Towing with a WRX - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 08-10-2008, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

bolden is an unknown
Towing with a WRX

I was not going to post this, but i thought it could help someone out there in a similar situation, and maybe just intrigue the rest of you.

I have been doing research looking for people who tow stuff with their WRX's and STI's, and it seemed as though most people are shocked that you can tow as much as you actually can. I was doing this research because the thought of owning an older STI has been on my mind, but the more i think about, the more i realize i need a wagon for my type of use.

Anyway, i thought i would let everyone know that you can in fact tow a small trailer very easily with a WRX. I have probably put on 15,000 miles of towing the trailer and i have had no problems at all. The car easily tows the trailer, and has seen its fair share of hideous roads that not even an empty WRX should have seen.

Here are a few pictures of the trailer and my car (05 WRX wagon).

Ben Bolden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-11-2008, 10:05 AM
WRXtuners Member

stagger_lee is more helpful than not
Thats the coolest trailer I've ever seen! Can you show us more pics of the interior? That one interior picture is boggling me. Is there a tent attachment? How do you sleep in there? Whats the tongue weight fully loaded? Looks cool.

Still love my 4 rings, but now all I see is stars.
White Collar Hippie
post #3 of 13 Old 08-11-2008, 10:49 AM
WRXtuners Member

scythenkai is an unknown
How about a boat? Mine is lowered and i was wondering what kind of affect the lowering of the car would have on towing a trailer.
post #4 of 13 Old 08-11-2008, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

bolden is an unknown
Quote:
Thats the coolest trailer I've ever seen! Can you show us more pics of the interior? That one interior picture is boggling me. Is there a tent attachment? How do you sleep in there? Whats the tongue weight fully loaded? Looks cool.
I actually don't have anymore pictures of the interior, i am not sure why.

Anyway, in the first picture you can see the fish on the side. That little knob in front of the fish and one behind it twist off and that entire piece of wood folds down and becomes a second bedroom. The first year we used the trailer it did not have this, so both my dad and i had to sleep in the 4'x6' interior (not fun).

From the interior shot you can see some pvc pipes. Those are used to create a structure so that a mosquito net and a tarp can be places on top. Amazingly it works well and we have never gotten wet.

I am not actually sure about the tongue weight, but i sometimes have to move the trailer around to get a proper level, so it can't be that much given that i can move it without killing myself.

Just for a little more information, that back that you see in the second picture is where the cooler and all of the cooking stuff is, so having a carnitas quesadilla is certainly possible. Adding things in my head, i have spent almost 17 weeks living out of this trailer in the past three summers.

Quote:
How about a boat? Mine is lowered and i was wondering what kind of affect the lowering of the car would have on towing a trailer.
I wish i knew the answer, but i can't completely help you with this question. If you look at the first picture there is not much space for the back wheels because of the tongue weight, so i am unsure if lowering the car would lead to problems with the back tire hitting in the wheel well.

Hopefully you can find a better answer.

Ben Bolden
post #5 of 13 Old 08-11-2008, 09:28 PM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
I just started flat towing my race car with my '02 wagon. I did 1300 miles this weekend. With a 2500 lb. car in tow, doing 75 with hills, and the AC on, I got 21 mpg. The car felt great, of course like towing with any vehicle you have to plan your braking and turning much earlier, and drive very smoothly. I feel very safe and confident with continuing this as my way to travel. I'll post much more about my trip in the road racing forums (as usual !). BTW my car is lowered, and I don't have issues, but with flat towing, there is no tongue weight. I'm pretty sure that the class 1 hitch rating for tongue weight is 200 lbs, which shouldn't affect your ride much, especially if the springs are stiffer than stock. I would not chance putting more than that weight on it though. How much does that trailer weigh ? Thanks for posting bolden.
post #6 of 13 Old 08-11-2008, 10:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

Thanks Ben. You explained it perfect. It all makes sense now. Soo compact and functional. Good times. My parents have been looking at these style traliers for a while now, but most are vintage and expensive, and the few companies that are producing this vintage style new are as well expensive. Did you guys fabricate this or buy it? If bought, who makes it? Thanks again Ben!

