Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Newbie Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   Threw my first code yesterday... (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f51/threw-my-first-code-yesterday-37057/)

DB_VW 07-22-2013 08:09 AM

Threw my first code yesterday...

Hi guys, first off I have an 08 WRX sedan with invidia high flow downpipe, and dual n1 exhaust with cobb short ram w/ air box, accompanied by a Cobb accessport with the 91 stage 2 tune.

Well.. I was coming on the high way, had fourth gear sitting at about 4 grand (about to blow the doors off of a new civic si who thought he had ball sack), and then I punched it i heard a noise and my engine light came on and the traction control light, and cruise control was flashing.

Upon reading the code, it was p0244 which is "waste gate solenoid A" minor overboost. Seems like this is a common issue especially in high rev's in upper gears.

I come from boosted VW's and I had a similar problem with my car when I chipped it. It turned out to be the diverter valve couldn't hold the boost that high. So my question is, would upgrading my diverter valve to a nice hybrid (50/50 valve) help things? Or is this just going to keep happening!

boo-key bear 07-22-2013 09:26 AM

Is your downpipe catted? If its not a catted downpipe would probably fix the issue. I dont think a 50/50 bov will fix overboosting. Sometimes a tuner can tune this out. Your other options are external wastegate or porting turbo's wastegate. I'm not sure if a aftermarket boost control solenoid would fix this either. Maybe someone els can chime in on that. Civic probably thinks he got ya...lol.

DB_VW 07-22-2013 09:40 AM

Oh I still beat the bag off the civic, rolling on 5th gear lol.

I figured an upgrade diverter valve would help hold the boost better. Because I figured that was what was causing the problem, the stock diverter valve couldn't handle the load and therefore it overboosted, but then again I don't know. Also I've read that it could be a fueling problem?

I'm kinda lost, from what else I've read its not a big deal and happens with the stage 2 tune. And yes my downpipe is catted.

psinuse 07-22-2013 11:01 AM

Yous shouldn't throw stuff, you could put someones eye out or even injure yourself.

pzr2874 07-22-2013 11:31 AM

It's overboosting... is it the stock BPV?

DB_VW 07-22-2013 12:16 PM

[quote=pzr2874;326977]It's overboosting... is it the stock BPV?[/quote]

"minor overboosting" yes it is. Thats why I thought maybe an upgraded diverter valve.

boo-key bear 07-22-2013 12:45 PM

Being in a high gear or at a low rpm and stomping it can make overboosting likely to happen also. Try to avoid this.

pzr2874 07-22-2013 01:06 PM

[quote=DB_VW;327009]"minor overboosting" yes it is. Thats why I thought maybe an upgraded diverter valve.[/quote]

Look into a Forge if anything... stand clear of BOV's.

the RIOT act 07-22-2013 01:55 PM

Mmmm...those stock BPV's lol! They struggle to handle anything above 17psi. That's the only reason I bought one with my stage 2 setup. I agree on Forge though, and not only cause I run one.

When I bought mine earlier this year Import Image Racing had the best price just FYI

[color=gray]Sent from [url=http://www.autoguide.com/mobile]AutoGuide.com App[/url][/color]

turmic 07-22-2013 01:59 PM

Have you tried the HWGDC map or LWGDC map? The 3rd Gens sometimes need the different WGDCs or they have issues. That's about the only downfall to the 3rd Gens...that and the plastic BPV and IC end tanks that they get. Ok, so a few issues....but, the VF52 on 09s and up is very nice. VF48s are nice on the older layout (Still the same layout on STIs for the 3rd Gens).

DB_VW 07-22-2013 02:03 PM

[quote=pzr2874;327041]Look into a Forge if anything... stand clear of BOV's.[/quote]

Forge 007 valve is what I had on my VW. Was looking into that or cobb hybrid and/or a turbosmart one.

psinuse 07-22-2013 02:07 PM

[quote=DB_VW;326881](about to blow the doors off of a new civic si who thought he had ball sack)[/quote]

Did this guy have his testicle removed?

DB_VW 07-22-2013 02:08 PM

[quote=psinuse;327145]Did this guy have his testicle removed?[/quote]

Pretty sure its part of the contract when buying a honda.

turmic 07-22-2013 02:11 PM

They got sucked into the scoop Keith. Kind of like this bird...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/kk0ieEGMcFo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ok, why do we continue to drag topics off topic...? FOL

DB_VW 07-22-2013 02:11 PM

[quote=the RIOT act;327089]Mmmm...those stock BPV's lol! They struggle to handle anything above 17psi. That's the only reason I bought one with my stage 2 setup. I agree on Forge though, and not only cause I run one.

When I bought mine earlier this year Import Image Racing had the best price just FYI

[color=gray]Sent from [url=http://www.autoguide.com/mobile]AutoGuide.com App[/url][/color][/quote]

Yeah that is what i've read. Will be ordering one ASAP.