Subaru WRX Forum banner

Tmic

4K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Fidrat 
#1 ·
What would be the best tmic to get for my 03 WRX? I thought about swapping to a STi tmic, but they're kinda pricey. Is it really worth the price or is there any better ones? And are there any tmics that are similar to an STi tmic or nah?

#2 ·
Best one depends on your current mods and future plans. Sti tmic is a really good one and can be found used for $250-300. Some of the best tmic's out there are ets, grimmspeed, process west, and spearco. Those will run you about $800 and up new.

#5 ·
Best tested numbers Ive seen are on process west intercoolers. But thats an $800 investment. If everything else is stock you can get a great improvement in intake cooling with an STi TMIC for about $300 on ebay and you'll have $600 to play with next time you need tires.

Thats the way I would go.

#6 ·
If you are doing the STi top mount or anything that size or larger you'll need to do some adjustments under the scoop to allow air to the entire unit otherwise a good portion of the cooling surface will be going to waste. As others have said there are a LOT of options out there though from used STi to eBay to all sorts of high quality builders.

What are your goals with the car? Street fighter? Rally? AutoX? Drag? Budget build? Current mods/planned mods? All of these things can sway the "right answer"

#16 ·
I ran a 20g on a stock 2.0 for a long time without ever needing a colder plug....Granted now I have a custom built motor and require a different plug, but I doubt the need for a colder plug will arise in your set up. Especially if it's going to be mostly daily driven.

#18 ·
I"m confused??? They were recommended here...post#4 http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f52/getting-tune-monday-51897/

Big Ron says,"Do I need a colder spark plugs? A rule of thumb is one heat range colder for every 75–100hp you increase. In identical spark plug types, the difference from one full heat range to the next is the ability to remove 70°C to 100°C from the combustion chamber. The heat range numbers used by spark plug manufacturers are not universal, so a 10 heat range in Champion is not the same as a 10 heat range in NGK or in Autolite. When making the decision to change the heat range of your plugs, it is a wise idea to make changes in 1 heat range increments, checking all your plugs for suitability during your test. Vehicle modifications during the test phase of your plugs is not recommended as this may skew your results.

So really...do I need colder spark plugs? Probably not as in the end it won't make enough difference to be felt. But if you want the bling of saying you have iridium one step colder plugs and you enjoy the work, knock yourself out.

Do I need to consult with my tuner about spark plugs? Yes. Items in your car that can be tuner specific: manual boost controllers, electronic boost controllers, upgraded wastegates, restrictor pills, wastegate helper springs, external wastegates (type/size/brand), spark plug types/brands/gaps, and injector types/brands/sizes. ALWAYS take your tuner's advice on these matters no matter what the internet tells you!" From Unabombers manifesto

So..Yes or no?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.