2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 41 Old 10-23-2013, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Eric08 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by LW_Black4 View Post
Eric08,
Go with a stock tranny rebuild, when it's required.
How much do these usually run?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 Old 10-24-2013, 08:02 AM
WRXtuners Member

ride5000 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
Me when explaining why a statement saying that EJ205s are more durable than EJ255/7s is wrong.
since when does "durability" mean the same as "power capacity?"

for sheer numbers of bottom end engine failures, the ej255/257 reigns supreme. does that mean they're LESS reliable?
post #33 of 41 Old 10-24-2013, 11:11 AM
WRXtuners Member

RockwallSubi is an unknown
I don't know much about the 02 but 3.5k doesn't seem like a bad price for that car. Just go on Craigslist and see what they are selling around your area and then check some websites online
post #34 of 41 Old 10-24-2013, 11:39 AM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
It's the right price for something you wouldn't put a reliable stamp on.
arewmors likes this.

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
post #35 of 41 Old 10-24-2013, 02:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride5000 View Post
since when does "durability" mean the same as "power capacity?"

for sheer numbers of bottom end engine failures, the ej255/257 reigns supreme. does that mean they're LESS reliable?
Well duh.

The EJ255 and 257 been in production for 10 years each. The EJ205 was only made for 4. Think about it.... Not to mention people are pushing the EJ25s much harder than they were EJ20s. You don't see as many 20G'ed stock 205s as you do 30R'ed stock 255/257s. Durability defines capacity. If it can take more pressure and has a higher resistance to knock damage, then it has a higher power capacity.

This is overlooking the bearing failure issue that hit early '09 WRXs that has already worked itself thru. That was a legitimate design flaw.

Last edited by brfatal; 10-24-2013 at 04:04 PM.
post #36 of 41 Old 10-24-2013, 02:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

LW_Black4 is known to be trustworthy and helpful LW_Black4 is known to be trustworthy and helpful LW_Black4 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Here's an expert panel's view on EJ engine reliabilty:

Engine Building Tips From the Pros - Are EJ-Series Engines as Weak as Tuners Claim?
http://www.importtuner.com/tech/impp...#ixzz2RFHfz3XT

They are fabulous engines that can make plenty of power if built properly and the right fuel is used.

Laszlo - blue '04 WRX
Meet the turbocharged rally-bred Subaru WRX.
blue '09 STi - lease return

Last edited by LW_Black4; 10-24-2013 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Add image.
post #37 of 41 Old 10-24-2013, 03:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

03bugeyeDude is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric08 View Post
Hows everybody doing,

I currently own a 91 dsm 16g etc.. and i'm thinking about purchasing my co-workers 2002 wrx wagon that's bone stock to have also. It has 183,000 miles and he is the original owner. Oil has been changed on consistent intervals at about 5,000 full synthetic, but he has been running shitty fram filters for quite some time. Also, the trans has only had the oil changed in it once, and clutched replaced once by the dealer. I am kind of concerned about this knowing these cars have had iffy transmissions. I do believe that he mostly granny's the car, and the miles are mostly highway. Also, it has original fluid in the rear end. I can probably get the car for $3,500 and it also comes with an extra set of either 05 or 06 wrx wheels, with one oddball tire in the set. Do you guys think this is a good deal? How much of a concern is the transmission fluid neglect and also in the rear end? I know a gear set can be like $1,700. Other than those issues it looks good, and has good power. Will need tires soon. Timing belt was done at a little over 100K and I would plan to do it again once I bought it.

Do you believe that I could get well over 200K on this current car without any issues if I keep up on general maintenance? I'm mechanically inclined and have worked on multiple cars/bikes, not much transmission experience though. Thorough believer in manuals though. I am also a mechanical engineer.

Thank You,

Eric
I honestly dont think it's a bad price/deal... If he kept a good maintenance (all fluids and all) then it's worth that price... obviously if he never had any problems or symptoms with transmission-rear-diff-etc then I think that car is in fair condition.... I know 2 wrx that are pretty much stock, never being modified and always did the simply maintenance and they are still running with over 250k miles....
post #38 of 41 Old 10-24-2013, 05:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

ride5000 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
Durability defines capacity. If it can take more pressure and has a higher resistance to knock damage, then it has a higher power capacity.
what exactly does "more pressure" mean?

what kind of proof do you have that 205s have a lower resistance to knock damage?

a wider bore is more succeptable to knock in the first place, as the flame front has longer to travel. which design has a wider bore?

Quote:
This is overlooking the bearing failure issue that hit early '09 WRXs that has already worked itself thru. That was a legitimate design flaw.
:lol:

that's some funny sidestepping right there! you have a future in politics.
post #39 of 41 Old 10-25-2013, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Eric08 is an unknown
I drove the car and it seems to shift fine. There is a weird noise though coming form the rear. I possibly think it could be that the tires are really worn out. There is a repeated thumping noise like the tires have a flat spot. Its frequency is more noticeable at low speeds. This noise is speed dependent rather than rpm dependent. For example, I am cruising at say 40 mph at a higher rpm and then shift to a lower rpm with the same speed and the noise remains the same. Wouldnt this rule out rear end damage?
post #40 of 41 Old 10-25-2013, 11:31 AM
WRXtuners Member

ride5000 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric08 View Post
I drove the car and it seems to shift fine. There is a weird noise though coming form the rear. I possibly think it could be that the tires are really worn out. There is a repeated thumping noise like the tires have a flat spot. Its frequency is more noticeable at low speeds. This noise is speed dependent rather than rpm dependent. For example, I am cruising at say 40 mph at a higher rpm and then shift to a lower rpm with the same speed and the noise remains the same. Wouldnt this rule out rear end damage?
no, as the rear end rotation is always proportional to vehicle speed, not engine speed.

it could be a wheel bearing, or a rear diff bearing. if you're certain it's coming from the back of the car, it's not likely to be center diff/xfer case bearings.
post #41 of 41 Old 10-28-2013, 05:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride5000 View Post
what exactly does "more pressure" mean?

what kind of proof do you have that 205s have a lower resistance to knock damage?

a wider bore is more succeptable to knock in the first place, as the flame front has longer to travel. which design has a wider bore?
More abuse, which is an all encompassing term. Higher boost levels, higher flowing turbo, etc

I don't have conclusive proof one way or the other, nobody does. However a good amount of pure observation shows that EJ25s are less failure prone in harsher conditions than EJ20s.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement