Stock 2010 WRX Sedan - Looking for help - Subaru WRX Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 Old 01-25-2014, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Donon Haines is an unknown
Stock 2010 WRX Sedan - Looking for help

Hey guys, long time lurker first time poster. Recently I purchased a 2010 WRX Sedan, completely stock. I've been saving up and wanted to do some upgrades to my car. I have about 1000$ to spend, and I really don't know a lot about cars and such, so please use "newbie" terms.

Here is some facts that might help. I live in NE, so I see snow, salt and stupid fluctuations of weather. My car is a daily driver, I drive over 300 miles a week. I don't like how quite the stock exhaust is, but I don't want an exhaust that I can't talk to my gf if she's in the car, I want one that will make me smile and give me the performance boost.

If this community could provide me with some insight as to what I should spend the money on first, I would greatly appreciate it. I live in CT, so it also can't be anything illegal.

Sorry for posting the generic "Spend my money" thread, but I just am a researcher and I find it hard to pull the trigger on something unless it's a stellar deal.

Thanks again!

I forgot to mention, I have a place near me that will do all the upgrades I purchase for me; they specialize in Subaru's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 01-26-2014, 12:04 AM
WRXtuners Member

Brockton is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Sounds like you want a cat back exhaust. I recommend the magnaflow for your needs, they are under $1000, they aren't obnoxiously loud, they will give you a good low growl when your are in lower RPM, it will let you hear the classic "subaru rumble".

Or you could get a down pipe and a Cobb Access Port (Awesome to have, tons of features, really comes in handy) and go with Cobb's stage 2 tune, your car would still be quiet but it will be noticeably faster and more responsive. There's also the option of getting the downpipe and a Tactrix cable, download some software on your laptop and you can get an open source tune like I have from Torqued Performance and use your laptop and the tactrix cable to put the tune on the car yourself, its cheaper than getting an AP, but take a little more know how, and isn't as convenient as having a AP. Or you can get the exhaust now and go Stage 2 later. Personally, an exhaust was one of my first mods, one of the reasons I got a subaru was because of how sexy the exhausts sound.

I recommend getting some polyurethane shift bushings as well, kartboy and cobb make them, the WRX's have sloppy shifters, it really improves the the shifter feel and is a relatively cheap mod and a great first mod.

Some things you don't want to do but a lot of people do: Put a blow off valve on it without a speed density set up or a blow through set up, put a intake on it without a tune for that intake, and don't put power steering fluid in it (only Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF), dexron III is what subaru calls for, I thought it was weird to put ATF in the power steering, but I guess several manufacturers do it)
post #3 of 36 Old 01-26-2014, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockton View Post
Sounds like you want a cat back exhaust. I recommend the magnaflow for your needs, they are under $1000, they aren't obnoxiously loud, they will give you a good low growl when your are in lower RPM, it will let you hear the classic "subaru rumble".

Or you could get a down pipe and a Cobb Access Port (Awesome to have, tons of features, really comes in handy) and go with Cobb's stage 2 tune, your car would still be quite but it will be noticeably faster and more responsive. Theres also the option of getting the downpipe and a Tactrix cable, download some software on your laptop and you can get an opensource tune like I have from Torqued Performance, its cheaper than getting an AP, but take a little more know how, and isn't as convenient as having a AP. Or you can get the exhaust now and go Stage 2 later. Personally, an exhaust was one of my first mods, one of the reasons I got a subaru was because of how sexy the exhausts sound.

I recommend getting some polyurethane shift bushings as well, kartboy and cobb make them, the WRX's have sloppy shifters, it really improves the the shifter feel and is a relatively cheap mod and a great first mod.
Thank you for the quick response!

For the shifter... something like this?
https://www.rallysportdirect.com/sho...cart_view.cfm?

Also, is the downpipe a whole new exhaust? Or just a small medal pipe that goes with the current stock exhaust? I was looking at this:

Amazon.com: Invidia (HS11STIGTT) N1 Twin Outlet Single Layer Cat-Back Exhaust System with Titanium Tip for Subaru WRX STI 4-Door: Automotive Amazon.com: Invidia (HS11STIGTT) N1 Twin Outlet Single Layer Cat-Back Exhaust System with Titanium Tip for Subaru WRX STI 4-Door: Automotive

For an exhaust, but I am unsure as to if that will actually be worthwhile to get.
post #4 of 36 Old 01-26-2014, 12:15 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
The Downpipe starts at your turbo and goes down to the cat back section of the exhaust, its the pipe that has your O2 sensors and catalytic converter

Looks like this: That is an aftermarket 3" diameter downpipe, the stock one is smaller and uglier, to go Stage 2 you need a 3 inch one.

The invidia you linked to is the catback exhaust, it connects up to the downpipe. The invidia's are pretty loud, I suggest watching some youtube videos with a good pair of headphones to compare different exhausts.

For the Shift bushings, the link wasn't working, here's the ones I recommend:

Kartboy Shifter Bushing Combo Subaru 5MT (inc. 2002-2014 WRX) KB-003-5COMB at RallySportDirect.com
post #5 of 36 Old 01-26-2014, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockton View Post
The Downpipe starts at your turbo and goes down to the cat back section of the exhaust, its the pipe that has your O2 sensors and catalytic converter

Looks like this: That is an aftermarket 3" diameter downpipe, the stock one is smaller and uglier, to go Stage 2 you need a 3 inch one.

The invidia you linked to is the catback exhaust, it connects up to the downpipe. The invidia's are pretty loud, I suggest watching some youtube videos with a good pair of headphones to compare different exhausts.

