Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Newbie Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   ???synthetic oil??? - merged (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f51/synthetic-oil-merged-15606/)

06TR06 12-04-2006 02:01 PM

???synthetic oil??? - merged

Is synthetic oil any good for my 06 TR?

JOHNYCAMP 12-04-2006 02:28 PM

mobil 1 , redline , or royal purple works nicely.

06TR06 12-04-2006 02:45 PM

some people are saying that synthetic can harm my engine...

Vew 12-04-2006 03:59 PM

As discussed many times before, synthetic oils are far superior to 'dyno' oils. They are able to withstand higher temperatures and lubercate better at those temperatures. They also don't cake up like dyno oils can at extreme temperatures. You can only benifit from switching.

However, the problem with synthetic oil is that they lubercate too well. In order to properly break in a new engine or even a new turbo for that matter, you have to run it with old fashion dyno oil first. After that, it is usually safe to make the switch. Don't be switching back and forth either. Stick with one.

And regardless what people say, synthetic does not allow you to extend your change intervals. It all depends on the way you drive, where you drive, and the how well your filter work is... filtering. The only TRUE way to tell if the oil needed to be changed is getting it chemically tested at a lab. 3750miles is Subaru's recommend change interval.

bigbadbuddha 12-04-2006 04:40 PM

Vew you are my hero...
Synthetic all the way.... I run Amsoil and love it.
I change my oil every 3000 miles at most....

Vew 12-04-2006 04:52 PM

[QUOTE=bigbadbuddha]
I change my oil every 3000 miles at most....[/QUOTE]

Ditto. Oil is cheap. Repairs aren't.

WRX_JUNKI 12-04-2006 04:53 PM

I just stick to what they recommend.

Black05WRX 12-04-2006 09:36 PM

synthetic oil also wont coke the turbo up if you dont let it idle like dyno oil will.

Ian 12-04-2006 10:39 PM

[QUOTE=06TR06]some people are saying that synthetic can harm my engine...[/QUOTE]
Don't ever listen to those people again. Synthetic is the best for our cars. Just make sure if you use it that you never switch back and forth between regular and synthetic

Flat 4 12-06-2006 07:52 AM

2005 STi- Synthetic Oil?

I was debating on upgrading to using synthetic oil. My car has 26,600 miles on it. Would it be beneficial to upgrade, and is it even recommended by Subaru to run synthetic in the STi's motor?

I've never used synthetics in any of my previous vehicles, and have never run into problems, so I'm a bit skeptical. Also, how long would I be able to go between oil changes?

Vew 12-06-2006 09:29 AM

[QUOTE=Flat 4]I was debating on upgrading to using synthetic oil. My car has 26,600 miles on it. Would it be beneficial to upgrade, and is it even recommended by Subaru to run synthetic in the STi's motor?

I've never used synthetics in any of my previous vehicles, and have never run into problems, so I'm a bit skeptical. Also, how long would I be able to go between oil changes?[/QUOTE]

Yes, and the interval is the same as before.

Blzzrd 12-06-2006 10:19 AM

[QUOTE=Flat 4]I was debating on upgrading to using synthetic oil. My car has 26,600 miles on it. Would it be beneficial to upgrade, and is it even recommended by Subaru to run synthetic in the STi's motor?

I've never used synthetics in any of my previous vehicles, and have never run into problems, so I'm a bit skeptical. Also, how long would I be able to go between oil changes?[/QUOTE]

In addition to what Vew said, please note that when you start using synthetic you cannot go back to regular without getting flushed.

Strider327 12-06-2006 01:49 PM

Two Words: HELL YEAH!!!

joker97 12-06-2006 04:09 PM

synthetic! i dont think we can find non synthetic oils in this country!

Ian 12-06-2006 05:32 PM

[QUOTE=joker97]synthetic! i dont think we can find non synthetic oils in this country![/QUOTE]
Really?WTF