Subaru WRX Forum banner

Subaru vs Mazda

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  psinuse 
#1 ·
So I slept on the 2005 WRX that was sitting across town and it got bought 4 hours before I had set up an appointment to purchase it. I'm kicking myself for indecision, but now I have another decision to make.

2006 Mazda3 5sp manual
30k miles
$12k
Owned and being sold by a nice couple in their 40s - wife drove it and is selling it to get a Miata. I drove it today and it felt like new. She's got a folder the size of a Sears catalog with every oil change in it. I enjoyed the drive a lot.

2008 Impreza 5spd
40k miles
$12k
Owned by a 35yr old professor in a college town 3hrs away who is selling it to move overseas. Most of the miles are highway for 1k mile road trips to and from colleges, and he bikes to work most every day. He says it's the "fastest car I've ever owned" and from his tone and that statement I trust he hasn't driven it very hard.

I haven't driven it yet, but I really want the Impreza for the AWD - I love how they handle. I drove one at the dealership in automatic and it was awfully slow to accelerate, but I know it would have more kick with a 5spd. I know it's not a WRX, but it's still in the family and I'm wondering if any of you have thoughts/suggestions or any experience with the non-turbo Impreza in 5spd.

Thanks for the help!Laugh!

See less See more
#3 ·
I know, I felt the same way when I was testing WRXs. This one isn't a WRX - just he standard Impreza sedan - so I'm wondering if the handling will still be fun and if the acceleration will be on par with that Mazda3 I listed. The 3 is only a 2.0L engine so it's a far cry from the WRX :( but I was stupid in being so slow to make my decision so now I might have to settle for a simpler sedan... Unless anyone has an idea where I can get a good quality lightly driven WRX??? ;)

#5 ·
Well I personally do not like the looks of the new Mazdas at all. If your really looking for a WRX then buy a WRX. You will kick yourself even harder for not getting what you wanted to begin with...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.