Turbo Back vs Engine Back Exhaust - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 03-04-2013, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

TA_wrx is an unknown
Question Turbo Back vs Engine Back Exhaust

Hey all, posing my first thread hear at WRX Tuners. I bought a 2012 WRX Sedan back in February and love it. At any rate, I am planning on doing a bit of tuning once my warranty is up so my R&R (Research and Refinement) is taking place now. Through research thus far, I've gotten the impression that an exhaust system is a great first place to start when tuning your WRX. What my research has told me so far is that if I'm going to upgrade the exhaust system with gains in mind I will have to at least get a turbo back exhaust. I'm leaning towards an Engine back exhaust, but my main question is: What am I gaining/loosing by going with or not going with an Engine back exhaust vs. a Turbo back exhaust? I've been told that the upgraded headers in an Engine back exhaust are "equal length" which gives better/even flow of the exhaust gases? How necessary is this in the grand scheme of things? With the future in mind, and more potential upgrades to follow which route should I go? Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-04-2013, 08:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
If your building a monster, go with EL's. but if your only looking to stay in the 300-375hp range, it's not needed.
What are our plans for power gain. Your suspension will need to be built to match most power gains as well.

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
post #3 of 10 Old 03-04-2013, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

TA_wrx is an unknown
Thanks for the Quick Response BLAZE! I honestly think I would like to stay within that 350-375 range that you quoted. Seems reasonable and keeps the car practical for a daily driver still (I think). For cost purposes, it seems like I could get away with Turbo Back according to your post. Now, lets say I get a little extra spending money; could I just add the EL's down the road without problem?

In regard to your suspension comment, I honestly was considering the Perrin Performance WRX Suspension Combo Kit. PERRIN Performance — — Subaru 2011+ Sport Suspension Combo Kit Does this seem like a practical way of getting my suspension where it needs to be. I like the idea of Coil Overs, but idk if I'm SUPER interested in them at this time. Seems like a lot of chedda just to be able to actively adjust my ride height. Pursuade me otherwise I suppose!
post #4 of 10 Old 03-04-2013, 10:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
I would pick another brand. Perrin the the last company I'd pick for suspension.

Coilovers are a wanton waste of money unless you regularly race the car on the tract on a competitive basis.
post #5 of 10 Old 03-04-2013, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

TA_wrx is an unknown
Thank you brfatal... Dually noted. Would you consider Perrin Performance a Go-To vendor for anything WRX tune related? Also, who would you go to for suspension related mods, brandwise?
post #6 of 10 Old 03-05-2013, 06:38 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
TiC for suspension goodies

- Turn in Concepts

Although I never had a problem with my Perrin sways and endlinks in the past, others have. That could be said about just about anything. Install error is common too.

Whiteline is popular, just do research on your year as to what endlinks will fit correctly with THAT bar.

Here's another place I would start :

http://www2.kartboy.com/x4/

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #7 of 10 Old 03-05-2013, 08:55 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
buy the brushing type front endlinks. Solid metal front endlinks will drive you insane.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #8 of 10 Old 03-05-2013, 12:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
There is no company that does it all. Honestly you're going to want to mix and match. Whiteline, Eibach, and RCE all make good sway bars. Kartboy endlinks are the most reputable. As for springs, WRXs don't tend to like being lowered much on the stock struts.

Perrin makes a few good things here and there, but they are not one of the aftermarket better companies.
post #9 of 10 Old 03-05-2013, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

TA_wrx is an unknown
Thanks again everyone for the input. It all helps and definitely opens new avenues for my personal research. For now I'll go and delve into what you have all provided me and see what new questions arise. Thanks again everyone and stay "tuned"!
post #10 of 10 Old 03-05-2013, 08:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Ten four

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement