stock wrx exhaust vs sti - Subaru WRX Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-08-2007, 09:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

HuanWRX is an unknown
stock wrx exhaust vs sti

Sorry to bother but what is difference between stock wrx exhaust system and the sti one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-08-2007, 11:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

joker97 is an unknown
ermm ... bigger and better? heh heh less restriction, sounds deeper and louder and most importantly i think it is catless? or fewer cats?
#3 Old 03-09-2007, 11:01 AM
WRXtuners Member

Z/WRX is an unknown
Actually not much difference. The downpipe is the same. It doesn't change until the axel back portion. The downpipe has two cats and is 2.5 inch diameter. The axel back on the STI is still 2.5 inch with a nice sounding muffler. The WRX goes to a 2.25 inch diameter with a really quiet muffler. So if you want to switch to the STI exhuast just get the axel back portion but even then you are only gaining .25 inch in diameter.

77 280z, 84 300zx, 06 WRX TR
#4 Old 03-09-2007, 12:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

shamrock is an unknown
HuanWRX I like the picture in you have WHOA. Everything about the sti is better. Best thing is the tranny

_Ryan_
2004 Wrb "BUGEYE"
http://www.misubie.com/
#5 Old 03-09-2007, 12:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

PowerHouse is an unknown
the axelback itself will yield 0 performance difference, just a different tone. the sti one has an extra resonator in the muffler which coincidently reduces hp gains by a very small margin. and considering the axelback only gives marginal gains, it makes no difference.

Psychologist Extraordinaire
#6 Old 03-11-2007, 06:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

HuanWRX is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerHouse View Post
the axelback itself will yield 0 performance difference, just a different tone. the sti one has an extra resonator in the muffler which coincidently reduces hp gains by a very small margin. and considering the axelback only gives marginal gains, it makes no difference.
Sorry but i got confused about losing power and then having only marginal gains. Would that mean that if i replace my wrx exhaust with an sti one, then i will lose power?
#7 Old 03-11-2007, 07:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRX-N-EFFEX is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuanWRX View Post
Sorry but i got confused about losing power and then having only marginal gains. Would that mean that if i replace my wrx exhaust with an sti one, then i will lose power?
Yup, you'll lose some but not much. Are you looking for a performance gain or just better sound?
#8 Old 03-12-2007, 03:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

HuanWRX is an unknown
Well if im going to lose power then screw that, id rather get a catback or tbe, thanks for the info.
#9 Old 08-25-2008, 03:20 AM
WRXtuners Member

Feelsonumb is an unknown
On the same topic, for a 05 WRX. Would an sti axle back exhaust reduce that slight loss in power with an upgraded down pipe? Or is the WRX axle back just as good, with an upgraded down pipe?

First post!!
#10 Old 08-25-2008, 09:26 AM
WRXtuners Member

tuner ready is an unknown
Catbacks are usually just for looks and sound
#11 Old 08-25-2008, 11:13 AM
WRXtuners Member

BugEyedAWD is on thin ice
Send a message via MSN to BugEyedAWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuner ready View Post
Catbacks are usually just for looks and sound
+1

however a WRX exhaust is so restrictive that you wont really notice a gain untill you replace DP, Uppipe, intake, and exhaust. If you just have a catback, go ahead and do your Downpipe. You should gain a little less than noticable HP gains.
#12 Old 08-25-2008, 11:20 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugEyedAWD View Post
+1

however a WRX exhaust is so restrictive that you wont really notice a gain untill you replace DP, Uppipe, intake, and exhaust. If you just have a catback, go ahead and do your Downpipe. You should gain a little less than noticable HP gains.
?

intake = no restriction
Catback = no restriction
Up pipe = no restriction
downpipe = huge restriction
(02-07 WRX/STi)

It's that simple. The downpipe is a major restriction. Just switching that out and NOTHING else gives noticeable gains. The rest of it does virtually nothing.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#13 Old 08-25-2008, 11:28 AM
WRXtuners Member

BugEyedAWD is on thin ice
Send a message via MSN to BugEyedAWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
?

intake = no restriction
Catback = no restriction
Up pipe = no restriction
downpipe = huge restriction
(02-07 WRX/STi)

It's that simple. The downpipe is a major restriction. Just switching that out and NOTHING else gives noticeable gains. The rest of it does virtually nothing.
pretty much... but when you're talking exhaust replacement, your really not talking about anything serious to begin with. Its like tuner ready said,
Quote:
catbacks are just for looks and sound.
i didnt mean to add a bunch of mumbo jumbo :P
#14 Old 08-25-2008, 01:25 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
I would consider the downpipe a serious gain

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#15 Old 08-25-2008, 01:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

awd4life is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feelsonumb View Post
On the same topic, for a 05 WRX. Would an sti axle back exhaust reduce that slight loss in power with an upgraded down pipe? Or is the WRX axle back just as good, with an upgraded down pipe?

First post!!
You should look into replacing the Up and Down pipes. The up has a cat that you dont really need. This is different starting in 06. The 06-07 Up pipe does not have a cat. If you replace the Down pipe, you will notice a big difference. Here, you can go catted, or catless, but the catless is usually considered "race only" and illegal for street use in many states. The STi axle back is basically just going to give you a sound and a different tip. You wont notice that much difference between the STi vs. the WRX axle back power wise. The bottle neck is the Up and more importantly the Down pipe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
?

intake = no restriction Should be good up to several hundred HP before you need to do any significant modification to the intake, You would need to look into this when you are looking at a new turbo, etc.
Catback = no restriction None that is noticable
Up pipe = no restriction This is where I have read different. I have read that the Up will give you quicker spool times, and thusly get you into the power band more quickly. Please correct me if I am wrong.
downpipe = huge restriction YES!!!
(02-07 WRX/STi)