Subi Noobie Stage 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 61 Old 08-01-2012, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Jaise is an unknown
Red face Subi Noobie Stage 2

So I just bought my '12 Subi WRX in March and have just performed the first oil change ~3k. I babied it and broke it nice and smooth like. I am trying to research upgrading it from factory settings to stage 2, but honestly don't really know where to begin. I have read many a forum on tips for getting more power and stuff but I feel I need to take forum advice with a grain of salt. (I don't want to be taking advice from an in-experienced 17 year old haha) I don't come from a mechanical background (meaning I don't have the knowledge for performing the upgrades myself due to just not knowing), and am rather scared to perform anything myself. However, I feel that I would like to start learning.

I was hoping people could shed some light as to what all is involved with beefing it up from stock to stage 2. What order to replace parts and matter of importance? (Yes, I would prefer not to void the warrantee just yet, also) In addition, what do you feel could be done with a noob's frame of mind and what should be left to professionals. I am competent and can follow directions, I just don't know what directions to follow, haha. I want to learn and perform at least some work myself, I am just purely afraid of messing things up.

Also, I live in Oklahoma and there aren't any pro tuners here either, so that means I would have to go to Texas most likely to get that done. Any reputable information, guides, and tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time and willingness to help a noob out

PS if you use acronyms, please define them, I get confused sometimes haha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 Old 08-01-2012, 12:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
1-Are you worried about the warranty?
1A-No-Get an AP
2A-Yes-Leave the car alone as far as power goes

I await your response... lol

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #3 of 61 Old 08-01-2012, 01:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

WrxCruising is an unknown
If you want to be 100% sure your warranty won't be voided by mods than simply don't mod the car. Almost all power mods need the car to be tuned (Cobb AP, open source, etc.) and that can be detectible even though it says it can be uninstalled. You wouldn't want to take the chance if you want your warranty.
post #4 of 61 Old 08-01-2012, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Jaise is an unknown
Smile

Quote:
1-Are you worried about the warranty?
1A-No-Get an AP
2A-Yes-Leave the car alone as far as power goes

I await your response... lol
Ha.

1) I am a little worried because this is my first legit car (brand new) and I just want to ensure that it is the best kept that I can do. I mean, it will be some time before I can afford to do upgrades so I am doing my research and stuff now so I can plan a bit. But when I can afford it, I know that it will most likely void the warrantee.

1A) What is an AP, lol

2A) Stage 2 isn't JUST about power. One should also upgrade suspension, etc.

Eventually I want the whole car to be Stage 2, but like I said, I am inexperienced. I don't know how to perform the upgrades and I'm not a veteran in the sense of knowing how / why certain parts need to be upgraded. But you have to start somewhere and I thought asking the community for GOOD and VALID advice would somewhat alleviate the inexperience. The best way to learn is to do it. I would just like some direction. =)
post #5 of 61 Old 08-01-2012, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Jaise is an unknown
I'm also reading that a Catback is another mod to make. How do you feel about that? It is not supposed to void the warranty. I don't see how it gives any additional power or perks nonetheless. Ideas?
post #6 of 61 Old 08-01-2012, 03:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
A catback won't give you any gains... If it does, it will be minimal at best.

"Stage 2" is referred to just the power mods.

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #7 of 61 Old 08-01-2012, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Jaise is an unknown
Yeah I understand that. I am trying to find places that describe the +/- of upgrading one part over another, the order of upgrading parts, and the overall boost from stock to a given part. I essentially need a check list. Also, tuning....completely over my head haha
post #8 of 61 Old 08-01-2012, 04:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Leave the car as it is. Learn to drive it to it's full potential before modifying it...If you want to mod it then buy a set of good tires...

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #9 of 61 Old 08-01-2012, 04:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

AllExtinct is known to be trustworthy and helpful AllExtinct is known to be trustworthy and helpful AllExtinct is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Wait wait....
Abbra Cadabbra!

_THE_ WRX Modification Guide *Complete*

Hope that answers your questions.

Cobb Accessport Stage 2.
JDM ej205 swap.

Hakuna Matata.

Chuck.
post #10 of 61 Old 08-01-2012, 04:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
That thing is way out of date....I really need to finish mine...

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #11 of 61 Old 08-01-2012, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Jaise is an unknown
Quote:
Wait wait....
Abbra Cadabbra!

