Subaru WRX Forum banner

stage 1 or stage 2

6K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  GSMNZ 
#1 · (Edited)
I am trying to figure out how to determine weather or not you have a stage 1 or 2 set up when I bought my car from my mechanic all the work was already done this is what the motor has as of now

Accessport V2 tuned at a stage 2 91 oct
Skunk 3in turbo back exhaust
Perrin 3in Down Pipe
K&N Typhoon Cold air intake
Delfi Boost Gauge

#4 ·
A Stage 2 tune is more reliable and trouble free.

I've been exploring Stage 3 for a while now and it's at least a turbo, fuel system upgrade, TMIC and protune, which even with a used TMIC is $2,000.

#6 ·
This is the stage 3 requirements for an 06-07 from the Cobb site

Hardware Requirements: Otherwise stock vehicle with the following modifications*:
 Turbocharger: IHI VF39 (from 2004 - 2006 STi)
 Intercooler: 2004 - 2007 STi top-mount intercooler or equivalent
 Fuel Injectors: Stock fuel injectors
 Intake requirements: Stock airbox or COBB Tuning SF Intake
 Exhaust requirements: Upgraded turbo-back exhaust
 Restrictor pill requirement: 0.043” restrictor pill.

So you can do that in your price range. And afford an Protune which will actually unlock more power because it will be special tune to your car

#7 · (Edited)
@ominouscrab236, just curious what other mods have been done to the car?

I ask because a stage 2 tune puts the car in a great place power wise but there are a handful of other places you could put 1500 and get great returns without compromising the reliability of the car.

If you want more power I would grab a more efficient top mount intercooler, One with a larger core. In Texas you deal with some heat and humidity and keeping the charged air cool is tough. Again based on your local climate I would go get a pro-tune. They can tune for the increased air density due to humidity and you will most likley make more power than the OTS map and it will also be marginally safer than cobbs stage 2 tune because its specific to your car.

My personal recommendation would be to make the car turn, stop and shift better if you have some play money to drop on it.

For my money I really like the following mods
Anti-sway bars ( a personal favorite, makes corners way more fun )
Short shift kit w/ bushings ( makes driving and shifting more enjoyable )
SS brake lines and performance fluid ( better pedal feel )
master cylinder brace ( if applicable makes the brakes feel amazing )

Finally If you have some spare cash a good set of performance summer tires would be a nice way to burn some cash.

hope that helps

** EDIT ** Im sorry I didn't realize you had essentially the same post in 2 spots.

#9 ·
I am unsure of how the stages add up for the 2.5 guys. Cobb states around 357 HP (+55%) / 329 TQ (+40%) but that is at the crank not at the wheels. That is with there OTS map. If you protune it you will see an increase from that as well and it will be special to your car. Your car and you will be happier with the results

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.