Talk me out of this car? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 10-17-2012, 08:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

Paradigm_Drift is an unknown
Talk me out of this car?

Hey guise, another helpless soob noob here. Looking at an 06 wrx with an STI swap. Did a keyword search and didn't find the answers I was really looking for so was wondering if I could hear some thoughts from the community. The car:

Subaru : Impreza TR in Subaru | eBay Motors

Where do I start as far as questions for the seller? Here is some text from a reply that he sent me. He seems pretty straight up about everything, just doesn't seem to know much about the car:

(seller)
"well I bought this car basically just for fun plus I needed car to get back to work and home, I have only put 2k miles on this car, so I haven't had it for a long time. Within those 2k miles I never had a problem.The tires are about 75% tread left, I installed HID's (low only), the motor is stock, no mods, and I dont have a boost controller so I never boosted it above stock psi. It has a new OEM style Spec clutch in it, resurfaced the flywheel.The only reason I have this car was because it was a bank repo, I dont have any recipes on the swap or who did it, Im just going off what the original owner has told me, but the swap looks stock, no wires all over the place or anything like that, very clean swap. The original owner also told me it was done professionally at a shop in Las Vages. When I first got the car it did have a CEL, but it was for the o2 sensor, I later replaced it and never had a CEL come back on.Car has cruse control, power locks, power windows, everything works just fine. I was using this car as a work car at the time because, I wrecked my work truck (why I bought the car).Over all I never ran the car hard at all, far as reliability aspect, I never had any problems. its a fun car, I just have to sell some cars that I have, down sizing, plus Im after the new Camaro." End of reply

He also added in another reply that the engine came out of a totaled STI, he didn't know what year, and that the engine had about 10k miles on it.

As far as the car is concerned, it is nice and clean. I also like the fact that it is a sleeper and does not have a spoiler. My concerns however are, 1. Who did the swap, and how good of a job did they do. 2. How come the engine had to be replaced at 41,xxx miles? Is that an indicator that the car was beat on?

If I was to purchase this car, I would be using it as a daily driver. So I guess break out the crayons, draw me some pictures, and throw in some pointers or reasons to buy or not buy the car.

Other additional info: I am already approved by my bank to make a purchase, I have found three hen's teeth but not a single good 06-07 wrx, I REALLY like how this car looks, I could be persuaded to go out of the 06-07 realm to maybe an 08 or 09, the budget is somewhere between 10-15k, how much should I offer?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-17-2012, 08:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Okay don't buy it...Did that work....lol Find out who did the swap and I can tell you whether or not that car is any good.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#3 Old 10-17-2012, 08:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psinuse View Post
Okay don't buy it...Did that work....lol Find out who did the swap and I can tell you whether or not that car is any good.
Well since I am not going to buy it now......j/k, will message seller and see if he can find out who did the swap.
#4 Old 10-17-2012, 10:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

synolimit is a helpful contributing member
its used nuff said.

jk but not really. hes asking $800 below retail and it has a motor swap. which should mean someone modded and didnt know what they were doing so whos to say they did it right a second time?! also it has a motor swap so only $800 under retail is a joke.

my 2011 is for sale at only 7K more and $3000 under retail if that tells you anything!!

Scott-2011 WRX 335HP 394TQ 93 VF52!
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2011-wrx-build-31226/
#5 Old 10-18-2012, 03:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

I guess another question would be how much of a big deal is it to take a stock STI engine and drop it into a WRX with no other mods? Are we talking splicing and reprogramming? I know that if you were to take certain older chevrolet trucks and pull the six cylinder you can bolt a 350 right up to the same bell housing. I suspect that is not the case with an STI swap.

What type of issues could you run into with a swap such as this?

Other info - emailed the seller asking who did the swap and this was his reply:

(Seller) - The original owner never told me the shop name, if you would like me to take more detailed pictures of the engine bay I can, like I said, it's a very clean swap, no wires showing or out of order. End of text.

I plan on calling him/her later at some point and seeing if they could contact the previous owner and figure out what shop the car was taken to in Las Vegas.
#6 Old 10-18-2012, 04:10 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
The only thing that will ever give you any information about that car is if it is taken to a decent tuner and given a once over.

I'd bet money the engine is an EJ255 with a VF39/43 and STi TMIC on it.

And he's asking waaay too much money. $16k I'd be tempted to give you my keys.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#7 Old 10-18-2012, 08:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
The only thing that will ever give you any information about that car is if it is taken to a decent tuner and given a once over.

I'd bet money the engine is an EJ255 with a VF39/43 and STi TMIC on it.

And he's asking waaay too much money. $16k I'd be tempted to give you my keys.
His description states that the engine is the EJ257. Know any good tuners in the Ocean Springs, Mississippi area? I would be willing to pay to have it looked over by a pro. If everything was done correctly on the car I would likely pull the trigger.

I definately agree that he is asking way too much. Opinions on what I should offer? For the record, I have every intention of insulting him with a low offer. I mean that in a nice way though.

I was kind of hoping you guys would pick this car apart a little more, but kind of surprised that no one is really throwing an opinion out there. Maybe I am imagining things or I am having some hardcore subaru lust, but that car is really calling out to me, but then again, I have seen some nicely polished turds in my lifetime.
#8 Old 10-19-2012, 05:30 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
It's a nice car for sure. But the motor is what bothers me. Go test drive it (I know it's a haul). If he picked it up as a repo, he should be asking a bit less, maybe 3-4K less.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#9 Old 10-19-2012, 02:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradigm_Drift View Post
His description states that the engine is the EJ257. Know any good tuners in the Ocean Springs, Mississippi area? I would be willing to pay to have it looked over by a pro. If everything was done correctly on the car I would likely pull the trigger.

I definately agree that he is asking way too much. Opinions on what I should offer? For the record, I have every intention of insulting him with a low offer. I mean that in a nice way though.

I was kind of hoping you guys would pick this car apart a little more, but kind of surprised that no one is really throwing an opinion out there. Maybe I am imagining things or I am having some hardcore subaru lust, but that car is really calling out to me, but then again, I have seen some nicely polished turds in my lifetime.
I suddenly find myself liking a whole lot....

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#10 Old 10-21-2012, 07:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psinuse View Post
I suddenly find myself liking a whole lot....
Ha, yeah someone once told me that if you aren't embarassed by your offer then it isn't low enough. I am pretty good at embarassing myself so I should be able to get it pretty low.

Well here is what I have decided to do. I have sent the seller a message asking them if they would be willing to take it to a subaru dealer and let their mechanics go over it with a fine tooth comb. Of course I would gladly pay for them to do that. I am going by the logic that if it was a clean swap done by a professional shop, then everything should check out just fine. Thoughts anyone?
#11 Old 10-22-2012, 05:57 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Sounds like a deal. But remember, if it comes back fine, bet he doesn't budge by much.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#12 Old 11-17-2012, 09:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

I Love Stick is an unknown
Trans

Eh still has the wrx 5 speed

could any issues arise in the future due to the extra power?
#13 Old 11-17-2012, 09:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
If beat, but that's everything. I have the weakest of all our trannys, with a larger turbo and supporting mods, along with higher boost... I'm still good as far as my trans goes.
It all in the driver (for the most part)

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#14 Old 11-18-2012, 10:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
If it were me, I would find an independent professional Subaru shop to check it out and skip the idea of going to a Subaru dealer.

Matt
70 to 100 faster than you can say "whoooossshh!"