_THE_ WRX Modification Guide *Complete*

Hope that answers your questions.
Awesome! Thank you very much. I am trying my damnedest to not rush into tuning / modding my car. I want to take the time to read, research, and bounce ideas off people. This is something that I want to do in the future, but like I said, it is better to read and obtain the knowledge and slowly work my way into the mods and stuff. Speaking of which, how credible is the guide? Is the information within legit?

Quote:
Leave the car as it is. Learn to drive it to it's full potential before modifying it...If you want to mod it then buy a set of good tires...
I definitely plan on investing in suspension and tires before I start throwing down under the hood, mostly because safety > power imho. I am currently learning the toe-heel technique as well as making sure I get up/down shifting correct as well as perfecting turning (as to minimize over/under steering). These are things I can do right out of the box and there are no needs for mods to perfect these skills. But like I said, I am just trying to take the easy going road and get more into it over time. I just wanted somewhere to start - and to quench my nerves because I really want to learn as much as I can about this beautiful machine. <3 Boxxer.

Thank you everyone for your input. If you have any other suggestions, ideas, comments, etc feel free to throw them out there.
post #12 of 61 Old 08-01-2012, 05:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

AllExtinct is known to be trustworthy and helpful AllExtinct is known to be trustworthy and helpful AllExtinct is known to be trustworthy and helpful
^ yes it's kind of out of date but I'm sure most of the info is the same.
The search bar will open up a world of good info on this site,so try to search for it and if you can't find it Im sure one of us gearheads on here can help ya.

Good luck man.

Cobb Accessport Stage 2.
JDM ej205 swap.

Hakuna Matata.

Chuck.
post #13 of 61 Old 08-01-2012, 06:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllExtinct View Post
^ yes it's kind of out of date but I'm sure most of the info is the same.
The search bar will open up a world of good info on this site,so try to search for it and if you can't find it Im sure one of us gearheads on here can help ya.

Good luck man.
Who are you calling a gearhead?!Laugh!

Jaise you seem to have a good head on your shoulders and I am glad to see someone do a bit of research before asking questions about BOVs, CAIs and honkin' huge turbo upgrades.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #14 of 61 Old 08-01-2012, 08:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

Better a gearhead than a grease monkey.

Cobb Accessport Stage 2.
JDM ej205 swap.

Hakuna Matata.

Chuck.
post #15 of 61 Old 08-01-2012, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Jaise is an unknown
Quote:
Jaise you seem to have a good head on your shoulders and I am glad to see someone do a bit of research before asking questions about BOVs, CAIs and honkin' huge turbo upgrades.
Thank psinuse. BOVs sound cool, but I feel it would get annoying as hell after a while. Plus there isn't any added benefit imo. I am interested in power, but I wanted to go about it in the right way. I love my car, I paid a lot of hard-earned money for it, and want to ensure that she is well taken care of. Seeing I have no one to teach me their expertise, I need to acquire my own knowledge and to do that, you have to listen. You might enjoy what I have below?

--

After browsing around for quite a while, I have come to these conclusions:

1. I am probably gonna wait to upgrade my car until the warranty expires. I just don't want to void it, just in case.

2. Despite (1.) I am probably gonna upgrade the tires first.

3.Then after (1.) suspension, fuel pump and injectors, (brakes), intake, inter cooler, cat-back exhaust, down pipe, turbo, (brakes). And I feel that I can do all that myself, its mostly just bolting stuff. I wouldn't have to take then engine out for those things.

- I say that order because the suspensions are something I can do while waiting for my warranty and safety > speed =P.
- The fuel pump and injectors because it will help it supplying the demands needed for turbo, and I believe they can be changed without voiding the warranty.
- Intake can hold for a while, and boosts max 6 hp since the stock one is pretty good. Getting this, will help better cool the engine for more better mixtures, needed with new injectors.
- Inter cooler to supply demand of new turbo, bigger gain.
- Cat-back exhaust to open up the exhaust for better emissions. Gain in hp and everyone knows the boxxer engine sounds bad ass. (cat converter gone obv -- err -- i mean, if they go out of course)
- Down pipe so the air leaving turbo can leave more efficiently compared to stock one since its garbage.
- Turbo can finally come into play once all it's need have been met. Vroom!

* Not real sure where brakes come into play. I think I should get them before upgrading everything else, but I also feel they can wait...

Other than that, I feel everything else stock will do great (from various forums). If there is something I missed, and/or have suggestions or comments, I welcome it all. Thanks in advance for your help. Ready...GO! =P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement