Subaru WRX Forum banner

Subaru WRX cost

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  wrxtim 
#1 ·
Hello. I was wondering what the cost and upkeep of a wrx is compared to my current car. As of right now, i own a 2005 mustang with about 110000 miles on it. It looks like its in perfect condition. But recently repairs have been pricey whether i do it myself or use a shop. Im questioning the reliability a bit. i loved wrxes and stis so im looking to get one. Some info before you answer. Im a pizzahut delivery driver working between 30 to 40 hours a week driving. Ive Put on approx 10k to 13k miles since i started working in august/September. I would have approximately 8-10000 to spend since i would be able to sell my car for thay much.
thanks!
-Andrew

#2 ·
Cost of upkeep depends alot on the condition of the car you get. If you keep everything stock the upkeep cost is pretty standard. They are turbo charged so there is some extra wear and tear that isntr nessessariy there on NA vehicles but everything is realtive. The EJ platform also has some great longevity. You wont have a hard time finding a 10 year old WRX that still in great shape.

As for the actual maintenance items

Synthetic oils, OEM oil filters, 3,000 mile oil change intervals

You do have an extra part to service with all wheel drive cars, thats the rear differential.

You also cant get away with only buying 2 tires at a time so that may be viewed as an additional cost.

Other than that you take care of it and it will take care of you. I think Subarus own statistics are that 96% or all Suabrus built in the last 10 years are still on the road, so theres something good to say there.

#6 ·
I don't know about the 15'$ but, I'd $ay their maintenance i$ $imilar to the previou$ model$. Let'$ $ee here you gotta buy premium fuel. A LOT of that will be u$ed if delivering pizza$ in the car. They already aren't known for great ga$ mileage. Oh, the mileage & wear i$ going to climb quick delivering pizza a$ well. You can't just replace one tire on our car$ if $omething happens or your getting uneven wear your gonna have to buy a whole $et. Every 30k mile$ (which i$ not a long long time, e$pecially delivering pizza.) You might a$ well plan on changing all your fluid$ (brake, coolant, rear diff, tran$, oil, air filter, and $park plug$.) The fuel filter alone i$ about $80 and you can plan on changing that every 60k. Climb up to 105k and you can $tart pricing a timing belt job (not cheap!). Pull that wallet out every time you need a clutch al$o cau$e chance$ are your gonna get raped. Cheap out on any fluid$ or material$ and it will get more expen$ive real quick. Then you will be replacing $ynchros or even a tran$mi$$ion in$tead of ju$t fluid. This example i$ ju$t on a $tock vehicle. $tart tuning and modifying one and your maintenance interval$ $hould be clo$er together and eventually part$ are going to break prematurely. Head ga$ket$ in our car$ aren't known for their longevity either. You will fall in the floor when you get a quote on that.

These are not your simple, easy to maintain, durable, gas sipping Hondas of the past. They are sophisticated high quality machines that require constant attention and upkeep.

#7 ·
I didn't catch all that with a bunch of what if's. Can u repeat that?
I would definately not use a car like this for delivering pizza. An old Honda would definately be more practical. I would not use my $37,000 Rex , that's for sure. Hell, someone would probably rob me of the REX and leave me standing there holding the pizza!!!:eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.