Subaru WRX Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

srt-4 vs wrx stock

67K views 232 replies 59 participants last post by  Sheperd 
#1 ·
to all of you stock wrx owners watch out for the neon srt-4's, these things are rated at 215 hp but they will wax your ass if you take them lightly, ask me i almost got embarassed in front of my girl last night because of these steroid driven beast

#179 ·
i havent seen but the one drag car... if theres any more then i must be going blind or thier not anything worth noticing, i usually keep up on as much as possible but i guess the Perfect 10 and playboys could be gettin in the way nowadays :rolleyes: but ive seriously only seen the one drag car and i rarely hear or see anything on it. hell i knew about it since it started.
i only see dragracing as a way of settling quickness and muscle car wars. the all out drag cars rarely interest me. i rather see a 14sec stang instead of 6 second solara. sport compacts have showed alot more than a straight line to me, ex: Focus- rally racing,roush,SVT, and then its an econ. family car ... if there are more neons/SRT4's for racing then let me know, in all seriousness, i truly like to see any car performing outside of the typical.

thats why i say the neon hasnt got a racing heritage, not even known for what little i have seen.

#180 ·
WHOA!!! there is alot, jebus krist. man... my bad all! been nice to know that before i was a jackass about them... older basics are still slow :lol:

btw, the style of the SRT4 engine strength matches the old /6 chrysler like i said. the old slants from i think 67?-75 had forge'd cranks and strong rods with the big stroke. crappy 3.4in bore... sadly my volare is the weaker year of 78, yet its survive my highway beatin of 120+mph runs. id like to see someone go 800k plus miles in the srt4 if they dont blow'em and wear them out racing and whatnot.

#181 · (Edited)
Neon owner

Stock srt-4's top out at about 155mph on average but they can hit 160 with just a few power mods. The engine and car is quite capable of handling it without any other modifications besides the power needed to push all the air out of the way. The top speed of this car has been tested on the autobahn by satellite tracking and numerous videos have been taken of the car going 155 + mph. Here is a link to a movie of the car going 158 mph completely stock. Note: the speedo has a 5 mph degree of error at such high speeds so it could be faster or slower depending on conditions. http://www.srtforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112729.

There are also plenty of people who race their car all the time and use it as a daily driver. There are people who have had no problems with plenty of time slips to their name, however I will give you a link to someone who has had a problem. This is srtgurls website. She is one of the many srt-4 owners who slapped on a bigger turbo to their car. After about 196 or so time slips she modified her car with bigger turbo and other mods and when she dynoed it the Intercooler pipe blew off and took the slave cylinder with it. That could have been due to improper tuning, however this is a quote direct from her website "With over 196 time slips so far to my credit at the track, reliability has proven not to be an issue with this car. Plus, in this time I have over 51k miles on the car and there have been no problems with it at all." The problem was not caused because the engine is incapable of handling the power either, as their are many people with stock engines holding more power than that w/o problems. http://www.srtgurl.com/my_SRT-4.htm.

I just went back to page one where you (hipo_wrx) said: :eek:

"ive known this, i was gonna buy one but ive always wanted a wrx to go with my muscle and granny mobiles. i dont like how easy it is to shift them plus ialways end up dropping the clutch in the easy to shift cars . they release half way down but i like to hit the floor like a real performance machine should. plus u know they have a down into dual cats with no mufflers. i do alot of research on cars. plus u can always say you're almost as fast, go more places, and get more gas mileage. they only average like 14mpg in all the test on that. 13.97 is thier record stock e.t. in class racing . thats what my down/up/header/and exhaust are gonna take are of in the end. go for torque instead of horse and ull be like them . the srt 4 makes like 245-250 torque, also the 04 model has 230 horse. dont like it then build!"

Some of your research must have went wrong heh, I can assure you that the srt-4 gets between 22-30 mpg. I have never gotten less than 22mpg and have gotten up to 32mpg. Also the srt-4 does not have dual cats. It has a single cat located somewhere before the exhaust pipes split. The only logical reason the srt-4 would need dual cats is if it had true dual exhaust meaning it would be twin turbo charged. :p

As far as information on the srt-4 engine goes here is a link by scc about the srt-4 engine. I don't know if this backs up your info or refutes it because I don't know much about engines but here you go. http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/projectcars/0310scc_projneon/index.html.

I'm not here to brag about what the srt-4 can do or how reliable it is I'm just bored heh. These are things that are true and have actually taken place. Not just a statement that holds no factual basis to it about how one car is better than another. !Thumbs Up

#182 ·
the truth

Here it is str8 and simple a stock SRT-4 Beats a stock WRX off the line, that I know. Notice how I said stock. With that said the WRX has WAY more tunning potential than an SRT-4 simply because it has a better engine... This is how I see it, Subaru put a bunch of crap on the WRX so they could sell more STis for those lazy people. Why else would you have 3 cats (including the redundant "pre-cat") and one of the worst D/P formats EVER (lol). It's a friggin CONSPIRACY. But seriously.... it's still a NEON people. I'm not a hata I just crush alot LOL :D

#184 ·
Ive noticed a few people mentioned lack of tunability for the srt, but i dont think thats quite the case.

Psi-fi motorsports is currently building an all out drag car, which they hope will put down around 800 hp and 1000 tq, and running 8 second 1/4 mile times. They have built every aspect of the motor, switched to an auto tranny, fabbed an intake using the 2 "nostrils" on the front, relocated the turbo to where the stock airbox was located. Tuning will be done by the legendary Darrel Cox.

more info and pics here:
http://www.srtforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100065&page=5&pp=15

#185 ·
Well Cosmo, I guess i'll start calling you Captain Clutch lol j/k. Of course the WRX accelertaes alot faster but that SRT catches up quick. And as for the SRTs tunnability, if you got the money you could do w/e you want to an engine. It comes down to less money more performance, and the bragging rights go to the WRX. More bang for your buck including aftermarket performance wise. Thats my view...

#186 · (Edited)
Neon owner

Anyone that knows what a wrx and an srt-4 stock are capable of with competent drivers knows that a wrx is going to beat an srt-4 off the line. The question is how long is it going to stay in front of the srt-4 because the srt-4 will catch up if it is stock for stock. The thing is everyone isn't as great a driver as they would like to be or maybe their cars aren't in perfect condition, either way the results will vary.

Hmm I would say the srt is one of the easiest/cheapest cars to modify/tune. When this car came out it won car of the year from SCC for being the fastest car under $20,000. This car has only been out for 2 years and it already has loads of aftermarket companies making aftermarket parts for it. Everyone knows that Mopar offers the staged 1,2, and 3 upgrades for about 800, 1200, and 3000 respectively but there are plenty of bigger turbos that can and have been put on our cars along with exhaust systems, clutch's, suspension's, bored throttle bodies and manifolds, intercoolers, WGA's, fuel systems, carbon fiber frames, water injection systems, and various other parts/toys/visual modifications. All made from more aftermarket companies than you can shake a stick at such as agp, bdj, carbon by design, cooling mist, lorenzo, maxxfab, modern performance, needswings, perrin, rage technologies, rev it up motorsports, zzapp, and many more. One a side note a lot of people think that the stage 1,2 and 3 upgrades do not void your warranty which is false. You can put Mopar parts on your car and keep it under warranty but you can not put Mopar performance parts on your car and keep it under warranty.

Here is a thread in srtforums asking what mods should or could be done with $1500 to an srt-4. http://www.srtforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117032&highlight=turbo+upgrade.

Here is a thread for some cheap handling upgrades to an srt-4 http://www.srtforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112111&highlight=cheap+handling.

There really is a plethora of information on different ways to tune an srt-4 out there. I know the stock srt-4 engine/tranny can hold 500 +hp (I have a video of one being dynoed at 500 +hp if someone wants to host it). If we were talking strictly stock engines and tranny I thought the srt-4 could hold more hp/torque than a stock wrx. If I am wrong though pls post some info so I can read it. I'm not sure how cheap the upgrades are for the wrx. If you have some kind of factual information you are willing to share about upgrading the wrx cheaper and faster than an srt-4 I would love to read about it, but spineshank38 got it right when he said "if you got the money you could do w/e you want to an engine." !Thumbs Up

#187 ·
There is no doubt that a srt-4 is cheaper to mod.. but if i had to go with a fwd car it wouldnt be a srt-4. A civic hatch B18C1 garret t/3 t/4 63trim call it a day for around 10k. srt-4s are nice and all but if they would change the body style i would probly get one.. yeah the srt-4 has a beastly motor that is true.. thats where all the money is spent on the srt-4.. the body style isnt nice"but can be made nice like any other car" and the interior is cheap.. but yea it is only a 20k to 19k car.. my wrx interior makes it look like benz compared to the srt-4..

Every tuner car out there has its good things and bad things.. its all about what you want and how much you plan on spending.. hell i could make a civic rip a z06 vet at the track.. but the vet would rip it soon as a turn would come up.. if you just want 1/4mile performance then yes i would agree the srt-4 would be a better choice.. if you want handleing in all weather conditions and enjoy riping down back roads.. then a wrx would be a better choice.. with enuf money you could make a wrx a drag king.. and with enuf money you could make a srt-4 handle as good as any rally car.. just my 02..

#188 ·
oh, i will not argue thier reliabilty, i just seriously want to see a 800k mile SRT4 in the future, chrysler knows how to build a good engine, but only do it so rarely now, unlike with the slant six and hemi engines from the muscle era. because people have made the leaning tower of no power last more than 800k, and guys have gone a year with broken cranks and 2 with rod knocks. and the SRT4 engine is built even harder and stronger than these engines. these engines have alot more potential than is probably known yet. its got strength over the suby engines here as in U.S. i got a hotrod mag where they looked at the motor, ill post it if anyone wants to see it. they might have a neon body, but alot is replaced for better. i have my pro's and cons, just my info must be gettin mixed up... to much reading, not enuf seein

i forgot i posted on here so early on... dont even remember writing that but i did think it had two cats because thats what i read somewhere and thought it made sense for the fact it has no mufflers. and the mileage is what i was reading from like 3 mag test but figured now since ive pulled an average of 24mpg (with just uppipe) in my rex with 50/50 driving maybe all the bad mileage cars get better than what i hear or see.

i welcome any car and will beleive what it truly does, any car can do anything to a limit, also depending on $$$

#192 ·
just wondering, but did the person pokin fun at me about the two cat in an srt4 figure out that the wrx has 3 stock cats? and only one turbo? i dont see it in any replys and not sure of its wording.

thanks antyoo, ive only seen one in my area and one in tricounty mall area here. except the one i saw on a dyno they said was going to be hitting 475 whp at minimum. but the one i saw in my area isnt a reg. first time and only time i saw him. i heard a PSHHH kinda low as he took off from a stop light. plate said something like BUSTED

#194 ·
Neon owner

I can't tell you why the wrx has 3 cats. I just know that the srt-4 is not required to have 2 cats unless it had a real dual exhaust such as a twin turbo setup so it wouldn't be logical for it to have extra cats on it. Maybe the wrx had to have extra cats put on for emissions, or maybe it is just to slow you down. I'm sure it wasn't unintentional however I don't feel like researching that for you. Maybe you could find out some things like why it has 3 cats, how much power you make by removing them, and if it is legal to remove some of them? !Thumbs Up

#195 ·
The WRX has 3 cats because of cold start emissions. The closer a cat is to the head of the engine, the faster it will heat up. Cats don't work well until they are hot.

Imported cars usually have more stringent emissions demands than domestic cars. Mainly because they are sold all over the world, and they have to meet emissions demands for all the countries they are sold in.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

#196 ·
Cosmo said:
The WRX has 3 cats because of cold start emissions. The closer a cat is to the head of the engine, the faster it will heat up. Cats don't work well until they are hot.

Imported cars usually have more stringent emissions demands than domestic cars. Mainly because they are sold all over the world, and they have to meet emissions demands for all the countries they are sold in.
The real reason it has 3 is so it can meet LEV (Low Emission Vehicle) standards. AsCos said it helps in the cold start area. The pre-cat lights up a lot faster which is how it can pass as LEV. Why Subaru wanted LEV for their performance car is beyond me.

What nation has more stringent auto emissions standards than the US?

#198 ·
i done had all three removed, i would say atleast one is required and now that ive figured it out. uppipe shouldnt matter, but might. the one in the DownPipe would be the one to keep for warding of the dreaded CEL, but is hard to see. where as the mid pipe shouldnt set off a CEL but is easily visible for the checks. i think people like Txs says thier catless turbo back made 193 awhp i think alone over the stock 167.

like i said some article i read on it, this was right before its release, an actual magazine used the term "catalytic CONVERTERS" leading me to think it had two. otherwise i wouldnt of thought it. still dont remember the one i read it in, maybe my hot rod issue??

its as i said before, i got respect for them, an american sport compact that can really hold its own no matter the put downs. u cant say its a ricer either, where as i get ricer and so on because my cars japanesse. but they didnt laugh to much when i was spanking them....

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.