Stage 2 tuning 09 wrx - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 05-17-2012, 12:08 AM
WRXtuners Member

tweak is an unknown
Stage 2 tuning 09 wrx

I just installed an aem intake and an invidia catless downpipe with a q300cat back on my 09 wrx. I am looking into my options for getting a tune (either pro or cobb ap). Will the ap fix the boost creep completely or would a pro tune be better? My friend has suggested about just getting a bigger wastegate and a tune. I do plan on doing more mods later on. I am just curious what my best options are and what other peoples experiences are with this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-17-2012, 12:36 AM
WRXtuners Member

tweak is an unknown
How reliable is the open source stage 2 map from xpt tunning?
#3 Old 05-17-2012, 01:07 AM
WRXtuners Member

undrbst is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweak View Post
I just installed an aem intake and an invidia catless downpipe with a q300cat back on my 09 wrx. I am looking into my options for getting a tune (either pro or cobb ap). Will the ap fix the boost creep completely or would a pro tune be better? My friend has suggested about just getting a bigger wastegate and a tune. I do plan on doing more mods later on. I am just curious what my best options are and what other peoples experiences are with this.
So you're running those mods without an AP or tune?.....WOW! Hope you aren't beating on the car. Might as well go with the tune since you have the mods to support it but you need something ASAP. I'm running stage 1 on the AP with no boost creep. Hope to go stg 2 next month and will continue to use the AP for about 2-3 mos before I get a protune. I highly recommend reading thru the threads before slapping parts on your ride.

Engine + mods - AP/Protune = fail
#4 Old 05-17-2012, 01:14 AM
WRXtuners Member

tweak is an unknown
since the mod, i have done my research. Definitely a noob mistake. im not drivign the car anymore until a tune is done. Is the ap worth the extra money over tactrix and the cable? is a new waste gate worth it with a protune?
#5 Old 05-17-2012, 01:52 AM
WRXtuners Member

undrbst is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweak View Post
since the mod, i have done my research. Definitely a noob mistake. im not drivign the car anymore until a tune is done. Is the ap worth the extra money over tactrix and the cable? is a new waste gate worth it with a protune?
I've read a Protune or tactrix w/ cable are cheaper than the AP. I went with the AP because I knew it was going to be awhile before I upgraded to stage 2. Although I really enjoy having the AP I will eventually get a Protune shortly after I go stg 2. A buddy of mine who has an 11 STI hatch has both. He just uses the AP every now and then to make sure the car is running right. For me the AP was a good investment.

BTW the stock wastegate should be fine unless you're going big. Might want to consider the Grimmspeed EBC though.
#6 Old 05-20-2012, 10:03 AM
WRXtuners Member

AllExtinct is known to be trustworthy and helpful AllExtinct is known to be trustworthy and helpful
GS EBC needs a pro-tune so unless you def. on planning getting that I wouldn't get the EBC.

AP is good to a certain extent, OS is good from what I heard but you have to know what your doing.
I def. wouldnt drive that car again till you get some kind of EM unless you paln on going back to stock.
I would also remove that Intake and go back to stock, alot of people had problems with intakes unless tuned for it.
If your looking for a long distant tune go with OS if your looking for a quick and limited tune go with AP.

I went with AP since I don't plan on doing any more mods for a while and changing maps are so easy a caveman can do it!

GL Man.

Cobb Accessport Stage 2.
JDM ej205 swap.

Hakuna Matata.

Chuck.
#7 Old 05-20-2012, 04:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

joshbm1 is an unknown
That is a dangerous situation without a stage 2 map or protune. I would suggest a pro tune. ASAP
#8 Old 05-20-2012, 05:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

tweak is an unknown
i am considering an E tune through ia performance. they offer a cobb ap for 595 plus an e tune for an extra 20$.

AccessPORT, access, port, flash, ecu, chip, programmer, tuner