Wagenracer - Is flat towing with like a tongue or female part of the hitch attached to the front bumper of said towed car? So towed car is rolling behind you? If so, how does that affect drivetrain of towed car?

White Collar Hippie
post #7 of 13 Old 08-11-2008, 11:14 PM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
I'll post up pics in the road race forums, and yes, it's a tow bar that V's from the hitch to the front bumper mounts of the towed car (my car has a bumper that comes off with two bolts, and bumper shocks to mount the tow hardware to). Since the Porsche 924S (944spec) has no drive shaft, and the gear box is on the rear, it's not necessary to disconnect anything. Most rear wheel drive cars would require disconnecting the drive shaft, and towing AWD using this method would probably not work at all. I think FWD would be no problem, but correct me if I'm wrong there.

pics are here:
Towing my race car with the WRX
post #8 of 13 Old 08-12-2008, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

bolden is an unknown
Wagonracer - I have not weighed the trailer but i think it is somewhere around 1000 lbs, if not a little more. Also, when i tallied the miles and gallons from this summer i average 21 mpg, which i think is pretty good considering the places i have been.

Stagger_lee - My dad is a contractor, so we built it ourselves. It is based off a 4'x8' trailer we bought from harbor freight for a few hundred dollars. The idea actually came up because we saw some of those vintage tear drops and thought it was a cool idea.
post #9 of 13 Old 08-13-2008, 03:12 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Bolden, nice pics, and nice work on building that camper. Its awesome looking.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #10 of 13 Old 08-13-2008, 08:48 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolden View Post
Stagger_lee - My dad is a contractor, so we built it ourselves. It is based off a 4'x8' trailer we bought from harbor freight for a few hundred dollars. The idea actually came up because we saw some of those vintage tear drops and thought it was a cool idea.
Thats awesome. What material did you guys use to skin the top (rounded section)? My pops was a finish carpenter cabinet guy for years. I bet he could pull it off. You sparked all kinds of interest and creativity. You guys ever think about profiting from this? Seems like a no brainer to me. You build one and I'll make my parents buy it from you. Regardless, very impressive work.

White Collar Hippie
post #11 of 13 Old 08-13-2008, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

bolden is an unknown
Quote:
Thats awesome. What material did you guys use to skin the top (rounded section)? My pops was a finish carpenter cabinet guy for years. I bet he could pull it off. You sparked all kinds of interest and creativity. You guys ever think about profiting from this? Seems like a no brainer to me. You build one and I'll make my parents buy it from you. Regardless, very impressive work.
The roof is made out of a thin composite wood on the inside and then we put a sheet of 3/8 inch (i think) aluminum over the top. It all bended easily and it has been very stable so far.

I don't think we have ever thought of profiting from this. We get lots of comments on the road, but i think that most people would prefer their pop-up tents or rv's that have a lot more space and comfort.
post #12 of 13 Old 08-14-2008, 08:33 AM
WRXtuners Member

Well all I have to say is tent trailers suck, and I cant afford to drive an RV. Besides thats not camping. Get a hotel! haha. RVs are cool for the desert though with nice AC, and a fridge for yo beer. I'm all about roughing it though, and you guys are roughing it in style. Thanks again for all the info and pics!

White Collar Hippie
post #13 of 13 Old 08-17-2008, 04:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

08BlueRex is an unknown
I just got a new 08 wrx, I sold my cherokee for it. I'm planning on towing my sled (summit 800) behind it all next season. I hear they tow well. Thanks for the info...

ps-my first post/reply on this forum. I'm a newb to scoobs but I have much practice on them... Now I own one!

Peace
Sponsored Links
Advertisement