For the Shift bushings, the link wasn't working, here's the ones I recommend:

Kartboy Shifter Bushing Combo Subaru 5MT (inc. 2002-2014 WRX) KB-003-5COMB at RallySportDirect.com
Sorry, I linked you to a cart instead. Here is the original
Kartboy Short Shifter and Bushing Combo Subaru Models (inc. 2008-2014 WRX / 2005-2009 Legacy GT) KB-002-LEG-WRX08 at RallySportDirect.com

Also, the downpipe, what's the reason to just replacing that instead of the whole exhaust? I'll still get the performance boost and nice sound I want with just replacing that one pipe? Could you recommend me one for my car?
post #6 of 36 Old 01-26-2014, 12:33 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Well, unless you are going to go stage 2, the downpipe isn't neccessary. Stage two ups the boost and requires the 3"inch downpipe, with a cobb AP (necessary to put the stage 2 tune on the car, unless you go the open source route, which like I said, isn't newbie friendly).

You are going to get performance with stage 2, the car will pull a lot harder, but without going stage 2, the downpipe is not worth it. But a downpipe and a AP is going to put you close to the 1k spending limit, and you won't get the aggressive exhaust sound like a cat back exhaust.

You could just get the cat back exhaust and some smaller mods, the kartboy combo pack you put is great, it has both the bushings and their short throw shifter, it will make shifting feel great, like a sports car should feel like. This option would make shifting even more fun, and give you that great subaru sound. And as you learn more you can look into stage 2. You really should be more savvy before going to stage 2.

Also the cat back exhaust and the shifter and bushings are all pretty easy to install, they require only simple hand tools, and there are plenty of video how-to's and do it yourself write ups on the web to go off of.
post #7 of 36 Old 01-26-2014, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Alright, thank for the great advice.

I am looking at doing stage 2, but that would be the peak for what I do to my car. The next steps would become aesthetics. So to stage 2, I need a 3 inch DP and the cobb AP. The AP is 600$, v3, and the AP, what would you recommend for brands? Also would it be terrible to buy both at separate times? Or both at the same time.

In the meantime, while I continue my research, I will be ordering that combo kartboy pack.
post #8 of 36 Old 01-26-2014, 12:59 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
You can always buy the AP first and go stage one, it will improve throttle response and give you a little more boost. Then when you get the down pipe (DP) later you can download the stage 2 map off cobb's website and put it on the AP. You can also get used cobb AP's on NASIOC for $350-$450 for the version 2's, just make sure they are unmarried. (Sub-003 is the one for your year)

A note about AP's, when you get one, and hook it up to your car, you have to put a tune off of the AP onto your car, it walks you through how to do it, its very simple. Once the tune is on your car, the AP is married. A married AP cannot be used on another car! To use it on another car you need to hook it up to the car it is married to, and uninstall the tune, this will put the tune that you had before the AP back onto your car and allow the AP to be used with another car. Because of this it is very important that you verify that the AP has been unmarried if you are buying it used.

Getting the DP without the AP won't do you a whole lot of good, the gains would be minimal by itself, as the exhaust is super restrictive at the stock mufflers. The AP's also have data logging (recording various car sensors, useful if something is wrong with your car and you need to track it down), it will show you what codes your are getting if you have a check engine light, it has the ability to put launch control on (when launching the car you hold the gas all the way down and it hold the RPMs at a set number that you can control, lets you launch consistently), it can be used as a shift warning light, so you don't accidentally bang the rev limiter. Theres all kinds of useful stuff that AP's do, its a great thing to have, but you can survive without it.
BLAZE2099 likes this.
post #9 of 36 Old 01-26-2014, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Is the v3 worth getting over the v2? Or I won't really notice a difference.
post #10 of 36 Old 01-26-2014, 01:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
The V3 looks better, has a brighter and higher quality screen, and allows you to monitor I think 3 or 5 different car sensors at once, the V2 only allows you to monitor 1 at a time, and the screen is smaller, not as good of picture quality, but I always had mine stored in my glove box, I didn't like mounting it to the dash and having it plugged in to the OBDII all the time, so the V2 was perfect for me. If you want to mount it and use it as a shift light or boost guage, or w/e then the V3 would be a better option.
post #11 of 36 Old 01-26-2014, 03:54 PM
Premium Member

boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
You can monitor 6 parameters at once and it also has a off button
Brockton likes this.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
post #12 of 36 Old 01-26-2014, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Thank you for all your responses. I ordered the kartboy combo last night. I will be ordering the V3 AP come tax return and currently I am looking at this for my DP:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tsudo-catles...ea9be1&vxp=mtr

I don't want to spend 500+ on a DP, and like I was stating before, as long as I get a better rumble than stock, and I hear my turbo better, the 200$ is well worth it, if that also manages to boost performance (I'm sure just adding the V3 will be enough for me), then I will be a happy camper. I would want to make sure I get the AP, DP and Short Shifter installed at the same time to tune properly. Does that Tsudo DP seem alright to you guys? Do I need to purchase anything with it?
post #13 of 36 Old 01-26-2014, 05:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Do you have a visual inspection in your state or smog?

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
post #14 of 36 Old 01-26-2014, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

I live in CT, I need to research that. I'm sure I know a couple friends who do emissions I can throw a 20 at who will pass me.
post #15 of 36 Old 01-26-2014, 05:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
I doubt you have smog then...but, your friends might be able to get you past the visual if you have that up there.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae