Is stage 1 worth it? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 07-07-2007, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Z/WRX is an unknown
Is stage 1 worth it?

I've had my 06 TR now for a year and I'm looking for more power. I've tried getting into an STI rather than modding but I only have one local suby dealer and due to that they have no competition to drive making a good deal. Thing is if I stay with my WRX I'll only keep the car for another 2 years at which point I'll trade in for the Nissan GTR since I will have finished med school by then and passed my boards. So for now I would like to get a bit more power out of my Suby so I'm considering the Cobb AP for stage 1. Is there a noticable power difference. I looked at the dyno results on thier website and peak power isn't improved much but I noticed in the lower rpms it does seem significant. Just wondering from those that did stage 1 on thier 06-07 what the difference was. I know it's also supposed to smooth out the acceleration which can get choppy which sounds nice cause it's a little annoying sometimes. I might do stage 2 later but assuming I don't would stage 1 be worth the 700 bucks they want for the AP? Should I just be patient and leave the car as is since I plan to trade it later in 2 years? I'm hesitant to do mods since I went mod crazy on my two Z's. I said I wouldn't do mods when I got my WRX but within a few months I got a cat-back exhuast and k&n drop in filter. Now I'm wanting the AP and a few suspension mods. Damn cars are addictive

77 280z, 84 300zx, 06 WRX TR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 07-07-2007, 05:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

Black Night is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Black Night
you will notice a difference with stage 1...not lightning speed or anything but you deff feel the car pull harder...at which point all you need is a downpipe for stage 2, and thats when the power gets serious...imo, yes it is worth it, for about 850 you can have a 13 second car
post #3 of 27 Old 07-07-2007, 06:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

rgprestige15 is an unknown
IMHO if you are gonna go with stage 1 and be done with it...that is not worth a 700 dollar plus AP. If you plan on modding beyond stage 1, then the ap works its real magic

two sexy asses
post #4 of 27 Old 07-07-2007, 10:41 PM
WRXpert

LiL Shoaf is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to LiL Shoaf Send a message via Yahoo to LiL Shoaf
Simply upgrading your ECU is actually a good start.. There is a lot of power left in the stock tuning and in the Off the shelf maps that come with the AP.. Grap an AP and get a ProTune by a Professional (researched and reliable one) tuner and you WILL notice a big difference.. Nice power gains as well.

Remember that Peak numbers mean little to NOTHING... How often are you are say 5,500 rpms when you hit peak power?? How often are you at say 3,000 rpms?? More often right, well, with a good tune you can pull more power to the lower and mid range areas where you will use and need it more.. This is what makes the car "Feel" faster.. With more power in the mid and low rpm range the car will accelerate faster and be faster all the way around even at the same "Peak Power" numbers..

02 WRX.. "It's fun when it runs.. Problem is that it hardly ever does..."
post #5 of 27 Old 07-07-2007, 10:50 PM
WRXpert

LiL Shoaf is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to LiL Shoaf Send a message via Yahoo to LiL Shoaf
Just found this..

http://reviews.hspn.com/articles/112...STi/Page1.html

02 WRX.. "It's fun when it runs.. Problem is that it hardly ever does..."
post #6 of 27 Old 07-08-2007, 08:44 AM
WRXtuners Member

Speedogomer is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Speedogomer
I'd say stage 1 is worth it. It makes the car less peaky, and gives a little more of the bottom end. Once you're bored with Stage 1, then grab a DP for a little extra juice.

-Justin, aka Gomer
(sold)-05 WRX
(new)-04 Cadillac CTS-V
post #7 of 27 Old 07-13-2007, 06:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

dmitri is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z/WRX View Post
Thing is if I stay with my WRX I'll only keep the car for another 2 years at which point I'll trade in for the Nissan GTR since I will have finished med school by then and passed my boards.
Maybe you should stick with the WRX longer.. My friend got her Doctorate after $125,000 in tuition loans. :eek:
post #8 of 27 Old 07-13-2007, 07:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

