stage 1 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 12-15-2012, 09:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

thekamikaze kid is more helpful than not
stage 1

just wondering how to flash to stage 1 without buying a 600 dollar tuner. im guessing subaru does not do this. do regular mechanics do this, or do i have to find a special dyno tune guy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-16-2012, 07:36 AM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Try starting here.
Opensource Read Up..
If you have anymore questions please feel free to ask away.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#3 Old 12-16-2012, 08:30 AM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
+1
Cable, laptop, time and education.

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#4 Old 12-16-2012, 04:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

Not sure if I'm ready to do this myself, do regular shops do this at all? it seams complicated and I wouldn't want to f things up.
#5 Old 12-16-2012, 05:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Find an opensource tuner in your area and make an appointment.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#6 Old 12-16-2012, 09:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

Ok I looked stuff over and I think I might be able to do this, my only question is how can I get good trusted maps for my 03 wrx. I just want a simple stage 1 tune, and not over tax anything or push it too far. On the site u gave I actually didn't see any stage one maps for my car. Another reason I'm. Thinking of doing this is that I'm not sure that my car is tuned for the Perrin Sri and hks bov I have when I bought the car. I'm also putting on a borla cat back soon. Just wondering if u guys have any advice as far as doing this, also is this a smart decision? Thanks for all the help thus far.
#7 Old 12-17-2012, 02:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Do you have any mods at all? I have 100's of maps if you need one.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#8 Old 12-17-2012, 03:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

Yah I'm inthe fence about doing it myself, fer now I'm looking up places and prices to do it professionally. But if that falls through ill try doin it. Myself the computer aspect is easy for me it's the mech part that scares me a little. as far as mods goes I have a Perrin Sri and hks bov that are installed currently, I will have a cat back exhaust put on shortly. I'm not sure if the Sri and bov were tuned. I just want everything to be in good working order with a little extra hp. If I need maps later ill let u a guys know! U guys have been a great help.
#9 Old 12-17-2012, 04:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

Dump the BOV and put the stock one back on. Realistically you can't tune for it with your current set up. There are a bunch of people located in NY that do tunes, finding one should be easy.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#10 Old 12-17-2012, 05:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

ok, so flashing to stage 1 is a bad idea with the setup i have unless done by a professional correct? oh and btw i dont have the stock bpv i bought it with the bov. so that would just be extra money that i dont have lol.
#11 Old 12-17-2012, 06:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

Even a pro will tell you to put the stocker back on. You can get them cheap off Ebay, but that is your call. I learned to do this back when this software was still in Alpha testing and it's pretty easy. As far as the mech. aspects of it, you can find video guides all over youtube and the net. Stg.1 is basically just a reflash, nothing more to it than that.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#12 Old 12-17-2012, 08:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

ok so then with my set up the way it is i could flash to stage one with out any problems? also if i use OS tuning methods do i need a specific "map"? I just want to make sure because i dont want to f up my car!
#13 Old 12-17-2012, 08:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

Other than the BOV I have a map that will work with your car. I tune for safety not all out power. You won't notice a huge difference in power it's more of a smoothing out of the power band.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#14 Old 12-17-2012, 09:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

that is actually good, i have a lot of hills/mountains where i live the main thing i wanted was a little more power in the lower rpms to get up the those hills. this car is my dd and i want it to last. if i buy all this stuff and reflash myself i just want to make sure im not going to screw up what i have goin ya know. but a little extra hp aint gonna hurt if u know what i mean so to do this myself basically all i need is the taxtrix cord, the block, and the program, correct?
#15 Old 12-17-2012, 09:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

Yeah the cable is the most expensive, but you can get it with the block as well. The software is all free and there are a videos telling you how to do a reflash. I will give fair warning as with any type of modification there is a risk. As I said I have been messing around with this stuff for a long time and tuned several cars including my own. Only one blew up and that was mine because I was an idiot and didn't pay attention. Your car will be fine.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...