Subaru WRX Forum banner

Tranny go BOOM!

3K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  Longshot 
#1 ·
So this morning at about 1130 my tranny blew up. I was shifting into second and there was a loud BOOM!!! and then there was no more second gear 1st still works and 3rd is iffy. So I took it to my dealership and they told me 850 for a used tranny and labor, is that a good price? I think the tranny has like....44000 on it

#4 ·
Well, let me just say that with myself doing the labor it cost me 550 just for 1st gear and a new input shaft.. So if you can truely get up and running again for that price I'd say if you feel comfortable purchasing a used tranny that you don't know how it was maintained or abused then jump on it.. If nothing else it allows you time to get something stronger and better.. Try to keep your old one so you can sell if for a little cash back, guys blown ones to put PPGs into so they don't have down time..

#5 ·
no fn way someone is selling you a used transmission for a wrx, installed, for 850 bucks. no. fn. way.

maybe its a new second gear and sychros, installed for 850.

if your popping gears now is the prime time to swap the gear bag entirely. get a whole new gear bag and have them install that in your existing transmission. ppgs or the other one everyone talks about. i cant remember the name.

used transmission installed for 850... PFT! if that truly is the case tell them you want their used trans as well, for spare parts, and then sell it to these guys.
EverDrive: Product Details

#9 ·
its definately less labor to swap in a used transmission than to rebuild the existing one. you still have to take the transmission out. but a used one you dont have to take apart and put back together.

i'm sure the shop already has this transmission or probably got it for like 200 bucks.

so for the price its all labor profit. 850 bucks is pretty good(for the shop) for about 3 hours work

#6 ·
nope, used tranny, installed 850 bux. Its from some company whos name now escapes me. But they have a 90 day warrenty on it....so i guess it cant be total crap.

I took it back to the place where I bought it and made quite a stink about it. Long story, but i was ready to start drop kicking people bedore i left there, and they knew it.

#11 ·
you cant swap the gear bag while the tranny is mounted..... no i guess you wouldn't be able too. transmissions are not that elaborate. sure they look complicated. but i can swap a full gear bag in a sequential transmission or the dog box out of a vw bus in under an hour. i hate it though, i cant stand the smell of used gear lube.

#12 ·
I get a 90 day warrenty with my tranny, so it cant be total crap. There was markings on my tranny (like junk yard markings) so if those are still there i'm going to start asking questions.

Its a small dealership, and the guys there all seem cool. I understand its a business, but these guys seem genuine.

Where can i find / how much is a new gear bag. And please educate me a little. i'm not sure what that would consist of. I know enough about cars to get around....but i'm no mechanic............I was thinking of learning this car inside and out however, I dont really plan on ever owning anything else.

#15 ·
at the shop i used to work at the same thing happened to a customer of ours. his tranny blew and he had a shop source and install a used one, and about a week after his ninety day warrenty, he blew out second gear again, so he brought it to our shop and we pulled it out and it was a 2.5 rs transmission.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.