Subaru WRX Forum banner

swapped '03 2.0 engine into an '04 wrx model, failed emissions - now what?

4K views 29 replies 8 participants last post by  psinuse 
#1 ·
So I have a 2004 WRX complete Stock. It has 250K on the odometer. We put in a used '03 2.0 engine (75000 miles when installed) because the original engine died at 220K.

Now I just failed emissions (state of Virginia) and my car registration is over in 3 days. I'm getting 4 codes:

p0447 - evaporate emission control system vent control circuit open
p0457 - evaporate emission system link (fuel cap loose/off)
p0420 - Catalyst System Efficiency below Threshold (bank 1)
p1491 - ??? something to do with pcv valve with the 03 engine and the ecu.

Money is incredibly tight. State of Virginia allows for waivers if i make repairs exceeding $780...

I went to the dealership about 8 months ago, and they said the fact that I used a 03 engine in my 04 model was going to cause some issues with emissions. Fortunately I kept my old engine for parts.

Should I go to dealer? To qualify for a waiver, the repair work must be done at a VA certified emissions repair facility. My subaru dealership is not...

I just need some guidance on a point of attack here.

See less See more
#5 ·
Just swapping motors isn't going to change anything emissions wise, you obviously didn't hook everything up correctly. Take those codes and look at those emissions devices to make sure they are hooked up correctly...

#9 ·
If he kept the same heads and wiring harness. Then what is the difference? A short block is a short block. Just a case, crank, rods, pistons, and bearings. The whole bottom end is the same. The difference lies in the ECU, wiring harness, and heads in different years.

#11 ·
Are you? He's not having issues with his short block, he's having issues with the evap systems not working properly.

So I have a 2004 WRX complete Stock. It has 250K on the odometer. We put in a used '03 2.0 engine (75000 miles when installed) because the original engine died at 220K.
He said he swapped the motor, and he failed emissions, which are managed by the ecu via sensors that run into the harness. The harness and ECU has differences between the 02/03 and 04/05 years. He didn't put any details of how he did the swap, which harness and ecu he used, and this can cause issues with how the evap systems communicate with the ECU if its not done correctly.

#14 ·
And I said nothing about the short block

ME: I've read about someone doing the same swap and having the same evap issues due to the harness/ecu differences, can't remember the specifics though.

YOU: The ECU is different, but that has nothing to do with the shortblock, they are the same.

^I said nothing about the short block

ME: Yeah, but all he said was that he swapped motors, he didn't say anything about the harness or ECU. If i remember correctly the guy used an 03 harness with a 04 ECU, and thats what caused the issues.

I'll match attitude with attitude. Of course i'm posting on the right thread, but you're obviously not following what i'm saying.

#15 ·
If he's cash strapped...something tells me he isn't swapping long blocks. So, it sounds like a short block swap out to me. I guess the OP needs to respond to say what he really has done. Which, I doubt he's even returning at this point.

#16 ·
Its irrelevant to what i was saying, all I said was there was a guy who did the same swap but used a mix of harness and ecu that cause the same exact problems in hope he would post more details about the swap and everyone decides to act like i'm crazy for saying it.

At any rate, i'm done commenting on this thread.

#19 ·
This guy didn't swap harness only shortblocks. I posted that he needs to look for things that are disconnected, which is more than likely what is wrong. I understand what you are saying, but since he didn't swap the harness then there is no reason for him to try following that method.

#21 ·
Swapped '03 2.0 engine into an '04 wrx model, failed emissions - now what?
Says right there in the first part of the post...

#23 ·
Thanks for replying.

It was just a swap out except the ecu. So i have a 04 model ecu with '03 engine (bug-eye version). 03 wiring harness and 03 intake manifold.

At this point, i'm cash strapped. Should I just get a tactrix cable to zap the code p1491 away? In addition I'm get p0447.

Also my mechanic says he can install my intake from my old engine '04 back for $250

Thoughts....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.