stock 05 wrx. looking biggest hp bang for the least amount of money to started - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-27-2012, 10:53 AM
WRXtuners Member

swartzsubaru is an unknown
stock 05 wrx. looking biggest hp bang for the least amount of money to started

New to modding under the hood of any kind. Want to know the best places to start getting a decent balance between lower price options and best results. I know, you get what you pay for. I mean lower end cost mods that will boost HP and performance strictly under the hood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-27-2012, 11:17 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
If your car is completely stock, the best bang for your buck when it comes to increasing power is an aftermarket downpipe with some type of "Stage 2" ecu reflash. There are a number of ways to do that, so search here: Unabomber's Manifesto - NASIOC

It's debatable whether or not you need to upgrade your cat back at this point, but it's usually a good idea while you're there. Cat backs are mostly for looks and sound, but some gains can be had by upgrading to a larger, better flowing exhaust. Finally, you'll want to upgrade your stock up pipe to a catless version since the up pipes in 02-05 WRXs come with catalytic converters which tend to wear out and break down over time, sending bits of metal into your turbo and engine, causing potentially catastrophic failure. There's a little power to be gained in terms of a quicker spooling turbo, but it's mostly a safety mod.

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#3 Old 11-27-2012, 12:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

Awesome link and ideas. Thanks
#4 Old 11-27-2012, 05:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Tires...

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#5 Old 11-28-2012, 05:49 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Rear sway and rear endlinks.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#6 Old 11-28-2012, 03:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

I have direzza star spec street tires on enkie edr9 18s and Hakka r snow tires on the stock 16s. Both do a phenomonal job. But I asked about power.
#7 Old 11-28-2012, 04:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzsubaru View Post
I have direzza star spec street tires on enkie edr9 18s and Hakka r snow tires on the stock 16s. Both do a phenomonal job. But I asked about power.
Well I was simply suggesting getting better tires before bumping up power levels. Get a tune and full turbo back exhaust.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...