Strider327 is on thin ice
Stage 2!!! There shouldn't even be a debate! Or at least EM, downpipe, stock catback if your on a budget.
post #9 of 27 Old 07-13-2007, 09:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

koolpaul1082 is an unknown
well you said yourself you've modded heavy in the past why dont' you go for the tactrix cable & map approx. $125, megan racing tbe $550. your looking at $700 at that point then of course a tune would be highly recommended ($300-400 approx.) so i would say a $1000 or so and you would have a one hell of a car! another 60-80 hp and well over 100 addtional trq what a steal!
post #10 of 27 Old 07-14-2007, 01:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

chevarian113 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to chevarian113
Go Tactrix man. Get a stage 1 map and voila.. I haven't done it yet, but will be soon. I'm over the choppy accel. I don't experience it much up in Denver, but when I go to sea level, it gets worse.
post #11 of 27 Old 07-14-2007, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Z/WRX is an unknown
I've looked into the tactrix cable and just like the simplness of the AP. I've read stuff about opensource and others and just don't seem to understand them as easily as the AP. I know they aren't hard to use and if this was 2 years ago I probably would as I would emerse myself in mods but at this point I just want something that I can plug in and go. As for others mentioning stage 2 and other things I'm trying to not go too modded for two reasons: warrenty and trade in value. I'd rather not mess with the warrenty too much which is why I'm only considering stage 1. The other reason is when I was looking into trading in for a STI or 350z or Vette, all three dealerships first questions were how modded my car was. They told me they see these cars come in all the time modified and they have to give a lower trade in value due to it. One subaru dealer even told me over an email before I had a chance to tell them it was stock that there would be a 3k difference in trade in value if it had any mods vs. stock. So I really don't want to go too far in mods only to lose out later or have to worry about reverting to stock later. The AP is easy to revert to stock and I can do it myself. If I get a DP I have to worry about warrenty issues and later on about it messing with my trade in value.

As for the comment about sticking with my WRX longer even after school, I can't. I need more power and the GT-R has been my dream car since 2000 when they first started tossing the idea around of making one. Not to mention my girlfriend has an 06 Vette and after driving that my Suby just feels slow. Besides, I've been busting my ass in school for basically 25 years with no break. When I finish I think I will have earned myself my GT-R.

Basically I just wanted to hear from other 06-07 owners who went stage 1 what the car felt like. I've searched and all I ever find are reports from 02-05 owners or just that the power band is smoother.

77 280z, 84 300zx, 06 WRX TR
post #12 of 27 Old 07-14-2007, 03:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

xmoniewrx is an unknown
worth every penny x2 on the tactrix you will save money for a well worth it mod
post #13 of 27 Old 07-15-2007, 11:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

FlimFlamMan is an unknown
Stage 1 is well worth it, in my opinion.

Here is what I have done so far.

Tactrix cable - $80
Gabedudes stage 1 map (version R29) - FREE!

It is really super easy to flash your ECU, and the folks over at osecurom are pleasant to work with. Just take your time and follow the instructions to a tee.

Log with Enginuity software from time to time to make sure everything looks okay. Trust me... it is not as overwhelming as it appears. Learning to tune is overwhelming, imo. :eek:

Gabes maps are pretty conservative so you do not need to be to concerned about bombing your engine. Just keep an eye on things by logging!

I love how stage 1 has improved my "around the town" driving. The turbo spools a little quicker and the power band is smoothed out nicely. It is a noticeable difference. Just not huge like going stage 2 would be.

Then I recently got a used Prodrive axleback for $200. I love the deep mellow rumble it provides. Badabing badabang.. for $280 my WRX sounds awesome and has a little more pep than stock.

Then I tossed in a used COBB short shifter (generation 1 for $50) and installed Kartboy front and rear bushings ($60).

I'm lovin' my WRX even more now. And I am not concerned with the warranty. I can flash back to the stock map in 15 minutes and put all of the other stock stuff back on in about an hour.
post #14 of 27 Old 07-16-2007, 12:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

wrxgtr is more helpful than not
Send a message via Yahoo to wrxgtr
absolutely stage 1 is worth it. the cars powerband will smooth out( you will get a little more power) and so will everything else is a great start on a bada$$ car. with the opensource stuff read the two stickies in the enginemanagement forum and that will guide you through it

MIKE
TUNED BY 555 MOTORSPORTS
visit me @ www.myspace.com/subienews
post #15 of 27 Old 07-16-2007, 02:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXLTD is an unknown
I think my Cobb AP v.2.0 Stage 1 was worth every penny ($795 with free dyno time buying it through KTR in Ayer, MA). With my simple bolt-ons (AEM CAI, Perrin intercooler hose kit, Samco turbo inlet, Perrin lightened crank pully, SPT cat-back exhaust), I gained 19 rwhp and 46 ft-lb...all around 1800 rpms sooner:

Kartboy and Perrin and Cobb...Oh My!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement