good turbo? direct bolt? and if so power i can make with it and where i should be around boost...thanks in advance, any advice welcome
#11 Old 08-01-2006, 06:29 PM
WRXpert

http://www.ultimate-racing.com/Produ...urboKits.shtml

(3) turbos listed.. All are "rotated Mount", but I know you can get a GT30R for a direct bolt on, however it's TIGHT... I'm also sure you can get a T3/T4 bolt on, all they do is change the Exhaust housing...

#12 Old 08-01-2006, 06:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

id be perfectly happy with that T3/T4E kit. not a bad price. now are you sure thats i direct bolt in, oil, and water lines and all...also internals are good for that power 373.97awap 392.38awtq @18psi...also if all is good for what i want (bolt directly in) on this turbo is there much lag? sorry for so many questions i just want the right turbo...
#13 Old 08-01-2006, 08:19 PM
WRXpert

The kit on that link is not a bolt in so don't buy from them, but you can purchase one that is direct bolt in.. You might have to pick up a different oil feed line depending on the turbo you choose but that is not really a big deal, they are less then 100 buck or you can go to a local hydraulics shop and have a custom one made, that is what I am going to do once I'm ready to "beautify" my engine bay once all the kinks are worked out.. The Internals of the 2.5 for 06 should hold that power, but it will be pretty mean to your transmission, it will break if abused.. As for Lag I can't say.. It will depend on what Exhaust housing you choose.. For example the GT35R with a .63 has less Lag then my .82 however I gained 75whp upgrading to the .82.. It's a trade off.. On a 2.5 block the GT30R would be fine to daily as I have NO issues daily streeting my GT35R on my 2.5 block.. I don't hit full boost till about 4500 rpm but that's 24psi...

#14 Old 08-02-2006, 05:54 AM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby06rex
i know i already read that i actually have that stuff under my favorites...still doesnt answer my question...if the vf22 is better why so cheap, what would be the best of the three, or in other words which one should i purchase...like i said i want around 330awhp or as close to 350 as possible how can i achive that
The VF22 is a thrust bearing turbo while the VF34 is a ball bearing turbo.Thats why the 34costs more than the 22 and the 30.The VF30 is the same turbo as a VF34 except for the ball bearing center cartridge.

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
#15 Old 08-02-2006, 11:59 AM
WRXtuners Member

is the vf22 a good turbo tho? get some power out of it and longevity...or is there another good one out there for a decent price..i really dont wanna spend 1500bucks